Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #16  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

happy birthday Lillon

I'm still getting my feet wet and right now i'm feeling overwhelmed. I skipped the gym yesterday... i must go today.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #17  

Talking

Good Afternoon Ladies!

Nessa – Hope your day is going well. Try not to be overwhelmed. Baby steps are the key to succeeding in any venture!

Valerie – Sounds like you are having a great day! I can't remember the last time I worked out for an hour! I SO need to do more exercise…but I keep plugging along.

Mary – Pest? Pishaw lady! This is THE place for venting, complaining, whining, blabbing, and generally going on and on about your life and the events that make it what it is! Everyone needs a sounding board…and we're all here to lend an ear – or in this case, an eye! Oowwieeee on the hip! Youch! Sharp pains in joints - NOT fun! Glad it's back to feeling better! Don't let it stop you now…hopefully it was a one-time thing. Maybe you just twisted funny?

Terri – Sounds like you finally found a doc that'll take your mom seriously! I'm glad she got such a good going-over! I greatly admire anyone who gets up early to exercise. I kind of get up, stumble to the kitchen for caffine, stand dumbly under the shower and manage to be somewhat coherent by time I have to leave for work. Morning person, I am NOT!

Karen -

Ruth? Where are you dear?

2Cute? We miss you!

Come on you new ladies! I know you are out there – I hear you breathing in Cyber-land. Come and let us know you better!

Today has been a good OP day. Helped out by the fact that I literally was so busy from 8:30 a.m. to noon that I never had time to even go to the bathroom! I was awfully glad I brought a travel mug of coffee from home, because I didn't have time for a drink either – of course, that actually would have helped the bathroom situation. My DH is joining me for yoga after work, since he doesn't work tonight. I'm looking forward to that! If for no other reason to see someone more out of shape than myself – I'm such a bad wife!

I suppose I should get busy and get some work done. It has been seriously lacking this week. So you ladies have a super-cool, OP and healthy day! And I'll check back later!
Old 09-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #18  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Good afternoon!

Ladies, i'm sure a lot of you will like this from Dr Andrew Weil...

"Fats Foster Better Nutrition
Believe it or not, adding fats to salads can make them healthier, according to research conducted at the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center.

In a study published in the March, 2005, Journal of Nutrition, eleven study participants ate a mixed salad or a tomato salsa, with and without avocado or avocado oils. From three to five times more carotenoid nutrients such as lycopene and beta-carotene were absorbed by the participants who ate the salad with avocados, which are about 17 percent fat. Previous studies have shown just as much benefit comes from including full-fat dressing on salads.

Naturally, the key here is balance. Fatty salad dressing may help you absorb fat-soluble antioxidants and carotenoids, but keep your daily caloric load in mind before upending a bottle over your greens. I recommend sparing use of fatty salad dressing, but more liberal ingestion of avocados, which come with lots of vitamins, minerals and monounsaturated fats. Since the fat is part of the fruit, overdosing on the fat in this form is less likely."

Something I've used a long time!

Thin, it's amazing the incompetence that we see in the medical profession. So much of it seems to be concentrated in this thread alone! Glad DH has somewhat of an alternative on those classes.

Bunna, I can't really do the "cutting back" successfully, although I guess it depends on your definition of cutting back. I completely cut out sugar and use a natural alternative called Stevia. I cut out all processed foods and cook myself. I cut all white flour and use whole grains or sprouted grain bread. So I guess the name of my game is SUBSTITUTION. I actually eat MORE QUANTITY and MORE FREQUENTLY. I am never hungry, my blood sugar stays level and I have no mood swings. By the way, my father owned restaurants so I grew up in that atmosphere and currently work in a restaurant/bakery, so I know your pain! It is possible. Once I cut the sugar and flour, I no longer had the cravings even being around it every day. You can do it too! I also find that people around me appreciate what I'm doing and tend to want to support me. They giggle every now and then about the "picnic" that I carry with me most of the time, but now at 45 pounds gone, most of what I hear is "what's for lunch?" "can I have some?" "I need to do THAT!" People that care about you should be happy that you're trying to bring back your health and if they aren't supportive of that, I would ask them why. Why should you have to pay the price for their feelings any way. We are all responsible for ourselves.

Valerie, "Then put a nice little sign on your garbage can: "Later." Love it! OMG...I was sitting here trying to figure out what you were talking about, "a guy with 3 inch long legs" before I finished reading! Way to go on the BMI

Angela, Can you try carrying something like hard boiled eggs with you? I have a couple in my thermal bag with everything else so when I only have 10 minutes between classes I can at least get some protein down. Being there from 7 am til 7pm and having to eat every few hours is a challenge! I don't worry about "full meals", I just have to get something in to keep from starvation mode.

Lilion, Yay, on no cake! We can find other ways to celebrate! I'll go check out the pics. So COOL that DH is going to class with you! Awwww.

Terri, I've always heard that early morning is the BEST time to work out any way. Something about the effects continueing through out the day. Very nice on the thorough testing! I need a man that cooks!

Java, are you military? The "diet legs" comment would lead me to believe, Navy? My family and husband were across the board, Army, Navy, Air Force. And no you're not a pest. By the way, don't worry about making notes, just do what I do and open 2 browser windows side by side. I read the posts on one and write in the other! Oh, and I LOVE your light bulb moment!

Nessa, Jump right in the "water" is fine!

Off to do homework!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #19  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Well, today was a wonderful day. I got my first 3 Secret Shopper jobs (which I'd tell ya 'bout, but then I'd hafta kill ya), I got a new riding student (one that will actually pay cash), I had TWO real live actual full-length communications with - yes! - my husband!!! Bill is going to give me $$$ for clothes & food, we got the issue of his daughters wedding pretty well settled, I said what I really needed to say about the $200 jumper cables, I got to play horsies, I met a new friend, I managed to get both OBG and eye dr appts for next Mon/Tues (while I still have insurance), my cals are at 1600 again (even with half of an Atkins low glycemic impact coconut bar) and I had a 20 minute walk in the sand this evening (in addition to my a.m. workout), my BMI is down a couple more points since January, I got a check for $200 for back lease money on my horse, and I had another particular financial concern settled.

Ya know, today COULD be better.... If I won the lottery and someone gave me another friesian horse. But I just don't think I better complain!

Oh yeah, and while I was laying on the kitchen floor searching the back of the cupboards for the elusive pieces of the blender to mix diet drinks, Barb (housemate) came home and said "Look what one of my customers gave me." It was a small, handy, one piece, easy to clean blender gadget that works GREAT! Phooey on the blender!

Now, if someone else would just do the dishes.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #20  
ONEderland here I come!

dishes... i have to do the dishes tonite... i didn't cook.. girl child did.

oh btw we call our daughter (my stepdaughter actually) girl child... because i have 2 sons and she's the girl child.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

Nothing new to report. I'm feeling lazy and its Friday. Dipstick dog is laying at my feet just in case I might get away from him.

Anyone try Crystal Light Sunrise? I like OJ but real OJ has so much sugar. I'm going to try the natural orange flavor. I have become addicted to drinkg CL at work. I take the singles to go and have a big thermal mug at work and it helps me drink more water. Raspberry ice is wonderful!

Valerie - It is wonderful to see such joyful posts from you again. I need to get my butt in gear because I have two horses to ride next spring and I'm getting anxious to get on them. I think I'll put a saddle on Phoenix this weekend just to see what he'll do. I'm actually thinking about riding Ginger around the pasture. Too bad you're not closer, I'd love to take lessons from you. Hmmm, maybe next year!

Nessa - What did the girl child make? Did you make it to the gym?

Karen - Having a DH that cooks is wonderful! Except I've forgotten how to feed myself when he's gone. I had read similar stuff about salad dressings in Prevention and gave up on the FF kinds. I go for the good fats and have no guilt.

Lilion - on that 13 minutes on the IM. Keep doing that and you might break the 240 barrier very soon. I'm so proud of you for keeping up with the yoga. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Thin - That is always the case with either dumb docs or the IRS - get something potentially bad or scarey and its always after 5 pm on a Friday night.

Mary - Enjoy your posts! That hip thing doesn't sound too good. I know from experience because I have something in my left hip that gets in a bind or something and hurts and makes it hard to exercise. We'll probably both have to make a trip to the doctor. Good job on the bopping!

Angela - You've almost made it through another week! You don't have to teach on the weekends do you?

Bunna - How fun to own a restaurant! Tell us more! I'm basically trying to cut back. I've tried WW and South Beach and liked both - but its too hard for me to follow a plan when I'm not the cook. I've given up trying to explains the plans to DH because when I do, he acts like he's had a labotomy and can't comprehend anything I say. So I try to plan meals that he will like to limiting the starches and fried stuff and at other times, just try to watch my portions. Lunch at work is my downfall and it shouldn't be because I can eat salads but just don't want to.

Well, its time to get out and feed the beasts and hit the shower. Hopefully I didn't leave anyone out.

Have a great day!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #22  

Unhappy Hello Hens!

I am here Lilion, I have just been in an emotional fog for the last couple of days. I had a call from my GP telling me that I need to go for a pelvic MRI as my test I had done last month show a mass on my left ovary! I was so mad at the surgeon that had the test done. If you remember I told you all that he said was there was no need for surgery at this time, not one word about the mass! I called his office yesterday and all they could defend themselves with was that this was a GYN problem and they were general surgery. I told the nurse that someone should have mentioned there was a problem. I was so steamed I couldn't even put words together. I hung up and had a total melt down. If I hadn't had them send the results to my GP I might have gone for months without knowing that. Partly my fault for avoiding the check-ups that I hate. Still, they should have informed me about the problem, I paid for the D--- test, shouldn't I have gotten the true results. I think it is because I am obese and they just don't want to bother with me. Can you tell I am mad as H---. We often get treated as if we are not prone to have problems that the average size person has, and as if we are not important.

Ok, sorry gang, I just had to let off that steam. I am aware that this is one of the reasons all of us should take our weight more seriously and try to do something about it. I admit that I am not very good about sticking to plan and often going off and undoing all that I have accomplished. It may be a little late for me, but all of you still have a chance to do better.

They are setting up an appointment for me to go for the MRI. I will let you all know how that works out. In the meantime for those of you who pray, how about remembering me? Can't hurt. Until later, Ruth
Old 09-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #23  
ONEderland here I come!

hey Terri I love crystal light... but I do this with it... mix 1 pkg lemon with 1 pk tea and make lemon tea in a gallon bottle... then I OMG add peach and vanilla sf syrups to it.... a TREAT....

girl child made brown rice and salad and heated up the chili i made the night before... she's so 14 one day a child the next trying to be a grown up....
Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #24  

Smile Tgif!

Good Morning Ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbe View Post
I am here Lilion, I have just been in an emotional fog for the last couple of days. I had a call from my GP telling me that I need to go for a pelvic MRI as my test I had done last month show a mass on my left ovary! I was so mad at the surgeon that had the test done. If you remember I told you all that he said was there was no need for surgery at this time, not one word about the mass!
Ruth: Boy SHOULD you EVER be mad! I'd be absolutely FURIOUS! And I sure as shoot wouldn't EVER go back to that Dr. again! Still, I really hope that it turns out to be nothing too serious. My GYN basically told me to expect things like cysts at my age, some of which need attention and some of which don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbe View Post
It may be a little late for me, but all of you still have a chance to do better.
Now THAT I don't want to hear from you lady! It most certainly is NOT to late for you! I am quite sure that you are capable of taking care of yourself and your weight and getting back on track! We believe in you! Don't you dare give up on yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined to succeed View Post
Nothing new to report. I'm feeling lazy and its Friday. Dipstick dog is laying at my feet just in case I might get away from him...Lilion - on that 13 minutes on the IM. Keep doing that and you might break the 240 barrier very soon.
Terri - Okay - What's the 240 barrier? Dense here I'm sure. My dogs don't lay on my feet - although if they both did it would sure be nice and warm! Mine lay over the back of the couch, staring, dooling, whining and wanting Mommy to come over to their side to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLifeWithoutHorses View Post
Well, today was a wonderful day...
Valerie - Sounds like it truely was! I'm so glad to have you posting such happy posts again! Truely shows how miserable you were on the truck! I'm glad life is looking up for you these day...

Karen: Mmmmm - avocado! I shall no longer turn my back on guacamole!

And to everyone else...A BIG "Hello!"

Well, yoga with DH was nice. He really liked it and plans on going every other Thursday when he's off work. I need to start going more often myself...but I do have the problem of DS being home alone until I get there. Not that he's incapable of being alone for three hours - but apparently, the little snot is disobeying us! We limit his video game time. He gets so obsessed with the darn things! Anyway, he was told he couldn't play while we were gone yesterday - DH noticed the game in the wrong place this a.m. and when he checked the memory card - DS saved his game yesterday at 6:15 - while we were at yoga. He gets ONE chance to tell me the truth tonight! He's SO grounded if he doesn't come clean! NOT a happy mom!

Today is casual Friday and I am both proud and uncomfortable to state I am wearing my size 18 jeans! Proud, because they are size 18, non-stretchy jeans. Uncomfortable, because while they fit and look great standing up - I CAN'T BREATHE SITTING DOWN! I really must try sitting in my clothes before I leave for work! This is going to be a miserable day. But it certainly gives me motivation to skip the snacks!

You know, I'm certian I had other things to say...but right now can't think of a thing! (Must be the lack of circulation caused by these pants!) So I guess I'm off and I'll pop back on if I remember it! I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #25  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face Brrrr it's cold this morning

Hi gang. I had a rough day at work yesterday and self medicated with chocolate covered pretzels, a chocolate bar AND my coworker's BK Fish Sandwich, WHICH she was going to throw away because they goofed her order up again. I felt pretty bad for the binge and have since accepted my total break down of self control and will power and today has gone okay so far. I'm going to journal everything and do my "damnedest."

Here's my first stab (in a long while) at personals. I've inserted first names when I've seen them listed. I hope that's okay to address some of you by your first names, rather than screen names. Also, I've tried my BEST to keep it short.

Nessa: I know you've heard it over and over, but baby steps really are the best way to go. Now Turtle? Practice what ya preach

Lilion: I WISH I was too busy to eat. I know that's not a good thing (we must eat), but I'd like to think I could go five minutes without thinking of food. I hope things sort out for you and you have some time to yourself. Yoga eh? Is that suitable for us LARGER gals that can't get down on the floor?

Karen: Thanks for the article on fat. I did find it very informative. Nope, I'm not military. I'm law enforcement. I do wear a law enforcement uniform WHEN IT FITS. I actually had to "call in fat for work" when it didn't fit this year. My MALE boss had to get with his MALE boss and order me "fatter" pants. How humiliating. Until the bigger trousers come, I'm in Polos and jeans. And thanks also for the tip on the extra browser. I don't think my antique computer here at home could handle that, but I'll certainly give it a try at work.

Terri: I don't like orange juice, but I DO love the CL. I was forking over big bucks for the sugar free Kool-aid too, until Pooh Bear told me about Walmart's off brand. Then I was shocked to find that it had less calories than the real brand. I make pitchers of it and carry it in bottled water bottles (and I drink water too). I'm a very hydrated Turtle.

Iwillbe: I'm sorry you've found your health care providers and GP to be substandard. But that's been my opinion all along. All of them, from my surgeon that botched my WL surgery to my Neurologist and his MS diagnosis and subsequent "care." I've got such a bad track record with docs that they probably have my picture posted for the receptionist to shoo me away if and when I come in. It practically takes an act of congress to get me to the doctor these days. I mean it's got to be serious. And I know what you mean when you say you think they don't want to fuss with you because of our weight. I feel the same way. But though we're obese, we DESERVE the best health care and we as Hens by golly, have to demand it. Don't back down.

And now, Turtle must return to her house work before GOING to work. Sigh. Let's go Mountaineers!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #26  

Hello my dear Turtle! I just realized I've been using your first name all along. Hope you didn't mind. The binge: We've all been there. My downfall is usually eating out or in social situations though. I have a terrible time turning down free food! I'm great so long as I'm cooking for myself...but send me to a barbeque and it's Sally bar the door! Good for you for re-commiting! Keep it up! As for yoga....we do get down on the floor a lot, but I bet there are yoga tapes out there for people who aren't able to do so. We also do a lot of standing poses - but they are WAY more strenuous than the floor ones. I hear there is a "just my size" yoga tape/dvd that is quite good. It isn't really much of a work-out, but it's great for flexibility and posture and balance. I like it. Always makes me feel relaxed and healthy!

Back to work. Lunch over!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #27  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning to everyone, I just joined this site yesterday and am a little overwhelmed at all the info and stuff here. I posted somewhere but can't find it. I was asking how to get a little sliding progress thingie you all have at the bottom of your posts, showing weight loss. Hopefully, I won't lose track of this post. I just had my 45th birthday last week and started TOPS 2 weeks ago today. I've lost 11.5 pounds so far and am looking forward to my first small goal, to be able to use their regular balance scale. Right now I have to go to the local building supply and use their mongo poundage scale. Only 30ish pounds to go until then.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #28  

Hello Mother - Can I call you Mom? Dont feel badly about being overwhelmed! There's a LOT of places to go and things to see here at 3FC. Here on the Old Hen's board we move along at a more leisurely pace as becomes more mature, refined and genteel ladies!

As for finding your other post - try clicking on your name to the left of the post you just made. You should get a little list, one of which is "find more posts by the_mother". Click there and you'll a list of other posts you've done.

The "sliders" at the bottom of the posts can be inserted in your "signiture". Go to the purple menu bar at the top of this page. Click "User CP". Then Click "Edit Signiture". You should be able to find your way around from there.

...And to the Old Hen's board!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #29  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

The MOTHER - WELCOME!!! I hope you don't lose us, too! Ah, Montana... I miss the antelope already. I guess I've made my last drive across your fair state, but I never got tired of the 'lopes. They always seemed a little exotic to me, like gazelles, but I suppose that sounds silly to you. I'm back among my white tailed deer again. Just saw 2 on the walking trail in front of me yesterday. AWESOME start with that 11.5 down!!! You were asking about "tickers" at the bottom of our posts - yeah they're fun. At the very top of this page, but beneath the 3FatChicks logo, there's a thin dark purple tool bar. At the far left is "User CP". (You can also find the "User CP" using the "FORUM JUMP" bar at the very Bottom of this page.) Once you've clicked on User CP, "Edit Signature" will be on the menu at the far left. I bet you can figure it out from there. It takes a bit of experimenting, but there are lots of little goodies and options they've invented for us. If you need more help, just let us know. THINTHINKER is the queen of explainations, and if we can't help you, I'm sure she can. Please come and chat often, or when ever you can, and don't worry if it's a bit hard to keep up sometimes. We all understand that there is life outside of 3FC, it's just better WITH 3FC, RIGHT LADIES??? And it's not at all necessary to answer everyone's posts. Just post whatever you're comfortable with!!

TERRI & LILION, Thanks for the welcome back from bummerville where I've been dwelling for who-knows-how-long. It's great to "be back."

RUTH - OMG, what a scary thing to have your doctor ignore such a thing. I'm glad SOMEone said something, and I hope ultimately that it turns out all right. PLEASE keep us posted, and of course I'll keep you in my prayers.

HI NESSA, KAREN, MARY, JAVA, BUNNA, THIN, ANGELA, 2CUTE & EVERYONE I've missed.

Locked myself outa the car today. I had the dogs in there with the engine running for the a/c for them. Several times I've come back and found that Simon had jumped on the buttons and either unlocked the thing or rolled the window down. Do you think I could get him to do it today??? $35 bucks in the end. great. NOT the end of hte world tho!

Things are getting organized around here, and by next week I should be feeling kinda sorta like a normal person. My sleep schedule is still sorta weird... and the puppy isn't helping, but hey, he's a puppy. I'm slacking on the exercise so far today, but cals are on track. Will exercise before the day's out - I promise.

OOPS! Look at that - The lovely Ms Lilion snuck in on me!

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 09-08-2006 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Ms Lilion snuck one in on me!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Lilion - breaking the 240 barrier = getting down into the 230's once and for all!
Closed Thread