Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default MARCH Daily DEVOTIONS

We welcome all devotions here ~ The ones I post are from Lutheran Church Missouri Synod Lutheran Ministries website

"Sure Deliverance"

March 1, 2010

And call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me. Psalm 50:15

A few weeks ago the roads of Pittsburgh were packed with snow.

It was during this time that 50-year-old Curtis Mitchell called 911 for help. He said his "entire stomach [was] in pain."

Two hours later Curtis would call again. That's the call where he asked, "What's the holdup on the ambulance?" Nobody had called him and said the emergency vehicle hadn't been able to get there because of snow.

In the next 28 hours, Curtis and his girlfriend, Sharon, would call again.

And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

If you skipped over that last line or if you haven't been counting, Curtis and his girlfriend called for help ten different times. By the time that last call was made by Sharon, her boyfriend had stopped breathing and when she touched him, he felt cold.

Curtis Mitchell died while waiting for help.

Public Safety Director Michael Huss said, "We should have gotten there. It's that simple." Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said, "It's unacceptable what happened; it needs to change. We're talking about somebody who lost their life, and it's no small matter."

It's a sad thing when people call for help and don't get it, isn't it? This is why the Lord's promise in Psalm 50 is so important. God says if we call upon Him in our days of trouble, He will not only hear us, but He will deliver us.

Now, that's a broad kind of promise that might make people ask, "Really? Can we be sure?" If that's where you're coming from, if that's the question you're asking, I'd like to tell you the answer: "Yes!"

When Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden, God gave them a promise of delivery. When the Children of Israel cried because of their enslavement in Egypt, God delivered them. When sinners came to Jesus, He delivered and restored them.

So we might be delivered from sin, Satan, and death is why Jesus was born. It is why He lived His life and died our death.

Now, because of His third-day resurrection from the dead we can be sure of our blood-bought deliverance and salvation.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord Jesus, I give thanks You have sacrificed Yourself for my deliverance from sin. Grant me the grace and ability to share Your story with those who still live under the burden of their transgressions. Let them learn how to call upon You in the day of trouble. In Your Name. Amen.

In Christ I remain His servant and yours,

Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran Hour®
Lutheran Hour Ministries
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

That was powerful!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Bad Christians"

March 2, 2010

(Jesus said) "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on My account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

Unless you're a Hollywood kind of person you probably don't know the name, Andrew Klavan.

On the other hand, if you are Clint Eastwood or Michael Douglas, the name Andrew Klaven would be familiar to you. You would know Klaven as a best-selling author, a screenwriter, and an individual to whom the media turns when they want some kind of comment on current culture or an evaluation of things entertaining.

Having said that you might be interested to hear what Klavan has to say about the way Christians and patriots are portrayed in movies and television.

Klavan says, ". . . anytime a Christian walks on Law and Order, you know he's the murderer. That happens a lot in films. Anytime somebody expresses any kind of religious view point, he's going to turn out to be hypocritical, especially if he's a Christian." Klavan continues, "He's going to turn out to be a hypocrite, or a hater, or something like that. When you watch movies, watch who turns out to be the villain -- how often he's the patriot (or) the Christian."

Well, I've watched, and Klavan is right. According to Hollywood, Christians are the perverts, the fanatical prudes, the pathetic people who are prejudiced, pompous, and pitiful.

Oh, there's one other thing we are: we are the people whom Jesus was talking about in Matthew 5. We are the Christians who, because we are Christians, are being reviled and persecuted and lied about.

Now, I don't think the folks who produce these programs are going to change their ways any time soon. They know an easy target when they see one. They know true Christians -- Christians who have been washed of their sins by the Savior -- aren't going to get violent or seek revenge. We're not going to try to kill them as members of some other religions might.

No, they're not afraid of us. "What are you going to do?" they ask, "pray for me?"

To which we reply, "Exactly! That's what the Savior said we should do in Matthew 5:44b. He told us: 'Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.'"

It's a good idea. Let's pray.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord Jesus, how sad it is the unbelieving world feels it is its sacred duty to tear at You and the work You have done in our lives. Today I ask that You will forgive my sins and allow my life to be a living witness to what You have done. In Your Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Believe It Or Not"

March 3, 2010

Jesus said to him, "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6

When some people read the Bible they say, "It's too hard for me to understand. I don't get it."

In truth, I do believe them.

I'm not afraid to admit there are passages in the Bible difficult for even the most learned scholars to figure out. I wouldn't hesitate to confess the Holy Scriptures contain some texts we will never fully comprehend until we have left this world and gone to the next.

Having made that admission and confession, I would also say the vast majority of the Bible is simple and straightforward and easy to understand.

For example, look at the passage that serves as our text for today's devotion: Jesus said He was the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. He didn't say he was a way, a truth, or a life. He didn't imply He was one of many ways. Jesus claimed to be the only Way, the only Truth, and the only Life.

That's pretty easy to understand, isn't it? I thought so, too. Sadly, a poll of the Presbyterian Church USA says that 36 percent of those members would disagree with this claim of Christ.

That's right, 36 percent disagreed or even strongly disagreed with the statement, "Only followers of Jesus Christ can be saved."

As near as I can tell those opinions aren't based on not being able to understand the Bible; they come from disagreeing with what Scripture says.

I'm not entirely surprised. St. Paul said this would happen. "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths (2 Timothy 4:3-4).

And what should we do when such time comes? St. Paul tells us that, too: "Preach the Word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort with complete patience and teaching" (2 Timothy 4:2).

That's pretty easy to understand! When people wander from the Bible, our job is to share the Savior's story of salvation. Understand?

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, for speaking to me in words I can understand, my thanks. May others also be brought to see the wonders of Your love which can reach out to the leper, the prostitute, the vain, the murderer, to me. For a Savior whose love can be appreciated by a sinner, my praise. For the opportunity to witness the faith You have given, my gratitude. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Good Times And Bad"

March 4, 2010

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? . . . Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 2 Corinthians 6:14,15b

Joseph Reyes decided to have his daughter baptized. Normally I'm in favor of parents taking care of their children's spirituality.

I'm not sure about the motivation on this one.

You see, according to his ex-wife, Joseph has not always been the most religious of fellows. For years he never felt the need to baptize his daughter. And then, all of a sudden, after a number of years, he just up and had his daughter baptized.

It was only after the baptism was over that Joseph sent pictures of the event to his ex-wife -- his Jewish ex-wife -- the wife he hadn't told about the baptism. The wife, Rebecca, was sort of surprised by the baptism. She had been raising her daughter in her faith, the Jewish faith. She had even made sure the girl was attending a Jewish school.

The wife concluded her husband had used the baptism of their daughter as a way to thumb his nose at her. That's a judgment call I'm not wiling -- or able -- to make.
On the other hand, Judge Edward R. Jordan from the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, had no such reservations. Having heard the story, the judge imposed a 30-day restraining order on the father. He forbade Joseph from "exposing his daughter to any other religion than the Jewish religion."

In case you missed it, the judge said, for 30 days the daughter can't be brought into contact with any faith other than the Jewish faith.

Now I've got a sneaky suspicion this story isn't over. No, I won't hazard any guess on how it will all turn out or how the daughter will turn out.

But I'm pretty sure the Lord isn't overly keen on seeing a child being used in such a way by her parents. Maybe that's why He told His people -- His men and women -- not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. The Lord says that because He knows just how poorly light and darkness mix.

They don't. Never have. Never will.

This is why, today, we pray for those who are young and looking for someone.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, there is no greater joy than to have a spouse with whom you can share your faith. Similarly there is no greater sadness than watching the souring of love between two individuals with different faiths. I pray You will send Christian partners to our Christian children. Bless them and grant them a home where they are yoked together in peace, in joy, and in Jesus. In the Savior's Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"God Answers Our Prayers"

March 5, 2010

So Peter was kept in prison, but the Church was earnestly praying to God for him. Acts 12:5

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

The salvation story of Jesus Christ reaches around the world. So that the readers of our Daily Devotion may see the power of the Savior on a global scale, we have asked the volunteers of our International Ministry Centers to write our Friday devotions. We pray that the Spirit may touch your day through their words.

In Christ, I remain, His servant and yours,
Kenneth R. Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran Hour

The twelfth chapter of Acts begins with King Herod on the rampage against Christians -- both persecuting them and killing at least one, James, the brother of John, with the sword. Seeing this murder pleased the Jews, Herod also had Peter arrested. In the following verses, we see how earnest prayers made to God by the early Church delivered Peter from his cell when an "angel of the Lord appeared," freed him, and led him out of prison.

The Bible shows us many examples of people whose prayers were answered by God. But sometimes we fail to understand God's answers to our prayers, or we refuse to admit God's timing might not be our own. His answer to prayer may be in the affirmative; it may be declined altogether, or it may be answered at a later point in time.

Even in this gloomy and despairing situation, when Peter surely feared King Herod would carry out his threat to kill him, he continued to trust in the Lord and the effectiveness of prayers. Having witnessed the appalling torture and crucifixion of Jesus just a few weeks before, would be no small reason to shirk back from following Him now.

But, of course, the resurrection of Jesus Christ changed everything. Peter now knew that God works through circumstances that, though bleak and seemingly empty of hope, are part of His divine plan in the lives of His creatures.

Do you consider your difficult and trying situations from a Christian perspective? The words of this text encourage us to do just that -- to pray confidently in such circumstances and rely on God. It teaches us about the importance of praying -- both individually and communally -- and entrusting our lives to Him, who alone has the power to save.

THE PRAYER: Heavenly Father, help us to understand You hear all our prayers and answer them according to Your will. Help us to stay faithful through pain, hardship, and uncertainty so that we may glorify Your Name. In Jesus' most holy Name, we pray. Amen.

Biography of Author: This devotion was written by Baipahoul Elie Marcelin, a church elder and Lutheran Hour Ministries-Cameroon volunteer. In this West African nation, LHM-Cameroon connects with citizens through Bible Correspondence Courses (BCC), Equipping the Saints (ETS) workshops, MP3 downloads of Christian music and Bible verses, choir concerts, booklets, and youth ministry.

To learn more about our International Ministries, click here or visit www.lhmint.org.

Pastor Klaus returns
again tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Press On"

March 6, 2010

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14

Folks who read the Daily Devotions make my life easier by sending me all kinds of their favorite stories. Here's one of those stories -- one which is about 1900 years old.

It begins with a man who bought a dog which was to be primarily used for hunting. Anxious to see how the dog would perform, he and a friend went out into the fields. It didn't take too long before the dog picked up the scent of a bear. The men knew it was a bear because they could see the tracks.

All went well until the dog stopped, sniffed, and started out in a new direction. The tracks said he was now following a deer.

A few moments later the dog halted and switched directions again. This time the dog had picked up the scent of a rabbit which had crossed the path of the deer. Again and again, the dog switched his prey.

Finally, the breathless hunters managed to catch up with their canine, who was triumphantly barking at the hole of a mouse.

It's a grand story, made the more so because it describes much of humanity. Too many people start out with great plans and giant aspirations. Sadly, the devil, the world, and the flesh do some serious distracting. One after another those temptations show up under our noses and folks eagerly, gladly follow them.

Yes, following those distractions seems like a good and grand idea at the time. But, in retrospect it is easy to see how a lot of ground was covered, but not much was accomplished.

Thankfully, it doesn't have to be that way. As St. Paul says to the church at Philippi, by the Holy Spirit's power we can press on toward the goal the Lord has given us. Distractions can be ignored and the goal can be pursued. It is possible not because we're so good; it is possible because the Holy Spirit is there to help us.

Every moment of every day He is there to provide the power, the wisdom, the guidance, the direction, and the persistence we need to remain faithful. True, faithfulness may not seem as intriguing as some novelty, but the end of the hunt does make it all worthwhile.

Now I wonder, are you thinking to yourself, "I'm a Christian. I know the Savior and I know my job is to be faithful." If you did know all of this, I am glad. But how many people in your family or in your circle of friends are chasing after one thing and then another?

How many have no direction?

Won't you please share this devotion with them? Let them know you don't want to see them spend their days chasing after things as inconsequential as a field mouse.

Tell them of the Savior who kept His eye on the goal of our salvation. Tell them and
then pray that they may see Jesus whose commitment kept Him unerringly on the path which gives all who believe forgiveness and eternal life.

From a devotion originally written for "By the Way"

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, send the Holy Spirit so I may press on. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Hiding Things"

March 7, 2010

Where shall I go from Your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, You are there!" Psalm 139:7-8

I have a friend whose business requires him to make frequent trips to Japan.

Although he has always been impressed by the honesty of the people at the hotel where he stays, to avoid temptation he has always hidden his prized camera before he leaves the room.

One day he was in a hurry and he simply forgot and left the camera out on the desk.
When he returned to his room he was saddened -- but not entirely surprised -- to find his camera was gone.

At least that's the way it seemed, until he discovered the maid had put the camera back in its regular hiding place.

It occurs to me that a lot of people try the same hiding stunt with God.

Because they manage to keep many of their sins and shortcomings hidden from their families and business associates, they are pretty sure they have managed to get away with their wrongdoings.

They think everyone believes they are innocent and without a thing to hide.

That's not so.

The Lord is very much like that Japanese maid. He knows about all of our sins, and He knows where we try to keep them hidden. Truly, it's impossible to keep anything from an all-knowing God.

Fortunately, we don't need to hide our sins. Those who acknowledge Jesus as their Savior also know He has taken away their sins and their need to hide them.

When we trust in Jesus to be our Savior, we can rest secure and be at peace, and we can be sure that hiding places for sin are a thing of the past.

THE PRAYER: Lord Jesus, You know me inside and out. There is nothing I have managed to keep hidden from You. Now may I, freed from sin's curse and the Law's accusation, spend my days in thanksgiving and praise. In Your Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"It's A Start"

March 8, 2010

They speak of You with evil intent; Your adversaries misuse Your Name. Psalm 139:20

Although most of us in the fly-over states love California, many of us have to admit we don't always understand.

We certainly understand when Californians brag about their climate, but we wonder why someone might build a multi-million-dollar house on a slope where a good rain will wash it down the hill.

We understand the benefits of being able to go swimming in the ocean and skiing in the mountains, but we don't understand the highway design which seems to produce 24/7 traffic jams.

We understand California often leads the way in fighting for social causes, but we don't always understand what those causes are all about.

Having said that, most Christians do appreciate the fact that California has been working with a resolution that would declare the first week in March to be "Cuss-Free Week."

In case you're curious, Cuss-Free Week is the idea of a South Pasadena teenager, McKay Hatch. Hatch founded a No-Cussing Club at his junior high. Today, his crusade to stamp out profanity has caused more than 35,000 people to join the No-Cussing Club.

Hatch believes a cuss-free world would be a more harmonious one. He maintains that we ought to use the things we say to build people up rather than tear them down.

Now there are all kinds of things that could be said about Cuss-Free Week. We could ask, "Isn't it sad legislature has to pass a law so our language can be cleaned up?" We could inquiry, "Why stop with one week? Why not add the other 51?"

Personally, I prefer to say, "Thank you McKay Hatch." As a minister, I like it when people respect each other and when they honor the Lord's Name. God likes it, too. As our text says, the Lord really isn't keen on it when people speak of Him with evil intent or when His adversaries use His Name.

Having seen the Savior and being recipients of His gracious sacrifice, our references to the Divinity ought to be respectful, reverential, and courteous.

Not because it's the law, but because it's right.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, because we are grateful for all You have done, allow our references to You to be filled with thanks and praise. This we ask in Jesus' Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"A Fighting Chance"

March 9, 2010

(Jesus said) "For even the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Mark 10:45

David Benke is a mathematics teacher in Littleton, Colorado.

More importantly, David Benke is a math teacher who practices what he preaches.

Let me explain. Benke was present when a 32-year-old man opened fire on some students at his school. He realized the man was using a bolt-action rifle. (That's a long gun which the shooter has to reload after every shot.) Benke used his mathematics to calculate he had time to disarm and tackle the shooter before the man could get his gun ready to fire.

Even though Benke thought he was safe, he still risked his life to save the children. It was a calculated risk he was willing to take so others might live.

I wonder if Jesus ever made any calculations before He came to earth to be our sacrifice and Savior. If so, His percentage calculations might have looked something like this:

Chance He would die of old age -- 0
Chance He would marry and have children -- 0
Chance He'd be appreciated by the folks He came to save -- 0
Chance He would be hated, despised, and beaten -- 100
Chance His life would end on the cross -- 100
Chance the world would appreciate Him after His resurrection -- ???

Although I'm not very good with numbers, those seem to be terrible percentages. They are not the kind of odds I would like to see if I were risking my life for others. I'd like to have a fighting chance.

A fighting chance -- that's something Jesus never had. After all, He came into this world to minister and give His life as a ransom for you and me and everybody.

And now, for those who believe in Him, the following percentages can be said:

Chance they will go to heaven when they die -- 100
Chance the Savior will protect them before they die -- 100
Chance the Savior will give them peace -- 100
Chance they will live forever because Jesus died and rose -- 100

Looking at those special numbers, I think we need to give thanks.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord Jesus, You came to serve and give Your life for sinners. Even so, I sometimes forget all that You suffered, all that You gave up. Please help me remember how You did all that was demanded so I might be saved. Then, when I have remembered, let me give thanks. In Your Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Taste Test"

March 10, 2010

Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him. Psalm 34:8

Toyota has had to do a recall of some of its vehicles. In the past, other auto manufacturers have had to do the same.

Some tire manufacturers have had to recall some of their unsafe products, and it's not unusual to hear that a few tons of ground beef have been recalled and are going back to the plant for disposal.

Every year, right around Thanksgiving time, you can see lists of toys which are unsafe and have been recalled, but which may still be on some store shelves.

Even though recalls seem to be a daily experience, it was still a shock to hear that Little Brownie Bakers -- the manufacturers of Girl Scout Cookies -- had recalled some of their Lemon Chalet Crèmes. Now, let me put your fears to rest: there was no bacteria found in the cookies; they were safe to eat. The recall was only for some states, and it was only because some of the Lemon Chalet Crèmes didn't smell or taste good. In truth, the recalled cookies only made the news because they are normally so absolutely reliable and consistent in quality.

As I was thinking about the cookie recall, I remembered the passage which serves as the text for today's Daily Devotion: "Taste and see that the Lord is good."

Tasting the Lord? That's an unusual idea, don't you think?

Even so, I wish more people would. All too often unbelievers draw their opinions about God from sampling the misbehavior of Christians, or they rely on what somebody told them, or they believe what they read somewhere. Sometimes they just love to dine at the devil's table of temptations.

The Psalmist says, "Taste and see the Lord is good." If people look at the Bible, if they read through the Gospels, if they really take the time to taste the Savior -- to see a healthy sampling of His love and His sacrifice -- they will indeed find the Triune God is good and gracious.

If they taste God and see the Savior, they truly will be blessed when the Holy Spirit gives them faith in a Savior who is our Redeemer and our Refuge.

Today, we pray for those who need to taste of God's goodness.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, it is a mystery to me why so many people turn up their noses and refuse to sample Your goodness and grace. If it be possible, I pray that You will send the Holy Spirit to lead these doubters, deniers, and skeptics to the cross and the open tomb of their loving Redeemer. In the Savior's Name I ask it. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Unsurprised"

March 11, 2010

(Jesus said) "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

The writer of the article referred to the Lord as "The Big Man Upstairs."

That's the way people talk when they're trying to be cute, or when they're trying to be politically correct, or when they really don't know much about religion, in general, or Christianity, in particular.

For the rest of this devotion, we are going to put the phrase "the Big Man Upstairs" to rest and refer to the Triune God.

The Fox article spoke of a study done by the University of Toronto.

That great school had reported that "believing in God can help block anxiety and minimize stress." The university had also discovered that there are "distinct brain differences" between believers and nonbelievers. That study came out a year ago.

Now there is a new study which has been released by Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. That study says patients who have been diagnosed with clinical depression respond better to medical treatment if they believe "in a concerned God." The study says the important word in these folks needs is a "caring" God. Folks who had a strong belief in a personal God -- in a God who was involved with them and their future -- were more likely to experience improvement.

Now, if I may summarize, this is what I think these learned people are saying:

• If you have a Savior who says to cast all your cares upon Him, you can be sure He will help you.
• If you have a Savior who is by your side, your anxiety is minimized and your stress decreases.
• If you have a God who has numbered the hairs on your head, if you have a God who cares about what happens to you as an individual, if you have a God who has sent His Son to save you from sin, death, and devil -- you can be sure He will lift you up.

The text for today's devotion is right. We who believe in Jesus have been given a peace which the world cannot give. We who believe in Jesus are gladdened for a Redeemer who forgives, comforts, defends, and strengthens. We who believe in Jesus no longer need to be troubled or afraid.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, because of You my sins are forgiven; my punishment is erased, and I am saved. Now may I reflect the peace You give the troubled hearts and lives of others. Let them see Your blood-bought peace, which can comfort the most troubled and frightened of souls. In the Savior's Name I pray it. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"The Sin Of Pride"

March 12, 2010

... And those who walk in pride He is able to humble. Daniel 4:37b

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

The salvation story of Jesus Christ reaches around the world. So that the readers of our Daily Devotion may see the power of the Savior on a global scale, we have asked the volunteers of our International Ministry Centers to write our Friday devotions. We pray that the Spirit may touch your day through their words.

In Christ, I remain, His servant and yours,
Kenneth R. Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran Hour

The sin of pride is a particularly nasty one. Some examples we can all relate to are when we look down on somebody else less fortunate than us, when we're preoccupied with our fabulous achievements or material acquisitions, or when we think somehow we're just plain better than other folk.

In addition to duping us into thinking we're better than other people, pride can also drive a deadly wedge between God and us. How? Though we may acknowledge that God, through the saving work of Christ Jesus, is willing to forgive all our sins, pride can deceive us into thinking that somehow that doesn't really mean our sins.

As a consequence, some people mistakenly feel that though God offers complete liberation from every sin through Christ's work on the cross, this offer must somehow, some way, be added to by them completing the deal -- i.e. doing something on their own that puts the finishing touch on God's work for their salvation.

That is nothing more than an attempt to earn salvation through the things we do.

Perhaps Paul's no-nonsense approach puts it best: "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

Unfortunately, there are many who are too proud to accept that their sins, though grievous, are as damnable -- and forgivable -- as the next person's. No more, no less. Therefore, being cleansed of those sins requires one thing: faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of the world.

THE PRAYER: God, please help us accept the free gift of forgiveness and eternal life that You have extended to all people through the life, death, and resurrection of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Biography of Author: Today's devotion is based on a message submitted by Meron Tekle Berhan from Ethiopia. Working as an adult English language instructor, she assists the work of Lutheran Hour Ministries by helping translate Amharic into English. Opened in 1996 in the capital of Addis Ababa, LHM-Ethiopia or Berhan Media Ministry (BMM) as it is known locally, spreads the Gospel through mass evangelism rallies and by Bible Correspondence Courses (BCC) in this country of 85 million people.

To learn more about our International Ministries, click here or visit www.lhmint.org.

Pastor Klaus returns
again tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"First Things First"

March 13, 2010

(Jesus said) "But seek the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33

Do you feel tired today? I do.

From what I've been told, we have a right to be tired. Consider this: according to what scientists say, in the last 24 hours our hearts have beaten 103,689 times. But there's more. Our blood has traveled 168 million miles.

In the last 24 hours, we have breathed 23,040 times, inhaled 438 cubic feet of air, eaten three and a half pounds of food, spoken 4,800 words, moved 750 muscles, and exercised 7 million brain cells.

No wonder we get tired.

Still, even though we've done all those things, we can't say that any of these things have accomplished all that much -- other than keep us alive.

What I've said above was designed to make you smile. Still, I wonder how it would be to finish not just a day, but an entire life, without anything to show for the passing days, weeks, months, years, and decades.

I think it would have to be mighty depressing.

That's why, God tells us, it's important for us to keep first things first. The King James Version of today's Scripture says, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God."

That's a good idea. If we keep God first in our lives, all the other things we do will fall into place. If we keep our loving Lord first, we will have accomplished the greatest work He has given to us.

If we keep the Savior first, then so many of our pains and problems, our sorrows and sadnesses will be put into their proper place, too.

This leads me to say, God grant we accomplish keeping Him first. If we do nothing else throughout our entire lives, God grant we accomplish this.

THE PRAYER: Dear Heavenly Father, create in me a new heart and fill it with a desire to keep You as the first and foremost Person there. Send Your Holy Spirit to remove any stumbling block and allow Him to pave the road so I may keep my focus on You. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Old 03-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Our Builder"

March 14, 2010

For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible. . . . Colossians 1:16a

Here's a true story from years ago.

No matter how much the man cranked, no matter how far he advanced the spark or made adjustments, the stalled Model-T Ford just wouldn't start.

When the man reached his frustration point, a chauffeured limousine pulled up behind him. A thin man stepped out and offered his assistance. After tinkering for a few moments the stranger said, "Now try it!" The engine turned over. The well-dressed mechanic identified himself as Henry Ford. "I designed these cars," he said, "so I know what to do when something goes wrong."

When I go to the bookstore, I am amazed at the number of books on the racks telling us how to get our lives running again.

There are self-help books for married couples, singles, babies, teens, and the elderly. There are books that give direction on computers, income tax, and painting.

Many of them carry the label "best-seller" on their covers. Maybe these books work. Maybe they don't.

But I do know one that does. That is the Book, which is the best of best-sellers. It is always reliable when your life has stalled. That's why, today, I encourage you to listen to God, who is our Designer, our Redeemer, and our Preserver.

He, more than anyone else, can say what is wrong and how it can be made right.
Even more, He is the One who, all on His own, can make it right and keep it right. This He has done through the life, death, resurrection, and intercession of Jesus.

THE PRAYER: Dear Heavenly Father, from before my birth till now You have been with me, loving me, watching over me. Forgive my ingratitude. At the same time enable me to always look to you for direction and help. In the Name of Jesus who is my best help. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries