Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Default Carb friendly desserts???

My doctor has me on a low glycemic index diet because I'm prediabetic. I am wanting to come up with some carb friendly desserts for the holiday season.

I just made pumpkin pie, following my old recipe but substituting a xylitol/sucralose sweetner for the sugar and a whole wheat crust for the white crust. Is there any way to make desserts more carb friendly? I figure I can do the same with my cheesecake recipe too. I am going to look for whole grain grahamn crackers (or are they already whole grain?), add nuts to the crust and use the same sugar substitute.

I am getting pretty good at portion control. I made two pumpkin pies and sent one home with my college student, and the other one to work with my husband. I only had one piece of pie. I also subtracted those calories from my daily allotment. So, I figure if my family doesn't mind (and they don't--they loved the pie and even my whole wheat hater didn't notice the different crust) then I can have my pie and eat it too!

Would appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks in advance!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #2  
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

Some pretty decent Peanut Butter cookies...
Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup Peanut Butter (My PB reads at about 32 carbs per cup)

1 cup Splenda (Yup, the filler used in splenda has carbs, 24 per cup)

1 egg (essentially 0 carbs)

2 tsp. vanilla extract (0 carbs)

Beat egg and vanilla. Using mixer, blend in peanut butter and last, the splenda. Form into small balls and drop onto cookie sheet (with non-stick spray on it) or parchment paper lined cookie sheet (I like this way best). Flatten on with back of fork, rotate fork 90 degrees and press again, making cross hash marks. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. 4 carbs per cookie, makes about 15 cookies when I did it.

* I would call this a good one, sweet treat, not the same as a regular PB cookie, but a nice substitue, I call it a 3/5.
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Best low carb dessert recipes on the web:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/dessert_recipes.html

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 380/175/150

Height: 5' 4"

You can make a lot of the creamy/pudding/quiche desserts with no crust at all as well as using sugar substitutes. Things like cheesecake and pumpkin pie are fine without any crust at all. Just spray Pam on the dishes to make sure they don't stick. Using a glass baking dish or pie pan seems to work pretty well, too, because heat is conducted more slowly toward the bottom of the dish.
screamingfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 284.6/283.2/165

Height: 5'9

JerseyGyrl, Thanks for posting this link. I am in dessert heaven
mtloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfatgirl View Post
You can make a lot of the creamy/pudding/quiche desserts with no crust at all as well as using sugar substitutes. Things like cheesecake and pumpkin pie are fine without any crust at all. Just spray Pam on the dishes to make sure they don't stick. Using a glass baking dish or pie pan seems to work pretty well, too, because heat is conducted more slowly toward the bottom of the dish.

I did this with a pumpkin pie I made for my sons' b/day. Yummy! I just scooped enough out of the pie (before baking) to fill one custard cup. Thanks for the idea!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote