Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/253/199

Height: 5'3"

Default Online or Telephone Meetings?

I looked up meetings in my little town, and the only one within 30 miles of my town is at 8pm on Mondays and there is no way that could work with my schedule. (I am fairly new in town and don't know anyone to babysit my daughter. And since my husband travels for work, it's just me and her most of the time.

I was looking on the OEA website and I found this page about Online and Telephone Meetings.

Has anyone tried them?

I know they may not be as effective as the face to face meetings, but since I'm limited in options right now I thought I'd ask here if anyone has found them helfpful?
SugarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #2  

Yes, they are both very good and I highly recommend them to people especially if f2f isn't happening. We need each other and this is a great way to stay in touch with people that suffer from this disease.

patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #3  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I may try that myself. I live in a good-size city, and there might be 3D meetings, but right now I can't get out of the house. I have terrible arthritis in my back, and this relentlessly cloudy and rainy weather is causing me severe pain.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/163/140

Height: 5'3

I will check this out!!! thanks
I so need it.

Last edited by planzaro; 02-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.
planzaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 AM   #5  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

SugarJunkie~ Did you try one? I was just coming here to ask the same exact question. The closest face to face meeting for me is 40 miles away, and with schedules and babies and everything there's no way I can make it. So I was wondering about the online meetings (since I have a fear of talking on phones, online makes more sense for me). So if you tried one, did you like it? Was it helpful? What was it like?

Anyone else have any opinions?
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

I attend online meetings, but nothing compares to F2F ones. Even if you don't have OA meetings in your area, go to open AA meetings. You'll get the 12 step teaching that way.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 269/184/149

Height: 5'7"

YES! I do the phone meetings, but only the ones that say 90 days next to them, they are on the same eating plan I am on.
Sheila7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5'0"

I just participated in my first telephone meeting last night. I couldn't believe how great it was! It was a newcomer meeting, there were two recovering (experienced) speakers, and they were both so insightful. I got a lot out of it, and some laundry folded too! You don't have to speak, you can just sit back and listen. They allowed for some Q&A after they both told their stories. I'm telling you, it was fabulous. I can't wait for my next one.
~Heather
winsomehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/275/175

Height: 5'5"

Hi, all,

This is my first post in this group. I'm trying to come back to OA after a terrible relapse. Anyway, I hope it's ok that I respond here.

I found very good online meetings at www(dot)oa12step4coes(dot)org. I attended four of these meetings last weekend, and was really surprised at how helpful they were. I was even able to find a sponsor there.

Also, www(dot)therecoverygroup(dot)org has online meetings, but I have not attended any of theirs.

I used to go to a face-to-face meeting in my town, but the group was very, very small, and after about a year it just fizzled out. I still meet regularly with one lady from that group, who is a great friend of mine now, but neither of us feel equipped to lead a group.

I am very fond of the oa12step4coes groups, and hope to continue working with them. Maybe they'd be a good fit for some of you as well.

Hugs,

Bette
BeeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/160/130

Height: 5'2"

I just had my first online meeting. The support was amazing, and I was really able to get crazy things off my chest bc I felt safe sitting at home, with no one staring at me.

I think it would have been just as helpful in person though. Everyone one was so supportive and friendly. I will be going back. I highly recommend it. You realize from hearing other's stories that you are not alone.

Alexah
Alexah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 222/217.1/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomehill View Post
I just participated in my first telephone meeting last night. I couldn't believe how great it was! It was a newcomer meeting, there were two recovering (experienced) speakers, and they were both so insightful. I got a lot out of it, and some laundry folded too! You don't have to speak, you can just sit back and listen. They allowed for some Q&A after they both told their stories. I'm telling you, it was fabulous. I can't wait for my next one.
~Heather
That is so great to hear! I really may have to try one soon!
Evee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchkey Princess View Post
SugarJunkie~ Did you try one? I was just coming here to ask the same exact question. The closest face to face meeting for me is 40 miles away, and with schedules and babies and everything there's no way I can make it. So I was wondering about the online meetings (since I have a fear of talking on phones, online makes more sense for me). So if you tried one, did you like it? Was it helpful? What was it like?

Anyone else have any opinions?
I have fear of talking on phones too. Part of my anxiety disorder I guess. I tried an OA meeting online many years ago and all I got were a lot of people wanting to call to check in with me all the time. For someone who can get extremely anxious to the point of passing out over a simple phone call, working the OA program was likely not going to happen for me.

The phone issue is back after a lapse in mental health treatment, but I still wonder if their is another online meeting I could try since the closest meeting to me are quite a commute. If I have to commute, I won't go.

I am a former member of WW and did quite well with it. At that time I was also seeing a psych and on medication for all my disorders. Not anymore. I have gained all my weight back and not able to see a doc.

I did try TOPS as they are close and very inexpensive, however I got nothing out of the meetings. It seems that particular group was more interested in paying pennies for games and such, as well as having games for prizes. I need more than that. I need to talk about recipes, exercise and food in general like the WW meetings did. I needed that f2f interaction.

The computer is fine, it keeps me busy. I am on it all day for work and school so it is rather convenient for me.
irishchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/250/150

BeeJr, so glad you are here and posting! The more posts the better! I'm thrilled to log on today and see more people posting in the OA forum. I'm new and I NEED each and every one of you!!!

I'm fortunate to have about five meetings a week nearby, but I've also been told that if you can't make it to an OA meeting, to go to an AA or an Al-Anon meeting.

It seems like AA is EVERYWHERE and sometimes even 3x a day!! I've also thought that if I was somewhere that didn't have an OA meeting, I would consider STARTING one. Just find one more person in the area and start meeting at the same place at the same time each week. I was reading a story in the OA book and that is how it got started! The lady started by going to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting and then decided that she could use the steps to help her with compulsive overeating!

Good luck with whatever you do!!!
TexasHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJr View Post
Hi, all,

This is my first post in this group. I'm trying to come back to OA after a terrible relapse. Anyway, I hope it's ok that I respond here.

I found very good online meetings at www(dot)oa12step4coes(dot)org. I attended four of these meetings last weekend, and was really surprised at how helpful they were. I was even able to find a sponsor there.

Also, www(dot)therecoverygroup(dot)org has online meetings, but I have not attended any of theirs.

I used to go to a face-to-face meeting in my town, but the group was very, very small, and after about a year it just fizzled out. I still meet regularly with one lady from that group, who is a great friend of mine now, but neither of us feel equipped to lead a group.

I am very fond of the oa12step4coes groups, and hope to continue working with them. Maybe they'd be a good fit for some of you as well.

Hugs,

Bette
Thank you for this site. I would have never of found it! I did search through the list at the OA site as well. I attended my first online meeting in 5 years through the website you provided and I found it to be very uplifting. I plan to attend some this weekend as well. I would like to try a few times a week. For the life of me I cannot find my materials from when I tried the program so many years ago, so I might have to shop around on ebay as I can't afford the OA prices right now.

Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHope View Post
BeeJr, so glad you are here and posting! The more posts the better! I'm thrilled to log on today and see more people posting in the OA forum. I'm new and I NEED each and every one of you!!!

I'm fortunate to have about five meetings a week nearby, but I've also been told that if you can't make it to an OA meeting, to go to an AA or an Al-Anon meeting.

It seems like AA is EVERYWHERE and sometimes even 3x a day!! I've also thought that if I was somewhere that didn't have an OA meeting, I would consider STARTING one. Just find one more person in the area and start meeting at the same place at the same time each week. I was reading a story in the OA book and that is how it got started! The lady started by going to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting and then decided that she could use the steps to help her with compulsive overeating!

Good luck with whatever you do!!!
I wish someone could start a group closer to me. I live in a small town, surrounded by more small towns. LOL. The closest OA (even AA) meetings are in the bigger cities, both a good 30min away. I just can't get myself to drive that far, so I will stick to online until something comes closer. We do have TOPS and WW meetings very close, but those are not what I need at this point in my life.