Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Default need recipes for teenage boy who hates veggies

My son is 310 and 19 years old. We are starting to count points, and I need some ideas for recipes that do not contain veggies. Any suggestions?
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Boy, that is tough. Something you can try is making the ww soup but then puree it all once it is cooked. I find this really good & creamy and no veggie chunks. Also you can pureee veggies then add to pasta sauce & you can't tell they are in there. Also try making sweet potatoe "fries" in the oven.

Good luck with this!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #3  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Jessica Seinfeld has a book and website called deceptively delicious which is about hiding veggies for kids. There is a lot of debate on whether or not this is beneficial, but if it is the only way to get down the vegs, I say go for it! I also googled hiding vegetables in food and got tons of articles with tips and recipes.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #4  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I know how you feel, I have a teenager who is the same way. My youngest will chow down on some veggies, but not my oldest. I used to be good at disguising them in spaghetti & stuff like that, but she won't eat that anymore.
It is hard, but just as Hello Nurse said...there is a book all about it.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Thanks! You guys are great!!
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #6  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I have a husband and one son like this. I grate carrot and zucchini into everything! Chicken cacciatore, bolognese sauce to be made into spaghetti or lasagne, any saucy type of thing.

I think you need to find ways to incorporate veges without him noticing rather than avoid them altogether.

Good luck!
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #7  
Not baby weight anymore

S/C/G: 188/188/140

Height: 5'3"

I think your son needs to learn to want veggies. He is an adult now, so he will be responsible for his own meals more and more. If he doesn't find ways to incorporate vegetables into his diet on his own terms, then anything you do to 'sneak' them in at this point will only be temporary. Avoiding them altogether means that any points he eats are going to contain too much of one thing and a serious deficiency of another.

For health, not just weight loss, veggies are not an option, but a necessity. He cannot lose weight (long term), nor gain health if vegetables aren't a regular part of his diet. At his age, it HAS to be his choice, and this can be more pleasant for him if he is involved in choosing the types of vegetables he will try and the methods of preparing them. In order to make the change to become healthier, he needs to learn more about nutrition, and make the decision to try different vegetable dishes until he finds those he likes.

I know that's not easy, but I hope it all works out for him, and for you!
PeggyMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyMomof2 View Post
I think your son needs to learn to want veggies. He is an adult now, so he will be responsible for his own meals more and more. If he doesn't find ways to incorporate vegetables into his diet on his own terms, then anything you do to 'sneak' them in at this point will only be temporary. Avoiding them altogether means that any points he eats are going to contain too much of one thing and a serious deficiency of another.

For health, not just weight loss, veggies are not an option, but a necessity. He cannot lose weight (long term), nor gain health if vegetables aren't a regular part of his diet. At his age, it HAS to be his choice, and this can be more pleasant for him if he is involved in choosing the types of vegetables he will try and the methods of preparing them. In order to make the change to become healthier, he needs to learn more about nutrition, and make the decision to try different vegetable dishes until he finds those he likes.

I know that's not easy, but I hope it all works out for him, and for you!
I have to agree with Peggy. What happens when he is out on his own? Its essential that he forces himself to tolerate at least a few different veggies, even if he has to learn how to hide them in other foods.

Good luck to you and him
valley is offline   Reply With Quote