South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/145/130

Height: 5'3"

Default One Week into SBD Am Frustrated as Heck

I started SB last Monday. I'm 2 months shy of 50 and in the last year, have gained quite a spare tire through eating pretty much whatever and drinking beer and wine. I've followed the "do eat" and "don't eat" foods with exception of eating a Fiber One yogurt with fruit this week because I was starving and it was the only thing available. I exercise with a personal trainer twice a week and walk my dog most days. Drank tons of water. I've only lost 1 pound. I am wondering if this has to do with my age and my metabolism? Or, are my expectations too high? I'm reading the book and message boards on the internet and everyone is losing 5-12 pounds in two weeks. Has anyone else my age had this experience?
AnneH10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Anne and

I lost more on P1, but I had alot more to lose, too. For me, SBD is about so much more than weight loss. I am 52, and have been following SBD for just over a year now. When I follow this WOE as a catylist for super postitive health benefits, I am always happy and take the WL as an added benefit.

I believe you will lose weight, but it will come off at it's own pace while you are getting healthier daily. It sounds like you are already practicing other healthy habits such as exercising and drinking water...you just need to add healthy food habits. The chicks who didn't have so much to lose will chime in, too. I didn't take my measurements when I started SBD, but I know I lose inches many times when I'm not losing pounds. Feel free to post a typical day's menu, too, and we can see if there's anything we could suggest that might help.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Hi Anne My son is in college right around the corner from you.

I agree with everything Debbie said. And I do suggest you measure. Lots of beachers see progress in the inches before the scale.

You have very little to lose. I think the reality is that the less you have to lose, the slower it comes off. But research shows time and time again that the more slowly you lose, the more likely it will stay off!

Hang in there.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #4  

I'm not on SBD but I saw your post so I hope it's ok if I make a comment.....

At 5'3" and 145 lbs, you don't have much weight to lose. Our body needs fewer calories as we lose weight so you are already starting out at a relatively low calorie need, I'll bet. Just be patient and the extra weight will come off. And it's great that you're adding exercise into your routine. I'm a big believer in exercise along with healthy eating. Good luck!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/145/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Thanks for the replies

Hi everyone - thanks for the comments. i do realize 15 pounds isn't that much and has something to do with it. It's also in a stubborn place! I think the important thing to remember is the numbers don't count, the healthy lifestyle does.
AnneH10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just give it time. I was 52 when I started (and had a lot more to lose)...it would not come off sometimes and at other times, whooooosh I'd go down a size..
Just focus on the healthy and the rest will follow in good time.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #7  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

I'm 47 and I have a lot more to lose, but I only lost 2 pounds my first two weeks on South Beach. It was very frustrating, but when I started phase two I started losing more reliably. I'm not sure why.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Another Anne here. I'm 53 and don't lose as fast as I used to, but love SB and feel so much better on it, even if not losing. Hang in there!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/146.6/129

Height: 5'5

hi Anne..
Honestly that alcohol weight, especially around the midsection, is brutal to lose. I cut out alcohol for 2 weeks (not a drop!) and not a change... It takes especially hard work and sacrifice (well at least in my part) to lose the beer belly/wine wiggle.

Good luck!
lisa130 is offline   Reply With Quote