Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #16  
I'm In Exile

S/C/G: HUGE/HUGE/Semi-Normal

Kayley this is a difficult thing for so many of us because all of our lives we have been told that fat=ugly. You are not ugly you are beautiful and its important you learn this now and learn to cherish yourself before you end up in a cycle of yoyoing weight and battered and shattered self esteem. Its not too late to put your self esteem back on track. You need to believe it when Andrew compliments you. And as silly as it sounds you need to look in the mirror every morning and tell yourself you are beautiful and reclaiming your health and your life is worth the effort it takes. Losing weight is only one part of your self esteem, and since you are working on that, you might as well work on the rest of your issues too. Talk to a professional if you need to, you have your whole life ahead of you, live it don't merely exist.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #17  
determined to lose

Tracey - you are just doing all the good. Sounds like those pink and white sneaks are getting some good use! Keep it up!! When is your WI day??

Countess - I thoroughly enjoyed your puppy movie. They look like they are quite a bit Lab, they obviously love the water. Your beach looks very nice and secluded.
So glad your husband and you rescued the pups, you all saved their lives!

My friend and I rescued a Kitten last year. I found him almost drowned in a hole on the side of her house under a bunch of ivy during a bad rainstorm. She took him in and raised him on a bottle. Most spoiled brat of a cat I ever met and that is saying something! But he is beautiful. Looks like an oriental siamese but he is all black (dk brown but black unless the sun hits him) slender as I dont know what and slinky.

Erin - looks like you are well on your way to your goals! That is super! You work your program the way it works for you! You sure seem to be getting good results from what you are doing! Congratulations!

Crock - that sounds like it will be an interesting paper. Especially with your background.

So you are doing Phase 2 with no cravings, that is GREAT!

Good luck on your math test and the paper, I am sure you will do well on both of them. So far you have done great on your tests...knew you could do it!

Lilion - Sorry you have to deal with such a restrictive HMO. I hope you get all the procedures you want done and they are all successfull. Thanks for the comment about the shoes. I guess I just cannot believe the 10 pound loss so I keep weighing myself...not good..stresses me out. Besides it is never the same thing twice so far. I just hope when I weigh in next time it does not show a gain. HOpefully Tuesdays will all be losses. ha ha

Julee - you have done it before, it should be easier this time! I bet you show a loss after your PMS situation abates. You have done so great with your weight loss! I know you will get back on that horse with both feet.

Ammi - I hope you are feeling well. You are not your usual talkative self and it worries me. Please be okay! and still trying!

Laura - Congratulations on kicking Coke and I hope you are whittling away the 40 co-morbidities (?) and eliminating them along with your extra weight. It looks like you are doing a great job by your ticker. I wish you well and welcome to the group. Thanks for the link by the way.

Nancy - congrats on staying focused at work! Damn scales, they are so addictive and so cruel! I hope the battery does the trick.

Kayley - Maybe you have self esteem issues. I know I do and it is the hardest thing to accept a compliment. But you know you are doing great! Especially with all your exercise you are getting in. did you get your paper written yet??

Catherine - good advice from one who obviously knows! I avoid my demons...I guess I better stop that and start working on it if it is going to make me gain my weight back...I dont want to go thru this yet again!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #18  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

Voodoo--I dont know why its outside a restaurant, its weird. When we first saw them they were just sitting in some grass by a street in front of a small business. Then a few mos later the people at the restaurant must have bought them and asked the artist to make sombreros for them because there they are now! I dont know who made them, I assume its a local artist. They are really cool...if I find a link to their page or something I will be glad to post it.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #19  
Amy

This may be weird and may be waaaay too much info, but I learned to completely love myself by being naked a lot. I sleep naked, sometimes I brush my teeth and stuff naked...just stuff like that. I'm no nudist--I dont sit around the house naked or anything! But I realized that seeing myself all out there in front of the big mirror in the bathroom every day was enough for me to get comfortable w/who I am.

I dunno, I'm weird. I've been obese the majority of my life and was teased incessantly in school yet I've never really had a self esteem issue. Dont get me wrong--the teasing SUCKED and really hurt and I think I still have a lot of hurt from that. But what hurt me was that people could be so mean; I never really BELIEVED what they were saying to be true. I knew I wasnt a cow--hello!! But people suck and so does teasing--what can you do? Not that it's ever that easy tho...
Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #20  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I am so tired. . . I meant to do so much tonight, and it just isn't going to happen.

On the compliment thing, there is this amazing little word called "thanks". You don't have to agree with the compliment (although hopefully you will eventually), but think about how it comes through from the other side. Telling someone that you think they are lying when they say something nice about you sends the message that you don't trust their judgment - that you think there is something wrong with the way they think or perceive things. Accepting a compliment from a friend is not necessarily about your opinion about yourself, but it is confirming that you value and trust their opinion. When you give someone a compliment, don't you want them to accept it?

Hope everyone is well.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #21  
Amy

Ok, I know I'm post-whoring but I have to say this...

Kayley--when I first came on this thread yesterday your face is what caught my eye. Your facial features remind me a lot of my own. Your look is so pure and kind. Seeing someone that looks kinda like me was reassuring to me that I belonged here. I know it sounds weird...

That being said, since we look alike lemme tell you something: I am pretty. Therefore, YOU are pretty. If someone gives you a compliment and you have a hard time taking it, just think "WWVD?" (What Would Violet Do?-HA!). I know I've only been here for 2 days but maybe just knowing that there's a stranger out there who looks like you and wouldnt want you to turn down a compliment, that might help...? Or maybe knowing that I think you're foxy is good enough
Old 03-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #22  
Amber

S/C/G: 293/277/140

ZedAus, Lilion--Thank you. It means a lot. I actually can't tell you how much it does mean. Thank you.
_____
Well Happy Birthday to me. Today I'm 31. My boss bought me an arrangement of flowers and a really cute card, a friend from Washington state sent a Teddy bear and balloon bouquet from the florist and my brother and dad (who thought today was the day before my birthday until after noon but pulled some strings to get a present bought and delivered before I got home from work) bought me a Memphis SUB for my car. Which is nice. It's a really good sub. It's above the M-Class, but I forget what this one is called...to anyone who knows speakers. But seeing as I listen to old country, old pop and the occassional newer adult contemporary music....it should last forever LOL.

It's been a good day diet-wise. For breakfast, an atkins breakfast bar, lunch was a salad and a chicken wrap (low fat and low carb), and for dinner I was treated to Quiznos...which I have been craving, and completely intended to get a HUGE sub on their terrific bread and not feel a bit guilty about it...however I discovered that they have a low-carb flat bread so I got my sandwhich on the low-carb flat bread and I didn't get the honey mustard to dip it in at all. My brother also bought me a Boston Cream Pie with the strawberry topping. My favorite is the one with ganache but I couldn't have eaten that one AT ALL. As it was I had two very small (like 1/16) pieces of cake scrapping off as much of the strawberry jelly stuff as possible...so it shouldn't have been too bad. Oh, and when I thought that everyone forgot my birthday, with my lunch I treated myself to a brownie, which I ate part of, I gave part to my kids in my class and gave the last little bit to a co worker. So, I didn't have too much of it. Just a taste. I think that's pretty.

Ohhhhh NSV...my waist is less than 40" now!!!! It was 44" when I started and it was 39" last night. I found my tape measure BTW LOL. I've lost 2" in my bust and 7" in my hips. I'm really really short, so my measurements are hideous with my weight being so high.

Okay, I'm going to go so I can workout while "Sex and the City" is on tv. Then I'll play the one's I missed from the other night so I get a nice workout.
I hope everyone had a wonderful day.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Countess, Violet, Nancy, and Garnetfairy, thank you so much for your support, and advice. Some days, I'm like Violet, and think, "dang, I look pretty good!", and then the other days it's just horrid. They offer a Self Esteem class at my college, and even though it's not required, I'm thinking about taking it, as that might help a little bit with my self image. Violet, you literally made me blush! Nancy, you are right...I wouldn't want someone to throw a comment back in my face like that...but I just can't HELP it...I know that's no excuse, but it's the best I got right now....I notice that when someone says, 'you've lost 43 pounds? that's a lot!', I go 'not really, not much difference at all'. I guess that's the same thing as not being able to take a compliment...Yeah, I'm thinking that taking that self esteem class would be the best thing to do...when I can afford it!

Violet, I think it's great that you are comfortable in your skin. Some days, like I said, I can think I look okay, and that's even when I'm naked. I don't like seeing myself naked TOO often, though...but kudos to you! You have a fantastic attitude!

Amber, congrats on your NSV!!! That's really great! I love tape measures!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Amber -- Just a random comment -- I don't understand our body shapes! YOUR size is not hideous! I don't know how tall you are, but I am 5'5", and currently weigh 60 pounds less than you, but my waist is nearly 6 inches bigger!! In fact, when I took my first measurements I weighed 282 and my waist was 53 inches!!

I am just now getting into size 20 clothing, while other people my height and weight I swear are into 16 or 18s! (or heck, maybe smaller)

I'm not complaining, as I guess there's nothing I can do about it. But I don't get why my measurements seem so much larger than other people my size. Perhaps this is part of why I still feel like such a fat cow, despite having lost 70 pounds!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:51 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi all,

Been lurking for a bit just taking it all in. Congrats to all the loosers. Julee congrats on the wedding dress. Wonderful. Welcome all newbies. Kayley. I know how you feel but for me it goes back to being a kid and getting a compliment and a but..... from my mom. I hate it when people notice me and maybe someday we will come to the conclusion that we are worth noticing. I had a lady tell me that she really thought my hair was beautiful. Instead of thanking her, I said oh I hate it ...blah blah blah and then she took me into the ladies room, this was a church by the way, and she took off her wig and I felt like an idiot for complaining about how I hated my hair. So, I have kind of learned to just say thank you when someone compliments me instead of downing myself now. I hope you are able to just say thank you and mean it soon. You are beautiful inside and out!

