Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #1  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Italian Beet Green Gratin

I bought a lovely bunch of beets at the Farmers Market yesterday and wanted to make something using the greens. Did you know beet greens are a good source of iron, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamins A, C and B-6? That's a powerful little veggie and in this recipe you get a full one cup per serving...and you almost don't even know it's there!

Italian Beet Green Gratin
4 servings

1 T. olive oil
1-2 clove garlic, minced
3/4# hot Italian sausage
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 C. beet greens, cleaned and removed from stem
1/2 C. fresh basil, coarsely chopped
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 C. cottage cheese
1/2 C. fresh shredded Parmesan

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the olive oil in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sausage and cook until sausage is no longer pink. Do not burn the garlic; reduce heat if needed. Add the mushrooms, turn heat down to medium-low, and cook until mushrooms are tender. Add the beet greens and basil; mix well. Remove pan from heat.

In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese. Combine everything and put into a lightly oiled baking dish. (I used a glass pie plate.) Bake for 30-45 minutes.

Calories 230
Fat 14.1
Carbohydrate 6.1
Protein 19.6

This is the original recipe.

I served this with 1 ounce brown rice pasta spaghetti style (I can't eat wheat) and a salad with leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and Italian dressing.
Meal totals - Calories 434; Carbs 34; Fat 23; Protein 25. Very filling and very yummy!

Enjoy!

Edited to add: You might be able to substitute fresh spinach for the beet greens.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-20-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #2  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

That looks scrumptious.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote