Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile LENTEN Devotions 2010

"A Journey To Begin"

February 17, 2010

Matthew 16:21 - From that time on Jesus began to explain to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the Law, and that He must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

Life was good for the disciples. Their teacher was popular. Huge crowds had come to hear Him speak. Many had been touched by His miracles. As Jesus and His disciples gathered together at Caesarea Philippi, Peter, on their behalf, made a great confession: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Matthew 16:16b) for which he had been commended. Thinking that Jesus' Kingdom was of this world, each of them aspired to be the one seated at His right hand or His left. Life was good.

But Jesus knew differently. He told them so. There was a journey to be made. It would start in six days. It would begin on a high mountain not far from Nazareth, the place where He had grown up. It would end on a little hill near Jerusalem called Mount Calvary. It would make all the difference in the world!

It was difficult for the disciples to imagine life much better than it was. Jesus knew that life would be so much better when His journey was complete, when the weight of their sins was finally lifted from their lives, when the evil one would lie crushed at His feet, when the sting of death was torn away. That could only happen when they journeyed to Jerusalem, when He died and rose again.

We will join Jesus and His disciples on this journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary. To the disciples, life will seem to have gone mad. It may also seem that way to us. It will certainly be difficult for Jesus.

But in the end, for the disciples, and for us, life will be good-so very good. It is good because of our Lord's journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary. You are invited to join us.

THE PRAYER: Bless our Lenten journey, Lord, as we move forward with You from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary. Amen.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Amen!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #3  
One Day at a Time...

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/165

Height: 5'4

All praises due...
Beautifully Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"The Mountain Of Transfiguration"

February 18, 2010

Matthew 17:2a - "There He was transfigured before them. ..."

Our journey to Jerusalem begins with a "Transfiguration." It is an important beginning for a most significant journey. Jesus has with Him his inner circle of disciples: Peter, James and John. St. Luke in his ninth chapter describes the scene. "As He was praying, the appearance of His face changed, and His clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. Two men, Moses and Elijah appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about His departure, which He was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem" (Luke 9:29-31).

What a way to begin the journey. Jesus was beginning the journey in conversation with Moses and Elijah, both of whom knew a great deal about significant journeys. Moses had led the Children of Israel out of bondage to the edge of the Promised Land. He was followed by Joshua who brought them into their new home. Elijah, a leader of the prophets, was followed by Elisha, whose name is a form of Joshua. Now Jesus, whose Hebrew name is Joshua, would lead the way for all people into the eternal Promised Land. He would complete the work of Moses and Elijah. This most difficult of journeys began in intimate conversation with those whose journeys were so significant for the people of God.

As we begin our Lenten journey, we, too, will do well to spend a little time in the company of Moses and Elijah. Reread the first part of the Book of Exodus and the early chapters of 1 Kings. Be refreshed in the courage of these men and in their faithfulness to our great God. Understand how significant this would be to Jesus. Understand how significant this conversation is for us as we begin our journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary.

THE PRAYER: As Jesus was blessed by the conversation with Moses and Elijah, so bless our conversation with those who have journeyed before us. Amen.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"The Tents"

February 19, 2010

TEXT: Mark 9:5-6 - Peter said to Jesus, "Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters-one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." (He did not know what to say, they were so frightened.)

What an exciting, overwhelming time! For Peter, James and John, the journey could have ended right here. They had seen everything they needed to see. They had seen the great heroes of the faith. They were in the presence of Jesus who was shining in His glory as the mighty Son of God! Journey done! They had come to the top of the mountain. There was no need for them to journey on.

Not knowing what else to say, Peter suggests they build three shelters. He might have meant three monuments, one for each of them. Or he might have meant three tents like the "Tent of Meeting" (Exodus 27:21a) that traveled with the children of Israel as God led them through the wilderness, and from which God regularly communicated with His people. Or he might have meant three "booths," like those the Israelites lived in during the Feast of Tabernacles in Leviticus 23.

What we do know is that Jesus did not have this in mind. It would take a little while for the disciples to understand this Transfiguration was not about them and not primarily for them. It was for Jesus. It was for Jesus as He was about to begin the journey from this Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary. It was for Jesus who would make the journey for you and for me.

It was good for them to be there. We sing a great Transfiguration hymn (LSB #414, " 'Tis Good Lord to Be Here") that carries the same sentiment. Our preference would be to stay on the mountaintop. But this mountaintop experience is not the end of their journey-or ours. It is only the beginning. Jesus' journey will take Him to Mount Calvary. Our journey in Jesus will take us all the way into eternity!

THE PRAYER: Our Lenten journey is just beginning, Lord. Sustain us in this journey. Blessings to all as we reflect on Jesus' journey-and our own. Amen.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"The Voice"

February 20, 2010

TEXT: Luke 9:35 - A voice came from the cloud, saying: "This is My Son, whom I have chosen; listen to Him."

This must be some big journey Jesus is about to go on. All the "big guns" are called upon to give encouragement-first Moses, then Elijah, then the Heavenly Father, the Maker of heaven and earth!

He is the one who created the whole universe-all the planets, the dry land, the bodies of water, the birds of the air, the land animals, the creatures of the deep, all vegetation-everything! This is the one who formed man of the dust of the earth, and breathed into him the breath of life. This is the one who created mankind in His own spiritual image. This is the one who is sinless. This is the one who "saw all that He had made, and it was very good" (Genesis 1:31a).

But it did not remain "good." The man and woman sinned. That sin ruined everything. Now there were "thorns and thistles" (Genesis 3:18a) in every part of their lives and the lives of each of us their descendants. Every day it touches our lives; it shatters our relationships; it twists our dreams and brings death to all of us. Unless something was done about this, it would result in a very difficult life on earth and an eternal separation from our Creator.

On the Mount of Transfiguration God the Father sets the rescue mission in motion. He has chosen the Rescuer. It is His own Son. It will be a difficult journey. But go He must. And He will go with the Father's words ringing in His ears: "This is my Son-My chosen One. I love Him. Listen to Him!"

It undoubtedly encouraged Jesus very much! It encourages us too! We are comforted to know Jesus has His Father's full approval. We are urged to listen to Him. Jesus will share much with us before the journey's end.

THE PRAYER: With the Father's words ringing in our ears, bless us as we journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary. Amen.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Don't Tell"

February 21, 2010

TEXT: Mark 9:9-10 - As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus gave them orders not to tell anyone what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead. They kept the matter to themselves, discussing what "rising from the dead" meant.

What a secret Peter, James, and John had! Luke records "they kept this to themselves, and told no one at that time what they had seen" (Luke 9:36b). Jesus had several good reasons for urging them to keep what they had experienced to themselves. One of those reasons was that what they had experienced was not primarily for them. It was primarily for Jesus. It was to encourage Him for the journey He alone must make.

Another reason they should not tell anyone about what they had seen is that they did not yet understand the full extent of the journey on which they would be accompanying Jesus. They were on the right track as they discussed what "rising from the dead" meant. But they failed to grasp its meaning because they refused to believe Jesus was going up to Jerusalem to die.

Even so, the clues were staring them in the face: They could have talked about the relationship between Moses' journey leading the Children of Israel from bondage and Jesus' journey to deliver all people from sin. They could have talked about the relationship between Jesus and Elijah, and the confronting of false gods. They could have talked about what the roar from the mouth of the Father must have meant for Jesus. They could have talked about any number of things-things that would have helped them understand what "rising from the dead" means.

The disciples would need to see the end of Jesus' journey before they could understand the full story and share what they had experienced on the Mount of Transfiguration. Then they could tell about Jesus being perfectly faithful to the Father. Then they could tell about the deliverance from the captivity of sin. Then they could tell about the love of Christ that overcomes every other god. Then they could see how all would be restored and would be very good!

THE PRAYER: We are grateful, Lord, that we are free to tell what we have seen and heard. Amen.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"The Elijah Question"

February 22, 2010

TEXT: Matthew 17:10 - The disciples asked Him, "Why then do the teachers of the Law say that Elijah must come first?"

The journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary would raise many questions for Jesus. Some of them would come from the disciples. One question was asked before they arrived at the bottom of the Mount of Transfiguration. These three disciples were impressed by what they had seen in the Transfiguration. They understood this was the Messiah, the Promised One.

But what about the teaching that before the Messiah would come, Elijah would need to return? That teaching came from Malachi 4:5-6, "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse." They had seen Elijah on the mountain of Transfiguration, but when would he come to turn the father's hearts to their children and the children's hearts to their fathers?

Jesus went on to point out Elijah had come in the person of John the Baptist. There were many parallels between Elijah and John the Baptist. Both served during the time of a weak ruler who had a strong, determined, and unbelieving wife. What King Ahab's wife Jezebel had threatened against Elijah (1 Kings 19:1-2) would be carried out by Herod's wife Herodias (Matthew 14:1-11). Elijah, the one who would prepare the way for the Messiah, had already come.

But Jesus' main point is that while Elijah and John the Baptist had suffered much at the hands of wicked people, they did so in preparing the way for the Messiah. The Messiah would also suffer much at the hands of wicked people. He would suffer much to prepare our final journey into the Promised Land.

As we tell others the story of Jesus' journey to Mount Calvary we may also suffer much as we prepare the way for the Messiah to enter into the hearts and lives of His people.

THE PRAYER: We are grateful for the ministries of all those who have and are preparing the way for the Messiah. Bless what we do to prepare the way. Amen.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"The Disciples' Limitations"

February 23, 2010

TEXT: Mark 9:14 - When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the Law arguing with them.

There was no time for the other disciples to ask, "Where were you, and what were you doing?" They had their hands full. The teachers of the Law were giving them a very bad time. When Jesus asked what the fuss was all about, it turned out that a man had brought his son, possessed with a devil, to be healed. They couldn't do it. It gave all sorts of material to the teachers of the Law. They were giving the disciples grief.

Jesus' conversation with the father concludes with Jesus saying all things are possible to those who believe. The man responds with a prayer that has meant so much to so many through the centuries: "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief" (Mark 9:24b). Jesus responds by casting out the demon.

Later, the disciples ask why they had been unable to cast out the demon. Jesus responded that this kind of demon could only be cast out with prayer. Apparently, the disciples had begun to take for granted their ability to heal and cast out demons. They forgot what we all too often forget as well.

In our earnest desire to help others in their needs, we must not forget to connect to God's power through humble faith and prayer. Prayer is one of the ways that we recognize our belief and our unbelief.

THE PRAYER: Lord, I do believe. Help me overcome my unbelief. Amen.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Predictions"

February 24, 2010

TEXT: Mark 9:30-31a - They left that place and passed through Galilee. Jesus did not want anyone to know where they were, because He was teaching His disciples.

The journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary would take them through the region of Galilee. Galilee included Nazareth, the place where He was raised, and Cana, the place where He worked His first miracle. It was very familiar to Him and His disciples. It was now His classroom.

The disciples did not so much need to see miracles; they understood what He was capable of doing. They did not so much need to hear His presentation to the large groups by which He mostly spoke in parables. What they needed now was to understand what lay before Jesus as they proceeded on to Mount Calvary. They needed to know how that would affect them. They needed leadership training for when He would no longer be with them. So He told them that He would be betrayed, He would be killed, and after three days He would rise again. What a wonderful, rich, and meaningful opportunity this was for them!

But they missed it. St. Mark reports, " ... they did not understand what He meant ..." (Mark 9:32a). We understand about that, don't we? We, too, have had learning experiences that would have prepared us beautifully for the future. But because of our preconceptions, our distractions, our preoccupations-we missed the moment. We blocked out the teaching.

St. Mark goes on to say that not only didn't they understand, but they " ... were afraid to ask Him about it" (Mark 9:32b).

THE PRAYER: Oh, Jesus, let us in this journey not miss Your teaching moments. Amen.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"At Capernaum"

February 25, 2010

TEXT: Mark 9:33 - They came to Capernaum. When He was in the house, He asked them, "What were you arguing about on the road?"

The journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary took them to Capernaum-the hometown for many of the disciples. The house they were in may well have been the house of Peter. In many ways, it was the home base for Jesus and His leadership team.

His leadership team had hardly been acting like the kind of leaders Jesus was looking for, and they knew it. They didn't tell Him what they were arguing about. It was not the first time, nor would it be the last time they would argue about which one among them was the most important, who was the greatest.

Often, along the journey the disciples would have to learn the lesson of servant leadership. Jesus says it this way: "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all" (Mark 9:35b).

No one is a greater example of this than Jesus Himself. He could easily have exerted His leadership from a power position. He was indeed the King of kings and the Lord of lords. Yet, He willingly became the servant of all. He willingly would and does serve us all.

He expected no less from His disciples. He expects no less from us. It is a lesson to be learned again and again as we journey to Mount Calvary.

THE PRAYER: Dear Jesus, we are grateful for Your servant leadership to us all. Bless our service to all. Amen.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Cost Of Discipleship"

February 26, 2010

TEXT: Luke 9:57 - As they were walking along the road, a man said to Jesus, "I will follow You wherever you go."

As Jesus and His disciples continued the journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary, they encountered a number of individuals who wanted to join them. While Jesus loved them all, He wanted them to understand that following Him would call for full commitment. Jesus' devotion to His Father was unconditional and complete. "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head" (Luke 9:58b).

Another who was wealthy said he would follow Jesus, but he went away sorrowfully when Jesus told him to give away his wealth. The request to leave his prosperity and follow Jesus was simply too much for him to sacrifice.

Another wishes to bury his father, and Jesus urges the dead to bury their dead, but he should proclaim the Kingdom of God.

Another wishes to first say goodbye to his family, and Jesus responds that no one who looks back is fit for service in the Kingdom of God.

The call to discipleship, the willingness to serve in the Kingdom of God, was a summons to complete commitment in Jesus' day. It is no less a summons to total commitment in our day. We give thanks to God for all those who made the commitment in His day and in ours. He does love those who cannot make that commitment. Yet, He blesses so very, very many through those who do.

THE PRAYER: We are grateful for those who with a willing spirit have counted the cost of discipleship-and followed their Lord. Amen.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"The Seventy-two"

February 27, 2010

TEXT: Luke 10:1 - After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of Him to every town and place where He was about to go.

The journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary would take Jesus and the disciples many places. In those places He would heal; He would teach about the Kingdom of God; He would instruct about living faithful to God. To prepare the way, He had earlier sent out the disciples two by two, according to Matthew 10. Now He would send ahead of Him seventy-two. These seventy-two had counted the cost. They were willing.

Jesus carefully instructed them on how they should behave, and what they might expect. Some would receive them joyfully; some would reject them. He reminded them that when they were rejected, it was not they who were being rejected, but God Himself.

The results of their ministry were amazing to them. They did indeed prepare the way for Jesus. Even the evil spirits were subject to them. Concerning this, Jesus was "full of joy" (Luke 10:21a). He reminded them that what they saw and heard, many of the prophets had not seen and heard.

Jesus is still sending His "seventy-two." They are still doing amazing things. People are healed. Many are assured of forgiveness. A multitude comes to know God's love. Our Lord's heart is still filled with joy.

THE PRAYER: We praise You for all those who have joined the "seventy-two" and are preparing the way for You. Amen.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Care For Children"

February 28, 2010

TEXT: Matthew 18:5-6 - (Jesus said) "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in My Name welcomes Me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

Among those whom Jesus and the disciples encountered on their journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary were children. He consistently demonstrated a great tenderness and love for them. He sometimes used them as examples of tender faith and trust. Through the ages, artists have often depicted Jesus as engaging with children with the most tender of eyes. He is often displayed as listening to them.

Jesus has the highest praise for those who help children see He loves them. There are so many who do this so well. Among them are parents, grandparents, siblings, friends, baptismal Godparents, teachers, pastors, mentors, and so many more. For all these people, God be praised!

While Jesus has high praise and affirmation for those who share His love for them, He has the harshest criticism for those who cause a child to sin. Jesus has no patience for those who thwart children from knowing Him. Children are simply too precious to Him-all children!

As we journey to Calvary this Lent, may every effort to share God's love with children be blessed. May every accidental or intentional word or act that would cause a little child to sin be blocked.

THE PRAYER: As You, O Jesus, loved children, so may our every effort to love children be blessed. Amen.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

"Prayer"

March 01, 2010

TEXT: Luke 11:1a - One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When He finished, one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray. ..."

The journey from the Mount of Transfiguration to Mount Calvary had many stopping-off places where it is recorded Jesus prayed. Jesus communicated with His Heavenly Father. Jesus shared His heart. Jesus received the heart of the Father. The disciples did not miss that exchange. They also wanted, they also needed, this communication. They asked Him to teach them how to pray.

Jesus taught His disciples what we know as "The Lord's Prayer." Luke's account has an introduction and five parts. Matthew's account (6:9-13) has two additional parts. There are many appropriate times, places, and ways to pray this marvelous prayer.

One way to pray the Lord's Prayer during this journey to Mount Calvary is to pray one of the seven parts each day of the week. One suggested outline is this:

· Sunday-that we keep our great God's Name holy
· Monday-that we give thanks for the Kingdom, and pray for its coming
· Tuesday-that we faithfully do God's will as it is done in heaven
· Wednesday-that we recognize and give thanks for life's bounty
· Thursday-that we forgive as we are forgiven
· Friday-that we be tempted to no sin, great or small
· Saturday-that nothing separate us from God

A prayer for our journey to Mount Calvary.

THE PRAYER: Lord, teach us to pray. Amen.