Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #31  
Off on a Journey!

S/C/G: 345/345/145

Height: 5'9"

Hi guys! I've been kind of lurking around in the shadows here (sheesh when I say it that way, it almost sounds creepy...) kind of trying to figure out how to jump in to the conversation. (I was a little bit concerned about just barging in, until I read how nice all of you were!) So I figured that the best way would be well....um....this short introductory paragraph!!

I actually really wanted to reply to something Boogieboardingmamma said. I have never really thought about the exercise like that! I suppose that is because I havne't hired a personal trainer to tell me these sort of things. What great helpful advice! I'll use it next time I go in to the gym!

Ok, I know I don't know you guys very well yet, (Actually we just met, as it were...) but I have to vent my feelings about my gym. I love it, it is a great place to go. it is very clean and nice and I can watch TV. There is even an all ladies area!! Why am I having such a motivation problem to actually go? I am always happy once I am there, why won't I just go? Does anyone else run into this problem? There is nothing wrong with the gym itself, and the excercise isn't bad, but I just won't go! Then I feel bad about it and I have rescue myself from....myself in the middle of the night when I should be sleeping I am telling myself "Stop beating yourself up!!". Arrrrrrgg...frusterating.

Wow, it feels so much better just getting it out there!! Thanks in advance for reading this relatively negative post!!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #32  
Each step gets me closer

S/C/G: 307/289/150

Height: 5'10

Good afternoon everyone!
Today is my Hubby's birthday. So Happy Birthday to him. I told him that I would not be baking him a cake this year. I don't have the money or time & I really don't want cake or the smell of cake in the house. He was fine with that. But then he comes home this morning (works overnights) with a box of Krispy Kreme donuts! Said they were for his birthday. Arg. I was tempted this morning to eat one as I fixed my bowl of nice healthy oatmeal. Their sweet glazey goodness was calling to me. But I walked over, flipped the box over & read the nutrional info. That was enough to turn off my craving & me & my oatmeal walked away with a smirk on my face.

Abbycat: Hello! You don't know me but hello anyway.
Sorry to hear about your husband having to leave out. I don't know how you military women do it. Very strong. Thank him for me & my family. (we should have a smiliey that waves a little american flag!)

Valerie: mmmm... chili sounds good, especially since its starting to get chilly Sodium is so hard to avoid. I had some veggie soup for lunch and its sodium was close to 600. Drinks lots of water to flush it away.
on your NSV. Those words must have sounded so good. Tomorrow you will be floating through class, atleast till the windmills!
I too enjoy a good fluffing every now & then. I didn't get enough as a child.

Sharon: Your vacation spot sounds awesome! Be sure to take advantage of some of the emminities (sp?). Thats great that you get to meet up with Ammi. Hope you have terrific weather!

Jill: Good work on another day of early exercise. I have a WATP dvd, its the 1 mile. I did it twice I think & got bored. I really don't like exercise dvds. The only ones I have found that I could stand were the Richard Simmons ones because he is funny to watch & the music is good. But it was a heck of a workout! Good for you for sticking with it!

Ammi: Glad you are feeling somewhat better, on the road to being 100%. It will feel so good to be back to normal I'm sure.
Those ulcers sound horrid. Last year I caught some kind of virus & got a whole bunch of ulcers all in my mouth and it was sooooo painful. I know you must be miserable.

Drama: This is an amazing network of some really wonderful women. Feel free to jump right in, I did.
I hear you on not wanting to go to the gym. I don't belong to a gym but I have to make myself exercise. Once I am doing it I'm happy and afterwards I am happy that I did it but making myself tie my shoes up & get going is hard. I think once you keep doing it over & over for awhile it will become habit & therefore less difficult. Just try to think of how good it makes you feel. Hang in there!

Well, have a lovely night!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #33  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

HEAVENS, DRAMAMAMA! I think MOST of us feel that way, or have felt that way! You certainly aren't alone! I was just talking about it earlier as a matter of fact. I HATE getting out of bed in the morning, but that's the best time for me to workout. It fits my schedule better and I have more energy. HOWEVER... I just hate the part where the alarm just KEEPS going off until I drag my sorry feet out from under the covers and put them on the floor. I detest that moment where I have t abandon my pillow, not to meet again - sniff - for a long, long time! BUT, once I go, I feel SO great! Some days I just don't make it, and then I feel like you do - mad at myself, disappointed and regretting the error of my ways.

Basically, every time I get started on some exercise I keep the goal in mind. I remind myself how good I will feel afterwards. The whole time I'm doing it I think about how I did when I started and compare it to how well I'm doing now. I know I can't get better, stronger, leaner or happier unless I DO workout. I love the way Heather put it: Commitment to the Process. I don't love GOing to workout, but I love the results, and I'm committed to the process.

If you don't want the the toilet to overflow, you flush it. It's just what you do.
If you don't want the burglers to break in, you lock the door when you leave the house. It's just what you do.
If you don't want your teeth to fall out, you brush them. It's just what you do.
And if you don't want to buy a bigger pair of jeans anytime soon, you workout. It's just what you do.

At least there's an actual PAY-OFF to working out, instead of just the avoidence of something negative. It can be fun, it can be socially rewarding, it gives you the chance to come here and brag on the exercise thread (YEAH!!!), it lifts depression, cleans out your pores, gives you a better tush (and everything else) and kicks up your metabolism by building muscles. In the long run, it is a gift you give yourself. It's something you do for YOU, not anyone else, because You deserve to be taken care of.

Edit: Oh yeah, and like ABBEY is about to tell you, mix it up. I have a kickboxing-cardio class I like to take, I go to Curves (and am considering a community gym next), I have a treadmill, go to the local school track to walk or a state park, and other folks do swimming, biking, anything you like. Variety is GREAT!

I'm glad you joined in!!!! WELCOME to the list! I'm looking forward to more of your posts - AND to watching you conquer your exercise demons and prevail. Personally, I just love the whole ticker thing, so if ya feel like making yourself one of those, I'll love watching it slide on down, too!

ANDIE: "Their sweet glazey goodness was calling to me. But I walked over, flipped the box over & read the nutrional info. That was enough to turn off my craving & me & my oatmeal walked away with a smirk on my face."

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

OK - tomorrow is my 4 week weigh-in and measure. DEFINATELY doing a stint on the treadmill tonight before early bedtime!

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 10-20-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #34  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Hey everybody!

Welcome dramamama to the board and yes just jump right in and say whatever you like. Everyone is welcome Myself, I'm a 'popper', I pop in and out when I can.

Re your plight with the gym and your conscience. I have had experience with this also. Here's what you do:
Decide how many days you would like to go, be it per week or just on average. (because your schedule can fluctuate or you may have other commitments). Tell yourself, and mean it.. that all you have to promise yourself is that you'll show up at the gym and commit to 10 minutes of exercise. If you don't feel like being there after 10 minutes, then you aren't mentally committing to it. Most times you will find that once you've exercised for 10 minutes, you'll stay for 10 more.

If you find that the gym just isn't working out for you, because of your other 'life' stuff, why don't you mix it up? Go to the gym 2 times a week. Go walking for 30 minutes another day. Do a home exercise video another day.

Many of us either do not like exercise at all, and just do it because it works, and it helps us feel better physically. You don't have to like it! Some days you might, and some days you might not. And that's really okay!!

I've found that the mental stuff can just really play on your mind soooooo much at times. Turn your brain off when you hear that stuff in your mind. I have heard that negative self thoughts really do have a long term effect on your success (with anything, not just WL). I'm sure the other people here would agree with that.

Hugs!
~ Angie
Old 10-20-2006, 07:35 PM   #35  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Wow – I started this hours ago and then had to go sleep for awhile. I have an hour to finish before Doctor Who starts.

Andie – I miss the rain in Georgia. I loved how it would be a clear day and then the sky would just open up and it would pour. I lived in the city of Atlanta and also in the Northern suburbs – Lawrenceville and Duluth. I also stayed with a friend in Marietta for awhile, but that is to the Northwest of the city. Can you believe I lived there for 7 years and never went to Stone Mountain? That is so cool that you walked away from the Kristy Kremes after looking at the nutrition info! The only way I have been able to stay away from them is to remind myself that they are no good unless they are hot - and to never go near the hot ones!

Lilion – You have to take a picture of your fabulous sounding costume!

Valerie – Congratulations on being able to do all the moved in your class! That is so fantastic. I totally know what you mean about that weird psychology that makes us think that eating more and not exercising will make us feel better. I desperately need to learn how to use reverse psychology on myself. Or is that reverse-reverse psychology? Oh, and that is so royally cool that your instructor complimented you like that! It probably seems like she is talking to you because you are one of the people really paying attention.

Sharon – Sorry you had such a rough time with your vacation plans, but it sounds like it is all going to work out in the end. That is so cool that you and Ammi are going to be able to meet up!

Michelle – That is fantastic that you got in 40 minutes of exercise. I haven’t done anything in a week since I have been so sick, so I won’t make my October goal either. That’s ok – something is always better than nothing!

Luan – Sounds like you are keeping busy. Prosthetics for a horror film – that must be a fun challenge.

Melissa – I can’t imagine not having internet access. You seem to be coping ok though. I am glad to hear the scale is moving again. Hopefully it will stay that way for awhile and you will be seeing the 200’s soon!

Katt – I love your 5 a day lists. It is so important to take the time to remember the good things in our lives. It sounds like you have a really busy weekend with everyone staying with you.

Angie – I’m sorry to hear that your hubby is leaving again. How long is he gone at a time? PMS just gets me too. I don’t know what it is about that time of month that can sends me into a frenzy. Glad to hear you are still doing well.

Zelma – That is wild that you need to add salt back in, but then again if you are eating entirely natural foods and very little processed then that makes some sense. I am highly sensitive to large amounts of salt. The worst thing is probably soup. That would probably be a good place to pick up some extra if you need it. You could always sip on a bit of clear soup as a snack or something.

Jill – Congratulations on getting up 4 days in a row! I am not a morning person and therefore cannot imagine morning exercise as my only source. I was getting up for awhile and once I was in the rhythm of it I liked it, but it is still much easier for me to make excuses about not doing it in the morning than in the afternoon.

Ammi – Your sickness sounds horrible, but at least they know what it is and have you on the right medication for it. Hopefully it will be over soon and you can stop taking it.

DramaMama – Welcome!!! The thing to do here is to jump right in. That’s the only way we will get to know you. When you feel comfortable names and pictures help too, but aren’t necessary. You post wasn’t overly negative – it is something I think most of us go through all the time! We know it is good for us, we enjoy it when we are doing it, but making that decision to go is always so hard. For me, when I first started I decided to do something every single day for at least 10 minutes in order to make exercise a part of my life. There were no tomorrows because I was doing it every day, but since it was only 10 minutes it didn’t feel like it would take up half my day. Now I go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week. I am lucky because my gym is at my building at work and I just head there when I am done with my day. I have a system to make sure I remember my workout clothes and when I get to the end of the day I don’t think about it – I just go. Does beating yourself up about it help – at all? Of course it doesn’t. It probably just makes you more nervous about the next time and getting beaten up again.

I am still not feeling great. I stayed home from work again today and spent a good bit of the day sleeping. I am really hoping to kick this thing today or tomorrow. I am so sick of being sick! I haven’t worked out in over a week now. I feel like a slug, but this cold has just totally sapped my energy.

I decided to join a second gym close to home. They have a Planet Fitness right near me that is only $29 down and $15 a month and is open 24 hours on weekdays and fairly late on weekends. This way if I have to work really late or if I want to go on the weekend, I can. If I feel well enough tomorrow I will go and check it out.

Tomorrow I have to buy new tires. These last ones went almost 60,000 miles but they really need to be changed before the winter comes. I was happy to discover a cool site about tires called tirerack.com that gives reviews of different tires and general prices. It helped me both get better tires than the factory install version and to save some money when I went shopping for the best price. Just thought I would pass it on in case it could help anyone.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #36  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

I know I should start a new thread... but I HAVE to go jump on the TM before Men in Trees. (Even now I'm giving myself a little pep talk to get started! I'll just be to mad at myself if I skip it TONIGHT, the night before W.I.)

The good the bad and the ugly: OK, I'm gonna blame all you WW gals with your flex points cuz it's easier than taking responsibility for my own screw-up! There I was, walking thru the grocery, hungry. Bad choice number one. I've been really craving a cinnamon suger fried cake, so I cruised past the bakery (more BAD) on the way to the veggies. They didn't have any - YEAH- GOOD! There I was, minding my own business, picking up peppers and onions when (here comes the UGLY) the popcorn ball display JUMPED in front of my cart! "A-HA," thinks me - "Flex-calories! I haven't had many cals today. I'll just slip one little popcorn ball in, and as long as I count the cals, what could it hurt???" After all, you guys get Flex Points, I thought it sounded like a great idea. I munched it down on the way home, counted it up... and today I'm going thru sugar hunting ****. I was actually eyeing some Reese's cups at the gas station! My carb intake for the day is up, and I still want to cruise the fridge. WHAT WAS I THINKING!??!? I was actually hoping it would make me sick, but that would have taken 2 of the demonic things.

On the up side, since my cals were still under 1300 for today, I could afford something else. Frozen Blueberries! Sadly, they were freezer burned. So I hit the cottage cheese and was still cruising. Next in the line of fire: the chili. (Here comes the Good) I scooped out my official serving - one scoop - and was just sure that wasn't enough. I really wanted a second scoop. But I reminded myself that LAST night I two scoops made me feel like a blimp. Having eaten my one scoop now, I'm quite satisfied and realize that one scoop was appropriate.

So, I've once again learned the old lesson that "carb control" means don't touch sugar. Period. I've learned that there's no such thing as Flex-Calories, for me anyway. And I've learned that a proper serving is just fine - I won't starve. At least I can cruise the kitchen all I want looking for chocolate. There isn't any there.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #37  
sandybar

S/C/G: 350/289/150

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Ladies,
Just a note to say hi and that I'm still here. I have a picked a nasty sore throat and ear aches. I didn't get up early to exercise. I think I've about decided to just wait til the parts for the Gazelle come in. It's less than a week away and I just don't feel well.
Welcome to all the new people. I hope you love this site as much as I do.
Valerie, that is the best nsv I've ever heard! Getting praised by the work out instructor. I'm very proud of you.
Ammi, I'm so glad you're feeling better & hope you continue to progress. I'm sorry about your tongue issues. That can't be fun. Hang in there.
Missed my weigh in this am cuz I feel so lousy. I barely made it to work on time yesterday and today. It's a good thing it's the weekend. I'll get DH to help me with the shopping, we'll go to the football game and I'm just gonna
try to rest the rest of the weekend. Ill check in when I can.
Hugs to all.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #38  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

STOP!!!

DONT POST HERE!!

MEET US FOR MORE OF A GAB FEST
ON #1038!!
Closed Thread