Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #1  

Default I need counsel

I have come to the conclusion that my deepest and most destructive addiction is that of dieting. DIETS DON'T WORK FOR ME! They only take my mind off the work God has for me in my generation.

But I am afraid! I am afraid if I give up dieting, and just give it over to God, that I will balloon up and be huge. Everything I have studied in the Bible says, to give it up, and I sense that is what God's telling me will break my addiction to food (because it will take away the forbidden fruit aspect). But I am too afraid to let go. I have let go before and been fine, but then for some reason I try to take control again. Now this time when I try to let go, I have been eating everything in sight!!! Is it too late for me? Has God swept me clean, and now because I allowed my thoughts to go where they wanted, 7 demons have come to torment me??? is my faith too damaged?

Luke 11:24 (The Message)

24-26"When a corrupting spirit is expelled from someone, it drifts along through the desert looking for an oasis, some unsuspecting soul it can bedevil. When it doesn't find anyone, it says, 'I'll go back to my old haunt.' On return, it finds the person swept and dusted, but vacant. It then runs out and rounds up seven other spirits dirtier than itself and they all move in, whooping it up. That person ends up far worse than if he'd never gotten cleaned up in the first place."

Do you think it's true? Do you think it's more of a sin to be overweight or be so caught up in dieting? Do you think if I just stop and dieting, and give it over to God that He will allow me to get huge???

Love Kelli

Last edited by Kelli; 04-29-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

That's a very interesting question, Kelli; and it's one I have asked myself and GOD on more than one occasion. I think that you may get varying opinions on this question ...

Personally, I think that GOD does not want us to diet at all -- like you, I haven't found any verses in the bible that support dieting as we know it. Actually, the opposite is true ~ I only found verses where it said that GOD wants to provide us with an abundance of good food, and He wants us to enjoy eating.

The only caveat I found was written by Paul, where he said that we should -- "Let our moderation be known to all men" -- and I believe that principle could cover anything, including eating and drinking. The same with the word gluttony; my dictionary says it means "to do anything in excess", including drinking and eating and other activities (ie drugs, gambling, working, etc).

I believe GOD wants us to eat well and enjoy it; but in moderation or regular meals, but the foods we like. I agree that becuz of our nature, we tend to overdo things when we are forbidden them; that may have been the point of that story really. When man is forbidden anything, the sinful part of his nature tempts him to desire it even more; so forbidding ourselves some things may be detrimental to our goals ...

I am trying to eat things I like but in normal servings, but it does take some practice and you do have to be courageous. Many people want to lose weight and lose it now (like yesterday) and are not willing to wait for it to come off slowly; and on the other side of that coin -- too many people are so judgemental of overweight people that they think we all should starve ourselves to death. That isn't healthy or wise, but it doesn't stop them from harassing people about it privately or in public either.

It is ironic that we live in a society that wants us to diet and lose weight, when we have people on the other side of the world who are starving to death from a shortage of food. So ... what to do; what to do? I am trying to buy the best food I can (meaning healthy and tasty) and enjoy it, but in moderation. Am I perfect -- in a word "NO" ... sometimes, I eat a bit too much, but I am trying not to fret over that anymore.

NOW, I am trying to look at food as an enjoyable FUEL for my body. If I eat a bit more than I planned on, now I just pray about it and move on. I know that may sound simplistic, but it isn't really. I think it takes great strength to battle the norm in any society, which today is one that is obsessed with appearance and dieting. I say battle, and it almost seems like a war (a spiritual one, in fact); as someone here mentioned one day.

Hope that helps you in some way ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #3  

It helps in every way! like you said it is so difficult to go against the norm. It seems that even we Christians are getting so caught up in what we look like on the outside, and it's taking all the focus off of God and putting it straight on the thing we are so desperately trying to avoid. Ahh Satan is so very clever. He has us so wrapped up in something that means so little. Our bodies are not even eternal.

Thank you so very much beautiful Rosebud. You have helped me tremendously. I really believe God is telling me that the ONLY thing that is required of me is, to love my neighbor as myself (loving myself is a prerequisite here), and loving Him with all my heart, mind and soul... and I do. I will stop thinking I have to do anything other than that, and join you in your courageous surrender.

Love, Kelli
Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
.....Ahh Satan is so very clever. He has us so wrapped up in something that means so little.
KELLI....Satan has no power over us if we rebuke him in the Name of Jesus Christ and the POWER He has over Satan!

Satan has no power over us if we focus on what Christ wants for our lives

What GREAT NEWS!

Christ has ALREADY defeated Satan!!!

In the scripture Luke 11:24-26 Jesus is referring to the work of the Jewish exorcists...they claimed to be able to cast out demons....but they rejected God's Kingdom....making their exorcisms ineffective.

Because you are a believer in Christ and one in His Kingdom....those demons cannot harm you!

ROSEBUDS words are wise....

but I would like to add this...

Why don't you take a deep breath....sit back and relax and do as you want to do and that is give it to God....

I will tell you how to do this....it's easy...Just go out and at every meal try to eat healthy foods...the ones you think God wants you to have. As Rosebud reminded us...in moderation....

Stop looking back at what you think Satan is doing and continue to look forward to the road our Lord and Savior has already laid out for us to travel on

I may not always give great advice but I can tell you this....God will and already has taken care of those demons and Satan....HE IS RISEN INDEED!

He doesn't need our help to battle them

He wants us to enjoy the good things in life....good foods...drink...families...worship...His WORD...

He does not want us to be taken down in worry of demons and Satan...

Prayers for your your journey continues
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #5  

Gary,

You said,
Quote:
Satan has no power over us if we focus on what Christ wants for our lives
Quote:
Because you are a believer in Christ and one in His Kingdom....those demons cannot harm you!
You are so right! and this morning I forgot this for a moment, WHOOHOO! It's never too late is it!

But this>>>

Quote:
I will tell you how to do this....it's easy...Just go out and at every meal try to eat healthy foods...the ones you think God wants you to have. As Rosebud reminded us...in moderation....
<<<< Is where I get into trouble, you see I am addicted to dieting and TRYING to eat healthy and in moderation is what gets me into trouble. The more I try the more focused I become on the object of my affliction

I think the advice that I need to take from you and as soon as I read it, I did...

Quote:
Why don't you take a deep breath....sit back and relax and do as you want to do and that is give it to God....
...Take a deep breath I mean, I felt my shoulders fall and relax, and, yes I remembered again to give it to God.

AAARRRGGGG! why is that so hard for me! WHO WILL SAVE ME FROM THIS BODY OF DEATH... Oh yeah, Jesus.

I admit, I get scared, thinking that I will never dig out of my messes, giving Satan way to much credit, therefore giving him way too much power over me! Thank you for reminding me. He is very, very smart, but God gave me dominion over every creeping thing, and made him (Satan) the lowest creeping thing there is. So yes he is smarter, but has less power over me than my chihuahua.

Quote:
I may not always give great advice but I can tell you this....God will and already has taken care of those demons and Satan....HE IS RISEN INDEED!
AMEN

Quote:
He wants us to enjoy the good things in life....good foods...drink...families...worship...His WORD...
Why is that so hard for me to believe!!!

Quote:
Prayers for your your journey continues
Thank you, I can't tell you how much that means to me!

Love Kelli
Old 04-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

God knows how you are going to react even before a situation has arisen. HE knows that I struggle with control. HE knows that I have to keep reminding myself that HE is in control ... or that I should listen better to His control

Just pray ... give the day to Him, give each meal to Him, give your grocery shopping trips to Him ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
I admit, I get scared, thinking that I will never dig out of my messes, giving Satan way to much credit, therefore giving him way too much power over me! Thank you for reminding me. He is very, very smart, but God gave me dominion over every creeping thing, and made him (Satan) the lowest creeping thing there is. So yes he is smarter, but has less power over me than my chihuahua.
KELLI ~ When I said it was easy to go and do what God wants us to do...eat healthy foods...I really didn't mean that...well...I DID!...but I know it isn't always easy for us...but it should be because He provides us the power to do that.

The problem is WE fail to follow...we, being human, always want to do it OUR WAY!...it is difficult for us to release it ALL to Him...we always want to help God out

Diets can be one of God's great resources....many have lost weight here on healthy ones...but from what I can figure out after all the years I have been here at 3FC and what works best for me is this....

watching my calories and eating, as much as possible, healthy foods....staying away as much as possible from anything in a box!

oh and chips cheese! ...my

I can't stress enough to you that Satan has no power over you! He has already been defeated...Satan only has power over you if you give it to him...even in small doses....

try this for me....

We can only think of ONE thing at a time...just ONE! The next time you find yourself thinking of Satan's power or power of demons...turn and go right into thinking of our Savior...go right into thinking of ANYTHING good that God gives us...family....healthy food...sunsets....rain...wind...ANYTHING but Satan!

Don't give any more power in your life....but remember too that we can be our worse enemies! We have a lot of power over the things we choose to do in our lives...good or bad!

BE GOOD!!! and I mean it!!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Kelli, They have given you some great advice. In First Place I do limit my calories to 1350 but I eat what I want just like Rosebud said in portion control. I believe God wants the best for us and sometimes that is not what we think is the best thing for us. He knew us before we born, he knows us better than anyone, we will struggle with our decisions but we learn as we go. I gained weight on weigh down and was feeling really bad , so I know that was not right for me, if I feel bad . I think God wants us to take different directions sometimes to stump our toes so we can learn from our mistakes. Now that I am headed back as Monday with First Place and I been doing portion control and exercising and making it fun exercise I am starting to feel better. Being healthy and letting God work on my soul to be the person he wants me to be, not the person I think I should be is what will be.
I do need day to day support that is why I joined back up with Outlook but since I joined I wondered why I have because God and I seem so much closer, maybe it is because I am headed in the right direction, only he knows. There is a church in walking distance from me for years but I thought it was private , aiming on walking to church this Sunday, oh maybe two miles from here. I don't know if I will fit in or not, it is an all denominational Communion Church.

Kelli, just have some quite time with our Father, pour your heart out to him, and he will guide you or send someone special in your life to help you. There are walking angels on earth, just look how many times yourself have helped me. Just like today I had a weak moment wishing I had someone else's body and they had mine, hmmmm. Well you brought me back to common sense thinking, thank You. Plus all the rest of you that replied! I need to be more thankful for what I have got and the body I do have, for there are a-lot of younger women that are not as healthy as I have been. When I go to the doctor they ask me how old I am, 57. What medication do you take? none. They exclaim, None! I say that's right None! They then proceed to tell me that people my age are normally on several medications. Well...........God made us all unique.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #9  

Whoa! That is powerful!

Quote:
We can only think of ONE thing at a time...just ONE! The next time you find yourself thinking of Satan's power or power of demons...turn and go right into thinking of our Savior...go right into thinking of ANYTHING good that God gives us...family....healthy food...sunsets....rain...wind...ANYTHING but Satan!
Gary, may I use that in my Bible study??? I will say I have a friend named Gary, and he gave me some great advice once"...

I just want to say thank you all who answered this post, so much for your help, you are all such a blessing!

Love, Kelli

Last edited by Kelli; 05-02-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Gary, may I use that in my Bible study??? I will say I have a friend named Gary, and he gave me some great advice once"...

I just want to say thank you all who answered this post, so much for your help, you are all such a blessing!

Love, Kelli
ABSOLUTELY! ....the knowledge of being able to only think of one thing at a time has saved me from many a bad/sad thought through my life!

And you, Kelli, are a blessing to us!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

KELLI I came across this scripture today in a Guideposts story I was reading...I thought of you and this thread....

"Humble yourself before God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." James 4:7 ~

God tells us we can do this in his word...again I stress..

the devil has no power over us if we look to Christ...none...zippo...nada!