Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I am the last person to judge someone who is afraid to go to the doctor. I should get a complete physical to make sure I don't have cancer. I need to get a pelvic, mammogram, etc. I also have a couple of moles that look suspicious. Yet I a postponing.

But guess what? I have decided it's time to face my fears. I did my company's health assessment and it wasn't so bad. And I am going to make an appointment to get these moles looked at. I don't want to have gone through this weight loss just to die of skin cancer

And I am going to face my fears and get a complete physical. I promise.

I hate to break this to you, but you can postpone a doctor visit for only so long. Moving to the doc is voluntary now, but if you don't address your health problems now, you may end up having to go to the hospital with more serious issues in te future. I found that out the hard way in 2010 when I wasn't feeling well and ignored the symptoms. I ended up having to go to the hospital emergency room for gall bladder removal surgery.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #17  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 314.15/289.9/150

Height: 5"8

Smile

I almost know how you feel hunny. I came off happy pills about 2 weeks ago, but really because they're not needed anymore. Trying to get pregnant for the last 2 years, with no joy.

When I went to the doc last, she popped me on the scales and i was horrified!

So I decided to take a stand. I've always been a big girl, don't get me wrong and like you birth control helped to pile the pounds on when i was a teen.

Part of me regrets that now, but it's the past and nothing i can do about it now.
Doctors scare the whoolies out of me too. I'll put off going for something like an ear infection for as long as I can bare the pain, but sometimes they actually do care.

If i may ask what sort of diet / exercise did you do the last time you tried to lose some lbs? Maybe you didn't lose much because your body needs something else to give it a kick up the... well you know. Again the doc may be able to suggest alternatives.

You don't need to be ashamed of your weight, and DO NOT be ashamed of WHO YOU ARE! I'm sure your little one loves you and is prouder of his mum than you could ever imagine.

So, babe! We're all in this together, even if we do live worlds apart. Everyone's story is different, but our goal is the same!

LozzCowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Height: 5'4

I finally called and made the appointment. I want to cry. I'm scared and relieved at the same time that I called. I go in on May 2nd.

Lozz: I've tried step aerobics, wii fit, walking, hiking, running on a tread mill my parents own and joining curves. I did curves for a year at one point before my son and lost 6 pounds. Yeah that wasn't worth it. I love walking and hiking but with my work schedule I am only able to work out about 3 times a week for anything unless it's a work out video at home or wii fit.

I know I need to do this for my son and for my husband but also for myself.
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #19  
Patience & Tenacity

S/C/G: 386/T/154

Height: 5'6"

Yay!! You made the appointment!
FrecklesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Kierra - I saw that you posted over on the PCOS board and I welcomed you there.

Some advice, after reading your original post.

PCOS patients usually have a Vitamin D deficiency. Part of your lethargy and depression, could be linked to that (especially seeing where you live). Please ask your doctor to test you for this! I live in much sunnier climates and when my Vitamin D was tested, I was at 24 (Doctors now say that your levels shoud be above 60!). Even now, and I make a conscious effort to exercise outside and go outside, and I take a 5000 mcg Vitamin D3 capsule, my Vitamin D levels are still only 63.

If you have diabetes and hypertension in your family, chances are you have insulin resistance. The bad news is that this does make losing weight harder, on top of the PCOS stuff.

THE GOOD NEWS... you can eat low carb and this will help you.

But look, if you're trying to diet and only count calories and still eat a lot of carbs, you're going to suffer. You will have cravings. Your blood sugar levels will rise and drop and you'll want to eat to make your body feel better.

The only way to get off that roller coaster is to stop the madness of eating sugar/simple carbohydrates. Your pancreas can't produce enough insulin to manage the highs and lows... that's just the nature of IR.

And, for the love of your child and everything you hold dear.... BABY steps. Change one thing today, just one tiny thing, like drink 8 cups of water. Do that for a week. Don't change anything else. Then maybe, next week, if you're drinking sugary soda, switch it out to diet soda or club soda (so you still get the fizzy, minus the sugar). Then the following week, try something else, like adding more vegetables or fruit to your diet.

It's a process. You're dealing with a lot right now. Go to the PCOS section and read more articles about how to treat PCOS. If you're on Facebook, I really recommend liking "PCOS Diva", she's got a lot of helpful advice.

Good luck!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #21  
Calorie Counter

Kierra, I'm sooo proud of you!!

It is a long long road, a road I've only just started walking. But knowing there are people here looking out for each other is just amazing!!

Hopefully the doc can give you some advice that is useful rather than just a brush off. And as Rana said talk to the doc about your pcos and other things that go with it. I've already been checked for pcos and all's clear at the moment. It is always in the back of my mind though.

Working out 3 times a week is fine!! Don't let anyone else tell you differently!! The only reason I do aerobics every morning is because I have the time. I don't work, no kids etc. Instead of stressing out about getting a workout done, perhaps focus your energy on the smaller things. Laundry, running up and down stairs etc, it might not seem like you're doing loads, but every little thing you do helps.

And don't be discouraged if you don't see improvements straight away. I know, that's easier said than done. But staying positive and motivated is half the battle won!!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 304/207.2/150

Height: 5'5

Having been overweight most of my life I understand your frustration because everything I've ever gone to the doctor for ends up being because of my weight. I broke my finger, Meka, you broke your finger because you need to lose weight. Somethings maybe but not everything.
Meka150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #23  

Update:

So I went in this morning. And I was honest with my doctor that the reason I made the appointment was I keep gaining weight no matter how hard I try to lose. I told him I was concerned about being IR because of both my pcos, my weight and a high inherited risk of type two diabetes. My father is type 2 diabetic and his late mother, my grandma was also. The doctor agreed that I did need to be screened for it and since I had not eaten breakfast since it was an early morning appointment they were able to do a fasting blood sugar test.

A lot of the symptoms I've been having like being cranky all the time, depression, gaining weight, feeling exhausted and like I am in a fog all the time I was attributing to either pcos or insulin resistance. My doctor thinks hypothyroidism may be a possible cause so I had blood drawn for that as well as blood drawn for cholesterol checks.

We did talk about weight loss surgery but he is reluctant to write a referral yet for that because he wants to run the blood work to find out why I can't lose weight and also because he said pregnancy was healthier prior to surgery and I want another baby. Right now I've stopped menstruating for 8 months and he said I am likely not ovulating.

We will see what the blood tests say.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Good for you ! You kept your appointment and told the Doctor your concerns. Soon the Doctor will have results from your blood work and he will have a plan for you to follow.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #25  

Thank you for the reply. I found out from my mom after the appointment that her side of the family has hypothyroidism running through it. She does not but her mother and aunt both do. My blood pressure was ok according to the doctor but it was on the borderline between normal and hypertension when I look up the numbers now. He wasn't concerned yet.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #26  

Height: 5'9"

I know how you feel, because when I have an appointment coming up, I always feel serious anxiety about the "fat talk." Maybe it would help if you had someone else make the appointment? If you are honest with your doctor and tell him you need help with your hormonal issues to lose weight, he should be thrilled that you are there and ready to help you change your life. If you have pcos, it is difficult to lose. And maybe you have a thyroid disorder too. A lack of thyroid hormone causes among other things weight problems and depression. Sound like anyone you know? Get thee to a doc so you can be a fit and healthy mom not just to your little one now, but the one you want to have in the future. Take care.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #27  

Brandis: They took blood today and are testing for both insulin resistance and hypothyroid as well as cholesterol
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #28  
Calorie Counter

Kierra - So proud of you!! Well done for not only making that appointment but for going too!!

At least now, when the blood work comes back you'll know what you're dealing with, so you and the doc can come up with a plan to tackle whatever it is that's making life so difficult for you.

URGH!! SO PROUD!!! Can't say it enough!!

Keep us updated with the situation hunny. We care so much about each other here and if we can help in anyway, we're always just a click away!!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #29  

My blood work results are back. Blood glucose is normal. Cholesterol is normal. Thyroid is normal. However I am insulin resistant which I already figured. I am being put on metformin and I need to visit the doctor again in a month.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #30  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Hey girl we all know how you feel. Us heavy people HATE going to the doctors because doctors are the only people in the world that can say "you're fat and you have to do something about it". It's like being a little kid and waiting for your mom to find out you did something bad. I had to do a physical for a program I got into and it almost killed me going - over 300 lbs!! I also went to my gynie and I have a condition that being obese exabberates and it was so embarassing to have her tell me I need to lose a good 100 lbs or so. Doctors won't judge, they just want to help. It's worth your health to just say it'll be okay, take a moment of courage - and then you'll be done. Aim to impress them at your next appt!
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote