Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #1  

Default Green tea?

Anyone out there a green tea drinker and think that it has impacted your weight loss efforts? My acupuncturist has been telling me to drink decaf green tea, and it supposedly helps with weight loss, especially with reducing belly fat. And overall it's healthy because it gives a natural energy boost and has anti-oxidants and all that jazz. I had a cup last night and another one this morning, and actually kind of like the taste.

Any of my sister chickies out there want to weigh in on this one?
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #2  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I drink it daily now =) I try to get 2-3 cups a day.

I've read it does significantly boost metabolism and burn fat. + Antioxidants. I like the taste so I don't mind incorporating it into my daily routine
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgegirl View Post
My acupuncturist has been telling me to drink decaf green tea, and it supposedly helps with weight loss, especially with reducing belly fat.
My understanding is that it's the caffeine in green tea that caused the (very slight) increase in metabolic rate and that nothing on earth would reduce just belly fat.

I drink about 8 cups a day, it's excellent stuff but none of by bellies are flat.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There was a study but I do believe it was with caffeinated green tea that showed those that drank a cup of green every day for a year lost up to 8 lbs more than those that didn't (within that year). Green tea does help satiate you and if you are hungry, drinking a bit of green tea may hold off your hunger. Caffeine also slightly elevates your metabolism.

Otherwise, it is great due to the antioxidants although white tea has more antioxidants than green.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 27.11

Height: 5.6

hiya i found green tea was great and dose work but i cant drink it on its own have to flavor it or ot gives me migrain . peach squash is very nice
Thinner4Winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #6  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

It helps a bit with water retention, too! I like green teas infused with other fruit flavors. For instance, right now I'm enjoying a cup of Green Tea infused with Mango! Delicious
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I drink a quart of green tea a day, and have for more than 10 years just because I like the taste. But can't really think that it does anything for weight loss as except for the past 6 months I was over 250 while drinking that much tea. But who knows, maybe its been helping on my way down.

I'm sure that one way it helps is because I drink that much tea I don't drink any sweetened drinks.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

On a side note, I just read in Women's Health magazine that black liquerice supplements (not the candy) can help aid in weight loss! It might be worth a try.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #9  
To war!

S/C/G: 194/ticker/135?

Height: 5' 3"

I drink green tea almost daily. I can't say if it's helping with my weight loss. Hard to tell, but I know it entertains my stomach for a while so I don't notice hunger as much.
Tante Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 380/175/150

Height: 5' 4"

I think drinking any hot liquid will fill you up and make you eat less and therefore aid in weight loss. Green tea does have antioxidants, but so do other types of tea (including black tea). There's no evidence that it burns fat or belly fat in particular.

If you enjoy it though, it certainly is a good thing to drink compared to other things like diet sodas.
screamingfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tante Claire View Post
I drink green tea almost daily. I can't say if it's helping with my weight loss. Hard to tell, but I know it entertains my stomach for a while so I don't notice hunger as much.
same here!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

From wikipedia...

In a study performed at Birmingham (UK) University, it was shown that average fat oxidation rates were 17% higher after ingestion of green tea Extract than after ingestion of a placebo.[7] Similarly the contribution of fat oxidation to total energy expenditure was also significantly higher by a similar percentage following ingestion of green tea extract. This implies that ingestion of green tea extract can not only increase fat oxidation during moderately intensive exercise but also improve insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance in healthy young men.

A recent study looked at the effects of short term green tea consumption on a group of students between the ages of 19- 37. Participants were asked not to alter their diet and to drink 4 cups of green tea per day for 14 days. The results showed that short term consumption of commercial green tea reduces systolic and diastolic Blood Pressure, fasting total cholesterol, body fat and body weight. These results suggest a role for green tea in decreasing established potential cardiovascular risk factors. This study also suggests that reductions may be more pronounced in the overweight population where a significant proportion are obese and have a high risk of cardiovascular disease.[8]
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'7.25"

My degree has a specialization in Asian Studies and I study abroad in Japan. I couldn't live without green tea (or tea in general). Of course, I'm also a tea snob now and can't drink 99% of the junk in grocery stores (loose leaf, seriously). And if I see one more bottle of "healthy metabolism boosting!" tea with sugar, fake flavors, or sweeteners I may have to smash something buuuuuut there is no downside to tea. Unless you have a caffeine sensitivity or drink boiling water on mistake (green tea actually steeps best below the boiling point at around 180F). Tea (camellia sinensis, whether it be green, white, or black) boosts your metabolism, hot tea keeps your digestion running smoothly (if you believe Chinese medicine, anyway), bursting with antioxidants, and supposedly increases dopamine production (the brain chemical in charge of metabolism).

The hype about green tea extract can't really be compared to drinking green tea as the concentration of the extract is SO much stronger (and no, One A Day, you don't have enough in your Weight Smart vitamins, either. It's why the FCC slapped you down).

Short version: I love tea (as long as it hasn't been Americanized with "fruit" and sweeteners) and yes, I think it has a positive effect on my body. I drink around 4 cups of strong green tea daily, maybe one of black, or sometimes some herbal rooibos "tea". Oh, and in the summer I enjoy iced barley "tea".
dangerousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 284.6/283.2/165

Height: 5'9

I love green tea. I tend to lose water weight when I drink it regularly.
mtloser is offline   Reply With Quote