My hubby and I were driving to the bank tonight and we passed a thrift store. Sitting out in the open was an eliptical machine. It is a big one. My hubby went into the store to see how much and they told him $30.00 He jumped on it and tired it out to see if it works and then he was walking back to the car to tell me that he doesn't think I would get a good workout on one of those. I have been talking about them ever since I have seen all of you talking about them and how hard they are and how much fun too, better on the joints etc. So, he knows I want one. They make them at his work and he can get a 40% discount but that would still be about $2000 or more because they are the big ones that the gyms use and the pro football teams use. So anyway, while he is walking to the car the lady comes out and I guess she was afriad he wouldn't buy it now so she yells at him how about $20.00. He went and bought it. We brought it home and it is very sturdy even for my 477 pounds. Whew they work you out so much. I only did 1 minute on it I am sad to say but, I did it 2 times. I am feeling it in my legs and when I am on it, it works every single part of your body out. I feel so lucky and blessed to have one for such a price. God is so good. Oh, and my hubby jumped on to show me how easy it was and he only lasted a little over a minute too. He is in good shape too. LOL.

Well, hope you are all well, be blessed,
Dogpal
Old 03-10-2006, 04:20 AM   #26  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

dogpal - you cant have an hour without the first minuite. congrats!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #27  

Good Morning,
Hope everyone has a good friday! Everyone is doing great keep up the good work!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #28  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I posted a 2-pound gain at TOPS last night, but my weigh-in at home in the morning said I stayed the same. I expected it, though, since I don't usually eat before my TOPS meeting, but yesterday I had a big chicken wrap (with cheese and honey mustard!) and some baked cool ranch Doritos, so I know it'll be gone when I weigh-in next week

Kayley--I used to have MAJOR problems with accepting compliments. It wasn't even for my appearance...anytime someone told me I wrote a great paper or had a nice piece of jewelery or anything, I would pretty much shrug them off. I think it came from my mother who always expected me to do better. When I brought home a test with a grade of 95, she would ask why it wasn't a 100. I think this made me think that everything about me could always stand to be improved, and so I assumed all compliments were not deserved. Just a thought that maybe some other negativity in your life has made it difficult for you to accept compliments as they were meant to be I didn't really start actually saying, "Thank you," until I got to college and met a whole new world of people. I noticed that when I complimented someone, and they said thanks, I felt my comments were appreciated, whereas if I complimented someone, and they shrugged it off, it sort of felt like they didn't trust or value my opinion, and it was somewhat hurtful (expanding on what Nancy said). Think about how you would like to be responded to when you compliment others I know I have low self-esteem...I always have, but anyone can learn a simple new skill, so maybe just try working on thanking people as a social skill.

dogpal--ellipticals are a GREAT workout, but they certainly can take some getting used to! I remember when I forst got on one in my gym in Va Beach, I couldn't even do 5 minutes without just about crying from the soreness in my legs and butt, but by a few months ago, I could fly on it for up to an hour at a time. Congrats on taking that first minute--and for doing it twice!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #29  

Hi, all.

Happy birthday, Honiangel!!!

Kayley ~ You are beautiful. I was looking at the picture pages the other day and saw you and your boyfriend and I couldn’t help thinking how cute the two of you are. I wanted to tell you that, but I thought you would think I was weird if I said that. You guys are adorable.

The problem with having weight problems is that we believe what other people tell us ~ and the bad stuff sticks, not the good. When I was 13, I thought I was a monster. When I was in my late 20s, I was sitting with my family and looking at school pictures from when I was 13 and I couldn’t believe how normal and good I looked. At that point, I couldn’t understand what horrible things my peers saw that I didn’t. It hurt to see what I had let other people do to me, but it was very enlightening.

I wish I was your age, Kayley, and could go back and undo all the crazy diet, weight issue stuff that I have done over the years. Take our advice about working on the issues now and not waiting ~ you will save yourself YEARS of misery. I think the self-esteem class is a wonderful idea. Every person on this planet could use that class.

~~~

I got on the scale this morning just out of curiosity (I’ve been bad) and I lost a pound. I don’t know how it is humanly possible, but OK. I’ll take it.

Last edited by Tashabella; 03-10-2006 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #30  
South Beach Life Style

Good Morning Ladies

Thank God It is friday``` This has been the most dreadfull week!, in 6 more hours I can put this whole week behind me, Math test and then I am done! I have had it with this week for sure!

I am staying OP an everything is going well. I finished My paper.. 8 pages.....
Weigh in Monday,,, I doubt I lose,, Stress alone will make my weight stall... we shall see though.
Closed Thread