Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Question Ketone Stix/Strips

Are they to be used with first Morning Urine?Will the test be accurate if we use while Menstruating?
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I have never used them so don't know. Why are you using them?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #3  
It is what it is...

Butter butt - I have used them and I dont think it has to be done first thing in the morning, I just use them whenever ...also being on your period will not effect the ketones in your urine ( that I have ever heard of )
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I have never used them so don't know. Why are you using them?
Ketone strips measure the ketones in your urine. It's very important for T1 diabetics to keep track of ketones, because for them it can be a sign of a high PH in the blood due to very high sugar (they don't have the insulin to bring the sugar down). In T1s, high ketones can lead to a very dangerous condition called ketoacidosis... it's the acid from the high PH, indicated by the ketones in the urine, that can do damage.

For T2s, ketoacidosis is usually not a concern, because we make some insulin... we just don't respond well to it (insulin resistance). Strict low-carb diets like Atkins and Bernstein are "ketogenic diets", meaning they aim to restrict carbs so much that the body switches for fuel from carbs to ketones. Thus, some low-carb dieters use ketone strips to see if they're "ketogenic" -- producing ketones for fuel.

Pretty good overview of the difference:

Quote:
Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.
Hope that helps clarify.

Personally, I don't use them, even though I eat low-carb. If I'm not craving bread and I'm not hungry all the time, I'm in the right low-carb zone for me.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I have been doing low carb for a while, and don't usually have ketones in the morning, (aiming for ketosis) which I suspect is due to the liver slowly releasing glucose overnight. Usually in a couple of hours after breakfast I start to have ketones. They increase over the course of the day.
just my experience
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #6  
Woman on mission!

Ruthxxx,
To test for Ketones in my Urine.Since my Blood Sugar has been elevated much for Months,I'm concerned so want to test.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #7  
Woman on mission!

Synger,
Early April 2009,I went to Emergency with a BS of 253 or 256.Attending Physician told me usually Ketoacidosis isn't present unless the Patients BS is 600-700 +.An ABG,Arterial Blood Gas is performed to rule it.A Cousin's Son,age 15 is Type I since age 3.He Tests often for Ketones.