South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Default Started SBD today, and I am terrified! (questions)

So I have lost 80-90LBS doing things my way and counting calories...initially watching my carb intake closely, but then recently watching carbs when I felt like it...'Cause HEY...I make the rules. I know with my genetics that I need to REALLY watch my carbs to do well...and right now I am being a child, so I need rules to help keep me in line. That said I get SUPER DUPER sick when I reduce my carbs drastically (as per phase 1). I have EXTREME withdrawal and feelings of depression like life is not worth living without carbs....I am a total drama queen...but I am really that mentally unstable! Here are my questions: My blood sugar (fasting) is low (low range of healthy)...even when I had consumed an excess of carbs the day before. Should phase 1 cause my blood sugar to drop too low? Also...I do A lot of working out: an hour of running on the treadmill, some weights, aerobics tapes (all in the same day)...days when I do not hit the gym I walk 10-12 miles...Is it ok, and safe to do all of those things (or even possible)...while on Phase 1? Thanks guys, I just need some encouragement because I have such apprehension. And maybe a hug or 2. ~Sara.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #2  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

hi, unfortunately I haven't the slightest as to the answer to either of your questions (sorry!) but I wanted to ask about your feeling depressed and having extreme withdrawal during phase 1.
Do you remember when you did P1 before if you had your alottment of dairy and beans? A lot of girls here find that is the difference between feeling satisfied and tweeking. LOL
I did several low carb plans in the past, and always felt witchy and blue for the first 4 or so days. Headaches etc. Tired..etc. Tweekin' for my sugar hardcore.
This is my first time on SBD and in P1 I did have beans and the full allowance of dairy, and I had no headaches, no more tiredness than usual etc. I was kinda witchy day 2ish but then AF arrived so I think it was just TOM. The dairy has lactose and the beans have complex carbs to get you over the hump.
Hopefully some of the veterans will be by to answer your other questions.

PS I am hypoglycemic and if that;s a synonym for low fasting blood sugar I was still able to do a P1 while not having low sugars, feeling faint or etc. I think, again, the legumes and dairy were critical for this.

Last edited by Natalia; 06-20-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Wait...your blood sugar is the low side of normal when you're on Phase 1??? As long as it's still in the normal range, I don't see a problem w/ that as long as you're not yo-yoing back and forth.

I don't know...in some ways it almost sounds like you're self-medicating depression w/ carbs. Have you ever looked into that???
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #4  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

If you're really worried about it, include one carb a day with phase one.

Personally, I think that if you include the 2 servings a day of dairy and the serving a day of beans, you won't have too much trouble. I had no trouble on phase one (this time around). The older South Beach diet gave me killer headaches in phase one, but it didn't include dairy. I know that carrots are "forbidden" in phase one, but I included carrots, which helped me with the whole low sugar, drama queen kind of thing. Make sure you spread out the dairy and the beans throughout the day.

I didn't exercise during phase one, but some people who do have reported some tiredness. Again, you don't have to start in phase one if this is the case. Or you can plan on lightening the workouts some for a week or two. I've seen some of your posts before about your workouts, and a rest week might help your program, depending on how long you've followed the workout schedule you've posted.

I'm hoping that some of the more experienced South Beachers weigh in here, but please don't be afraid!! I think that you will have success on the beach, and it will help you expand your food choices to bring more variety into your diet in the long run.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #5  
On my way

Natalia-I didn't know about the beans and dairy until I read the stickies yesterday morning, and I wasn't able to get the beans together...I'll be cooking some today because I hate the canned stuff! (oh, and I have never done ph 1 before, I have just had times where I didn't eat any carbs (Atkins style)...never lasted more than 2-3 days)

Natasha1534- My blood sugar is on the low side of normal when I have been eating a lot of carbs. I know carbs will improve my mood, its basic serotonin etc. How I feel without them is comparable to PMS. Plus I am probably extra sad because I can't eat a lot of foods I like. I just have to cowboy up.

fcmonroe- I switch up my workout schedule and do different things all the time, but I am thinking that I will cut back to one workout a day for at least this week. (and take a day or two off). And I think your right, being limited in this capacity will force me to concentrate on variety more.

Thanks all!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 218.5/126

Height: 5'3"

Just wanted to say congrats for the weight you've lost so far! That's amazing and a real inspiration. Good luck with the rest of your weight loss journey!
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #7  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

mescelestus, keep in mind that SB is not a no carbs way of eating. There ARE carbs in beans, veggies etc. After phase 1, it's not "no carbs", just good ones such as whole grains. You will just be replacing processed yucky carbs with good ones and you'll feel great!! If you are open to trying new grains, you'll be amazed how satisfying they can be.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have a few thoughts and comments to add. Great job on your loss to date! I would not usually recommend anyone skip PH1 but if you are already limiting your carbs and don't have cravings, maybe you should just start on PH2. I personally found it a bit harder to work out at the beginning of PH1 but the beans did help. Be sure not to confuse this, as many do, with a "low carb" diet like Atkins. As others said, you can eat plenty of "good" carbs. And I have found that I personally have to really watch my grains to stay on track, but other carbs don't bother me or cause cravings or overeating. Good luck!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #9  
On my way

Femmecreole- I know that it's not "no carbs" But phase 1 sure does feel like it. And as for phase 2...I'll be right at home, but I just have to get there first.

Waistingtime- I have watched my carbs on and off...a lot less lately...so I have to do phase one, I hope there will be (well I know there will be just not how much) a little extra loss that will help keep me motivated...and I really do need to do this as an exercise in growing up and doing what I gotta do.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Congratulations on the amazing weight you've lost so far! That's pretty impressive, and you should be pretty darned proud of yourself!

Take a look around the recipes in the Phase 1 recipes section. You'll find some really good recipes for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks to help keep you feeling full and motivated. Just take it one day at a time, and before you know it, you'll be finished with Phase 1. Two weeks goes by really fast, you'll be amazed.

As for exercising, do whatever you feel you can do in Phase 1. You can start out slow and increase your exercise time gradually as you start feeling more energetic.

Good luck, and come here for lots of support and motivation.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #11  
On my way

Thanks cottage, I have been surfing the recipes for like an hour now, I am AMAZED at how creative you all are and the recipes themselves. I am super duper creative: a singer, artist, and jewelery maker...but I guess I didn't get the food creativity gene. I was able to do about half of what I usually do cardio wise today...Can't bring myself to do any weights, but I am going to do an abs tape...that doesn't exasperate me too much!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #12  
Atkins Girl For Life

S/C/G: 227.5/154/140

Height: 5'4"

Sara,
I have been an Atkins girl for almost 2 years before this week when I changed to SB. Now, I have *tried* to do SB MY WAY.. because of all the hardcore Atkins stuff that was engrained into my brain and I can tell you one thing. I HATED IT! This time? I am loving it! Do you know why? I am following it as it is written! ~ simple concept huh?

I have found that SB Phase 1 is NOTHING like Atkins, and for that reason you don't have the crashes. I haven't anyway. I haven't had any "induction flu" mess, and if I remember correctly SB really isn't a "low carb" diet, but instead a good carb diet.

As for the exercise... is there a reason you do so much? I used to be that way because I thought I *had*to in order to lose. (And you have done amazing in the losing dept). When I slowed it down, I realized I began losing more and leaning out (in a good way). Now I workout a few times a week a the gym, swim almost daily with my kids, and I have some days where I enjoy doing nothing.

I say give SB a chance, do the full Phase 1 for 2 weeks, and then move on up to Phase 2. I am here for support (as a newbie) if you need it!
sckakame is offline   Reply With Quote