Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #1  
Reclaiming control!

S/C/G: 337/siggy/185

Height: 5'11

Default Skating

Do any of you incorporate roller skating, rollerblading, or ice skating into your weight loss routine? If so, do you find that having excess weight makes it more difficult?

I want so badly to learn to skate. I've only roller skated 2-3 times in my childhood and the last time I went was so traumatic (probably b/c I never knew how to stop) that I haven't been back in 20 years LOL.

Skating looks really fun and enjoyable, but I'm not sure if skating is one of those sports that is more difficult for larger people. Seems like it wouldn't be, but I'm not sure.

Any tips/advice would be great.
MyBodyisMyTemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #2  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

I haven't (I'm not much help, huh?) but I REALLY want to! I hope some others chime in with their experiences because I used to roller skate as a kid and I would love to learn to ice skate.
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 349/T/180

Height: 5'8

The last time I skated (roller or ice) was about 10 years ago and I was like 70 lbs lighter. I was able to roller skate fairly well, basically the same that I have my whole life. However I never took the opportunity to go again and now I would be afraid to because of my weight and falling.
I went ice skating around that same time and I was not able to do it at all, I could not balance myself on the blade. This was suprising, because I have always been able to ice skate very well, so my weight must have had something to do with it.
But...You should try it...IMO, if you are heavy, but have good balance to begin with, I think that you will be able to skate. I don't have good balance anymore, so that in addition to my weight scares the heck out of me...so I will be keeping my feet in shoes, thank you very much!
Good luck and let me know how it goes...I'll be cheering for you
KTFaith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #4  

I have been ice skating 2x a week at a rink down the street that has a discount for employees for $2 that includes skate rental (for lunchtime skating). My santa even contributed $$ so I could get skates for me!! I've had a blast with it. Not fallen. Muscles sore. All good stuff. I only go for an hour even though I could stay for 2.

I switched from figure to hockey skates and found a world of difference. The hockey ones seem to support my ankles better and they are made for a wider foot.

I sucketh at roller blading, but can do it in my basement. Roller skates are easy for me. Go figger.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote