Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #1  

Default Have you been injured while working out?

If so, what kind of injury was it, what did you do it, and how quickly did it heal? Also, do you think that you could have prevented it?
Veronica133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #2  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I've been exercising for about 4-5 years now. I follow workout DVD's. I've done P90x, and STS. I consider myself somewhere betweens intermediate and advanced, and on a good week exercise 5-6 times for about 45-60 min.

The worst I've done is pulled a back muscle trying to lift a 75lbs barbell for a deadlift. Uh, duh, what was I thinking??? Yes, that could have been prevented. Counting would have helped! I stetched immediately, iced etc. I did not try to lift anything heavy for about a week, and I was fine. I'm sure because I exercise I healed faster. My physical theapist friend told me the muscle I pulled is a very popluar muscle to pull, LOL. and that happens frequently. However, since then I find its easier to pull this same muscle again and again if I don't pay attention. If I find that I have 'done it again' stretching is my best bet; if I don't stretch my muscle often after I have pulled it it becomes stiff and takes longer to heal.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yes, I thought I sprained my ankle on a bar jump during a police fitness exam. Turns out I had actually broken it, but didn't find out until a year later.

I still can't run more than 2 miles without severe ankle pain. This was about 4 years ago. Bottom line - get it checked out or else you could screw it up for life like I did!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yup, had been having a lot of foot pain while working out- one day my foot just gave out on me- went to the doctor turns out I had tendonitis- I was told lay off the foot for a while- get new/better shoes, and be careful.

I didn't work out for a long time- I was literally limping for the longest time! I got better shoes and now I have no more limp or anything. I'm very careful with my workouts now and actually have been able to run and bike without pain. I know they say tendonitis never goes away- but I've definitely done all I can do to prevent flare-ups
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hahaha, yes. I am sort of notorious for random exercise injuries.

Keep in mind that I do a LOT of activity, so my injury exposure level is considerably high. I have strained my rotator cuff twice (lifting too much, too fast = preventable), sprained 3 ankles and two wrists (usually not preventable, except if I were less genetically clumsy...I tend to trip and fall badly), and most recently (and most shockingly), got thrown backward off an elliptical trainer into a doorframe, deeply bruising my shoulderblade bone and filling one of my shoulder/back muscles with scar tissue and knots/trigger points (not preventable...was a completely unanticipated mechanical failure of my equipment). That last one still isn't healed, after considerable treatment, but I'm hopeful that it'll start getting better soon, as we're going on 6 months.

I also had knee surgery, which was not injury related.

My best advice is that healing goes way faster if you follow doctor's advice, physical therapy, and etc.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #6  

Mandalin, why did you have knee surgery?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #7  

Two quick questions: Do you think that one could easily be injured during a workout program, such as The Firm or Tae Bo?

And how old are you guys? I'm only 22, but I still worry about being injured during exercise.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/135

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I fell off my bike and broke my wrist. And yes, even this was preventable with proper maintainance of the equipment. The fall was caused by an old tire blowing out quickly and wrapping around the axle. I knew that the tire had a problem and thought the worst that could happen was that I would get another flat. Apparently, it can happen much quicker than one might anticipate.
Carly Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #9  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

When I first started running, I did the typical beginner thing and ramped up mileage way too quickly at first, and ended up with a mild case of hip bursitis. After a few weeks of anti-inflammatory meds and physical therapy, it began to resolve. I learned a lot from PT about stretching and strengthening, got good (properly fitting) running shoes and ramped up more slowly and was fine.

The only other time I felt "injured" was the knee pain I experienced from running way too many miles during marathon training. Overuse. I finished the marathon, but boy did my knee hurt from mile 21-26. I didn't seek medical treatment, just laid off for a while and took it easier when I started up again.

Other than that, I've just had the usual/normal soreness and stiffness just about everywhere at one time or another when I've trained hard. I just pay attention and take it easier (or days off) if I have to. I'm a firm believer in variety and cross training; too much of anything usually isn't good. Muscles get out of balance if you are working certain muscles and excluding others. Stretching is key, also ramping up any new activity slowly until your body becomes accustomed to the new stresses. That all helps prevent overuse injury.

It doesn't help prevent injuries due to simple accidents -- falls, stepping in a hole, a wrong twist ... something like that. Sometimes those things just happen.

I'm 50 - and was over 40 when I started running.

Last edited by MBN; 12-16-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added my age
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #10  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica133 View Post
And how old are you guys? I'm only 22, but I still worry about being injured during exercise.
I'm 40!

I don't like Tae Bo because Billy moves so quickly. To me quick movements mean possible injury. And then there's the endless counting...

Good workout instructors usually give you 'form pointers' during their instruction. How to do the movement, how to stand, how to hold your body, what to focus on, and sometimes how NOT to do the exercises. I feel that following the form pointers from the pros are more likely to help you avoid injury.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
I busted my ankle at 21 and it is still buggered at 25.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm 26, it happened when I was 25... I'm sure weighing around 235 at the time didn't help much!

Bottom line- if it hurts you should stop- don't ignore it! Pain=bad. Definitely invest in good shoes if you are running, inserts help also- I get my shoes only from Roadrunner sports now. Best thing I ever did was to walk into that store and get properly fitted shoes for my feet. If there is one near you I would check it out- it's a bit pricey (average $130-150 for a good pair of shoes + insoles) BUT not having to see a doctor for foot pain is well worth the cost!

Last edited by beerab; 12-16-2009 at 03:50 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm in my mid-20's also.

The knee surgery was due to a congenital defect (a ligament that ran where it shouldn't have) that I had in both knees.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Two quick questions: Do you think that one could easily be injured during a workout program, such as The Firm or Tae Bo?
For me, I seem more likely to get hurt (not injured really, just little clumsy accidents) on big pieces of equipment, especially that darn treadmill. Or, at a fitness class in a dance studio with really slippery floors. That's not to say I haven't fallen off the Firm Fanny Lifter once or twice but I have never gotten hurt during Tae Bo!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

I sprained my ankle badly running and playing tennis (yes, two different times about a month apart) when I was 15. I'm 21 now and still have some days where my ankles just bother me.

Since then I've stuck to walking/running and stuff like pilates. lol
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote