General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Default I just don't get it....don't like it, but can't stop watching Real Housewives...

I feel like I am one of those people that has to look at the yellow tarp on the road after an accident---I know I shouldn't, but I kind of want to look anyway. What am I talking about? Well, the Real Housewives franchise of course.

Part of me has to constantly turn the channel in disgust, the other part of me makes me turn it back. Why? Well, I am disgusted at the image of the somewhat lazy uber rich housewife who does charity work from time to time, gets manicures and facials and spa treatments constantly, and has a nanny raise her children. And another part of me wishes I could live that life---with a guy who thinks I am worth it and actually does spend money on me, rather than the other way around, the ability to go to the spa, etc. The only difference being that I would not choose to have a nanny. I just don't understand that aspect of it, but it may be more of a cultural issue as well.

What I don't understand is why these women, some of whom seem vapid, seem to get more and more great things---Bethenny, who I used to like, but now have doubts about, is now married, has a kid, and her "skinny girl" brand seems popular. I don't really agree with some of her health recommendations, and I don't really feel like she is the best person to discuss health or weight issues with. And yet, I think she is gorgeous and wish I could be thin and married and have a child as well (though hopefully full term).

sigh......
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #2  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Oh boy, you have just uncovered one of my food-free guilty pleasures:
The Real Housewives shows (and I mean all of them: New York, Atlanta, Orange County, and Jersey.) I even have my husband hooked on them!
I watch them in utter fascination at lives so different than mine. I am constantly amazed at the twists and turns in friendships and the much ado over nothing. I would never have imagined that women would speak to each other like they do. Here in the South we are loving to our friends and cordial to our enemies! As far as them being well off, they seem to be, but I noticed in the Orange County group that more than one couple lost their home this year -- just like the real world. Like I said, it's a total reality relief for me. Maybe that's a good thing these days.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglasscock1 View Post
Oh boy, you have just uncovered one of my food-free guilty pleasures:
The Real Housewives shows (and I mean all of them: New York, Atlanta, Orange County, and Jersey.)
I, too, watch all of them, and they are a guilty pleasure for me. At times, i do have to turn the channel because, it just seems that all of the arguing is done just for ratings and to promote something they are selling, ad nauseum.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am guilty, too!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I am beyond guilty of this offense. I love it too much, but then I hate it. Too bad my TV is almost always on Bravo. It is like a train wreck, I just cannot look away.

I think we must have a problem.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've also watched different episodes of these shows, and I feel guilty afterward, too, because they bring out a side of me that I don't like. They're pandering to the voyeuristic, jealous, superiority/inferiority complex part of me.

I get to covet what they have -- the money, the free time, the personal trainers, the ability to indulge their love of fashion & primping & dressing up.

But I also get to feel superior to them, because they're vapid, superficial, nasty, and sort of irrelevant & useless. And often they exhibit simply awful taste. Never has so much money been so poorly spent, to so little effect.

But honestly, that's the appeal. So I can feel myself to be better than they are, as a better person, even though I have much less than they do & am unknown & unimportant, compared with them.

Frankly, the show would draw me less if they were intelligent, tasteful, talented, involved in humanitarian causes, serious artists, winning literary prizes or science prizes. Then they'd feel just too perfect, and the balance the show attains of eliciting a sort of admiring disgust from me would be disrupted. I'd just feel plain out envious & couldn't stand being put in mind of all my shortcomings & imperfections.

Last edited by saef; 06-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm hooked on Bravo too. I love watching these shows because it just goes to show you... just cause you have money doesn't mean that you have class or elegance. They just THINK they have class, and so they keep saying so.

Plus I can't help being addicted to Kelly's psychosis. She's unintelligible.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I'm hooked on Bravo too. I love watching these shows because it just goes to show you... just cause you have money doesn't mean that you have class or elegance. They just THINK they have class, and so they keep saying so.

Plus I can't help being addicted to Kelly's psychosis. She's unintelligible.
Oddly, I understand what Kelly is saying most of the time---but she says it in a weird way, AND people take everything so literally, AND she doesn't ever clarify that it isn't to be taken literally. Like, when she was saying that Bethenny is always bad mouthing her, she didn't have to say it in a way that everyone thought she was being literal.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #9  

Height: 5'10

I am also guilty of watching this show and I have to say, some seasons I am less guilty about it then others. For instance, Real Housewives of new jersey right now seems fake as far as the Danielle drama but the other parts are just funny to watch.

I am 18 and find the show to be hilarious considering how it is so much like high school teenager drama.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin View Post
I am also guilty of watching this show and I have to say, some seasons I am less guilty about it then others. For instance, Real Housewives of new jersey right now seems fake as far as the Danielle drama but the other parts are just funny to watch.

I am 18 and find the show to be hilarious considering how it is so much like high school teenager drama.
Best.post.ever.

Completely.like.high school.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #11  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

High school drama? Absolutely. They could have also named these shows
"Mean Girls."
I watch a lot of true crime shows such as "Dateline Mysteries" or Forensic Files, etc. Maybe I like Housewives because they show such
untrue crimes! Crimes of excess and superficiality!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #12  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I used to watch just New York... but the preview of Teresa (NJ) flipping that table got to me and I had to watch, now I'm totally addicted to NY and NJ ...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #13  

I always wonder how they have lives like that. How do they get married to guys that don't expect them to work? I think that would be such a luxury, ya know?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #14  

speaking of housewives------does anyone ever think about their lives?

I used to not like Alex, but then, looking at her life, she seems so happy and lucky. I sometimes feel, and I know it isn't true, but I feel like guys prefer a thin body versus the face aspect. I know, that is a bad thing to say, but sometimes it does seem like that.

part of me would love to live like Alex and she does seem to have far more energy and vitality. I am looking forward to more weightloss assisting me with the energy aspect. I, too, want to be running on the beach, thin. I don't want my bf to wear a banana hammock, though.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

[curmudgeon] I've never seen any of these shows, but from what I hear, are these real "housewives"? As in, do they cook, clean, sew, pack lunch for the kids, a woman's work is never done kinda stuff, MY default definition of "housewife"; or do they have a maid to do those things for them? [/curmudgeon]

I hear the White House State Dinner Crasher and her husband made the cut for Real Housewives of DC
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote