Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Anyone have to deal with *yuck* a smelly belly button?

This is rather embarrassing. About a day ago, I noticed this scent in the air after getting out of the shower. Figured it must of been a dirty sock under the bed or something. So, today I'm at work, and I notice the smell again. ( I KNOW i'm not dirty, I shower every day ) As the day goes on I notice my belly button is starting to hurt. I put my hand there to see if it's cut or something, and I find.......where the smell is coming from. I then run to the bathroom to inspect, and my belly button is red and swollen, but not bleeding.

WTF caused this!! I did work out tonight, but not a full one, cause it's actually kind of painful. I showered after my workout, ran to the store and got some peroxide. After my shower I put some on a qtip, and it sizzled.

Not sure if I need to do anything else, or not? Has ANYONE ever had this happen to them? What was it? What did you do to make it go away? I swear, somedays the body can be just plain gross....
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #2  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I had this last summer. My belly button got red and it hurt, and it also smelled. It's a staph or bacteria infection due to sweat is what I was told. What happens is the sweat settles down there if you're really active. You'll need to go to the doctor and get some antibiotics. Mine went away after the antibiotics. The doctor said it was very common when the weather gets hotter, especially for heavier people.

Last edited by Asherdoodles87; 04-08-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It's an infection in the bellybutton - possibly bacterial, possibly fungal. I've never had this happen, but know people to whom it has.

Anyway - clean it out really well with hydrogen peroxide, put some antibiotic cream on a q-tip and apply, and make sure to dry it really well after showers...this has always cleared it up for DW. If that doesn't work, it's probably doctor time to get an antibiotic.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #4  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 248/231.4/150

Height: 5"1'

ewwwww......Ok, well, now I have a new obsession. Every night I will be cleaning out my belly button too.....
Never ever crossed my mind that you could get an infection in your belly button (makes sense, but again......ewwwwww)

I hope it heals up quickly for you!
bythenumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #5  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Lets not get worried, It happens to me all the time (during TOM usually...happened more when I was heavier) Usually keeping it clean and dry will fix it in a few days...here are things I do and it always goes away: Right after bathing put a clean paper towel over it and keep it in place with big underwear, or apply some sort of antibiotic cream once during the day and before you go to bed, or right after bathing liberally apply a medicated powder such as gold bond...all those things help me!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I've also had this happen to me, not often, maybe 3 or 4 times last summer? I just make sure to clean my belly button really good in the summer and dry it completely. And since then, no more funky smells!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I've had it happen a couple of times, and I think it was in the summer maybe last year. I used peroxide on a q-tip and it fizzed. I then just cleaned it with regular soap and water on a qtip for a couple of days. Didn't need to get any antibioics, just keep it clean and dry. If it doesn't clear up, you should prolly check with your dr. It isn't as odd as it seems at first, but it isn't something that should always be that way.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

There is a very good chance you have a yeast infection in your belly button. Yeast loves to get out of hand in warm, moist areas like a belly button. Definately make sure you keep it dry. If you have it availible in your area, get some Braggs apple cider vinegar, dilute with water (I've used 50/50 solution in the past). Apply with a q-tip a few times a day. Once the solution dries you can't smell it. ACV is a natural anti-fungal, anti-bacterial. Just make sure it's the Braggs. The other stuff is too over processed, the good properties are processed out.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Had it. Ditto everyone else.

Clean it, dry it, neosporin, if it doesn't resolve, see doc to figure out which type of infection it is.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #10  
Just keeping on truckin'

S/C/G: 265/240/114

Height: 5'2

This happens to me all the time too. Make sure it is always dry, and put polysporin on it. A good idea is to put some corn starch or such on the area after drying it and getting out of the shower, this will keep the area dry as well as soak up any water that you didn't wipe away! Good luck!
PinkFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

I had never heard of this until a previous thread mentioned it. I've never had it.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #12  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I was going to say yeast infection too yeast loves warm moist places!
My 3 year old sometimes gets it in her belly button.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #13  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

I have had this a couple of times - I use my daughter's bottom cream on it - it is Sudacrem. However, it seems to be a British brand, so it's basically a zinc oxide cream. I use it on other things too - it's a very fast healing cream.

"Sudocrem contains a number of ingredients and properties, such as:

•hypoallergenic lanolin, to help provide emollient properties
•zinc oxide is an astringent which reduces the loss of tissue fluid
•benzyl benzoate and benzyl cinnamate are amongst the ingredients of Peru Balsam, recognised for its healing properties
•benzyl alcohol is a weak local anaesthetic which acts to ease localised pain and irritation. It also acts as a disinfectant/antibacterial agent and is responsible for protection against common bacterial contaminants."
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #14  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

I have had this happen. Now, I use alcohol on a q-tip to make sure it is clean. That one thing has helped it and I have not had another one over the last 3 years. I also use wipe rubbing alcohol under my breasts and under my belly hang (YUCK). I use to always get red in those areas then end up with infections. With the rubbing alcohol I have not had a problem since I stared using it.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #15  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoThree View Post
I have had this happen. Now, I use alcohol on a q-tip to make sure it is clean. That one thing has helped it and I have not had another one over the last 3 years. I also use wipe rubbing alcohol under my breasts and under my belly hang (YUCK). I use to always get red in those areas then end up with infections. With the rubbing alcohol I have not had a problem since I stared using it.
I rub my axillae (underarms) with alcohol after I shower a couple times a week. Otherwise I get deep cystic acne-things that end up hurting if they grow. I also use it under my breasts sometimes, but now that I'm getting a bit older and my skin is beginning to show it, I've switched to the more gentle astringency of witch hazel.

In my navel, I sometimes feel a bit of moisture when I check, and that's the signal to me to make sure it's dry with a bit of tissue, and put some h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) in there. Otherwise I have gotten a few navel infections over the years, too.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote