South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Question Debating on the South Beach diet

Hey all

Just looking for some suggestions and advice here. I have been trying to really change my lifestyle here lately. I really want to become healthier and lose weight. I have recently graduated from college, and I hope to have a job soon. I have plenty of time to devote to any program that I choose.

Here has been my problem lately....I'm so very tired! It seems like no matter how early I go to bed or how much I sleep that I just can't get enought sleep. I have been tested for diabetes many times, but I have never tested positive; however, I do think I am prediabetic. Many times I find myself jittery and dizzy if I wait too long too eat....and my head seems to swim if I eat too much sugar. This is why I just really think I am prediabetic and on my way to full blown diabetes.

I am wondering if the reason I am not sleepy all the time is because I have a diet so high in refine sugars and carbohydrates.

Has anyone else struggled with this? If so, how has SBD helped you?
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi! It does sound like South Beach might be a good choice for you. It can level out those spikes in blood sugar that lead to low energy and cravings. I am a sugar addict and this WOE is the only thing that has controlled my cravings and binging cycles. Best of luck to you!
ChelseaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #3  

Sounds to me like South Beach might be just what you need.

My DH and I started 2 years ago at the advice of his doctor. His cholesterol was high and he had that "sugar belly" as I like to call it (me, I was just fat ). He had been drinking 2-3 cans of Mountain Dew a day, and sweets were a common thing in our house, along with pasta, white bread, etc. After the first two weeks were over (and they were REALLY HARD the first time. I mean really. I was so sick of eggs I wanted to scream), he tried a regular mountain dew and couldn't stand the sweetness.

2 years later our eating habits are much better and we're back on phase one to "refocus". But to this day he can't drink any full sugar soda, and overall white breads and pastas have lost their appeal to both of us.

Good luck!
Suz
SBSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/195/155

Height: 5' 8.5"

South Beach diet helped me with this very thing. I had antidepressants postpartum and they didn't even help as much as this diet has. The effects came on gradually, and there was a bit of withdraw at first. But I do notice a difference for me, even with not getting much sleep at night because I have a baby! As much of a McDonald's addict as I was, I will never go there and order a big meal with fries again. Not if it means I will feel like crap again. I am a fan of this diet.
Jarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

It should help with the tiredness!!

I'm 54 and feel like a kid again...tons of energy (I teach school which is so draining, but come home not 1/2 as tired as others at school)
Before I started 3 years ago, I always felt like the walking dead.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I am considering this eating plan too, but I'm concerned because I am really allergic to artificial sweeteners. Has anyone done this without using artificial sweeteners?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Melissa

If you are really interested in changing your lifestyle and becoming healthier, I feel this is a really great plan. The thing is, in order for the program to work, you really do need to say goodbye to refined sugar and white flour. If you are willing to do that, you will have more energy and I can tell you my blood sugar levels are super stable now. I used to get shaky and sick between meals, too....and likewise would get to a point that is hard to describe when I had overloaded on the sugar. I have been super busy this week and actually missed lunch yesterday(not my usual) and I made it all the way through my day without crashing.

I love eating healthy and I've found a way to work around the events in life such as dinners out, potlucks, picnics, campouts and such.

It had finally clicked for me that if I thought I was going to lose all my weight super fast that I was going to spend the rest of my life fat. I have found that if I stick to the principles of the program I lose slowly and surely. The pair of pants I wore today hadn't been out of the drawer since late March and I could tighten the belt a bit more.

Best wishes!

chickybird-there are beachers who don't use artificial sweeteners. I used more at first, because I wanted the sweet taste and find I use less and less all the time. You'd just need to evaluate for yourself. I don't think SBD would work too well if you decided you'd follow everything else but still use refined sugar.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I think you'll really like this way of life.

I'm not diabetic, but especially before SB, I waould have the sugar highs and lows. I thought I was eating healthy, and would try different levels of fat at lunch to see how I wouldn't "crash" in the afternoon. SB has taken care of a lot of that problem.

I notice it now especially when I go off plan, and eat something refined and/or with sugar in it. I feel like cr@p!!!

Hang out here with us!! The support is fantastic, and it makes it a lot easier to get through, and stick with.

Good luck!

(PS - I have two kids, and they're a lot more willing to eat "healthy" foods then most b/c of this diet!)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #9  
South Beach!

S/C/G: 197/186/130

Height: 4'11

I was as a Gestational Diabetic with my son and and was waaay overweight when I had him and it took me about 5 months to do WW and then finally decided to go to the beach. I have been on this diet for about amonth, almost, and am happy to say, fast food really has lost it's appeal.

SB is an awesome diet as you have to 'teach' yourself how to eat correctly. But the beauty of it is...no counting calories, no point counting, just eat what's on the list.

Good luck in all you do :-D
kcchubbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote