Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ and Getting Fit after 40 #211

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Last edited by Terri in MO; 05-18-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Starting a new thread was a challenge this morning. I have been having a lot of trouble with the site freezing up.

New week and its a holiday weeking coming up! That seems so weird that it is Memorial Day already. Maybe its just me.

I'm kinda feeling like I got hit by the proverbial bus today. Probably because I did too much yesterday. I cleaned carpets, planted the roses, did trim mowing, and about killed myself digging up honeysuckle. My lower back is screaming this morning. I'm trying to get up and walk around as often as possible today to get the muscles moving and work out the soreness. What I do tonight depends on what I feel like after work. I need to do more trim mowing and not sure if I'm going to be working on the front fenceline or not. That is very strenous work which is great workout for the legs, core muscles, and shoulders as it is on a slight incline, unstable ground, and the weeds/grasses are tall. Hence the screaming lower back.

This is where I fall off the cardio exercise wagon. I get to doing so much outside physical work that I don't get to the fitness center or I'm so dang sore in the morning that I don't jump out of bed to do anything cardio. But my body is used to the physical work and I don't lose weight as a result of doing all that I do. I need the cardio. Plus we have so much that we have to do that I end up skipping the fitness center to get home and get productive. I gotta change that this year because the cardio work is necessary for me to be able to continue to do all the other physical work.

Food wasn't too bad this weekend. I haven't logged it yet so I don't think I was within my target range. However, I do know that it was much better than past weekends have been recently. Back on track starting today.

Annette - You are definitely welcome to join us.

Barb - Yuck on the plateau. Fun that you rode you bike to the gym. I miss bike riding. What did you BFF think of your weight loss?

Angela - Good luck on your trip with your mother. You've got a plan and you can do it!!

I better get this posted (hope it doesn't freeze up again) and get busy.

to all!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Good morning girlfriends. I'm a bit low at the moment. I actually woke up in good spirits, but then my parents called and they started spouting off about me having to listen to a preacher they like on the radio who is talking about divorce and how I should listen to it. So I did, and now I'm depressed all over again. And angry. I know my parents want to help, but frankly, they are completely clueless. I'm not the one who is ending the marriage. My husband is the one who wants to be free to go off and be stupid.

So then I weighed myself. I was looking forward to it because just three days ago I weighed in and found I had lost nearly all the pounds I had put on recently. But today, I seemed to have gained it all back and then some, up by eight pounds. I have absolutely not been overeating. However, my hands and feet have swollen like they haven't done in quite a long time, and I know it's because of the weather. It's been around 100 for the last two days. I've been drinking lots of water, but not going to the bathroom enough, so this is definitely a heat-related edema.

So, plan of action...first, let my parents know that I don't want their advice on how divorce is bad (duh!) and that they're not helping me, then I keep drinking water and put my feet up whenever I get a chance to sit down, and I get my sleep cycle back on track. (I haven't been sleeping well either. Can't turn my brain off at night.)

I'm going to get a pedicure and massage today. I need to relax!

Georgia
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.9/254.2/125

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbPA View Post

Annette - WELCOME!!! You've come to just the right place. Jump on in and join us!

As for the rest of you...I'll catch up with you more soon.

Love to all!
Thanks, I wasn't sure. I'm still discovering the site. I linked this site on mine too because it's just so full of everything My oldest daughter may be joining too if she hasn't already, but she'll likely not be in this thread because she's 25. We're in a family competition (biggest loser style) with money and all.... we're all overweight, with me and Lynn needing to lose the most.
I'm sort of bummed though today because my youngest daughter (Mandi, 18 yrs old) posted on our own blog that she's quitting the competition. I don't know how to motivate her. Yesterday we all got Y memberships, I thought that would help her (even if she just goes swimming). ~sigh~
As far as my weight loss goes, I found out 4 months ago that I am diabetic, and I had a 'widow maker' heart attack and stroke 3 years ago. When I found out that I'm diabetic I changed all my eating habits and started exercising 30 min a day... from that I lost 20lbs. Then we decided on this competition so I checked with my dr who was thrilled about it.
When we started we decided that we needed public accountability so we don't stop, and then we made a youtube account and site so we post on there daily, and put up confessional videos and weigh-ins. Anyway, since starting the competition on 05/14/09 I've lost 3.1 lbs! So I'm happy with my progress so far, although I'm losing slower than Lynn and Dizzle (her husband). Lynn has lost 4lbs and Dizzle has lost just over 4 lbs.
Anyone have any ideas on how I can get my youngest to stay in this competition?? Or if you just want to tell her yourself you can comment on her "I Quit" blog at our site. (Just don't be mean k?) I'm doing this competition for my daughters at this point, it's more important to me that they lose weight than I do.
Annette
Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #5  

Talking Good Morning Ladies!

I should be working - but instead I'm posting.

Annette: and I hope you enjoy it here. Good for you for getting your family in on the act. Having other folks working toward weight loss too is an excellent thing! I wish I had advice to give you about your daughter. I'm afraid I don't though. Just keep being supportive and setting a good example and perhaps once she sees that you and your other family are getting results she'll come back in line.

Georgia: Bodies are weird things. You know you didn't gain 8 real pounds in 3 days, so try not to let it get you down. I get on my scale all too often, but my "official" WI once a week is the only one I pay any attention to. Hang in there!

Terri: We were working Missourians this weekend! I also did a ton of yard work, although I think you got me beat. I'd love your honeysuckle darn it! I have red honeysuckle covering a trellis next to my house, but I didn't realize I needed to prune it young to make it branch down low, so I have straight vines up the trellis to the top where it goes crazy. Smells great though. I need to come up with something tall that takes shade to plant in front now to cover the unblooming "trunks" of the honeysuckle. I dug up dandelions and weeded and planted, I mixed up potting soil and planted my peppers and cucumbers and beans. I harvested a bit of cauliflower (1/2 my TWO plants! ) and cut my darn finger with a steak knife doing it! Those cauliflower stalks are TOUGH! We cut down a couple of dead trees and cut those up, cleaned up the patio, and perhaps most importantly, we got the living room and dining room put together enough to be livable again! We were still not using them from having the floors done weeks ago! Not finished yet, but able to use the space again, which is good. I thought I'd be terribly sore today, but I'm feeling pretty good all things considered.

And now I should be working! Gotta run!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #6  
BELIEVE!

Howdy Gals!
I hope everyone's Monday is off to a great start. I'm taking a quick lunch break at my desk and wanted to pop in since I haven't been great about it lately.

Annette - Welcome again! Your family competition sounds great! I'm sure it's frustrating that your youngest wants to quit. I think the best thing you can do is set a positive example. I remember my mom trying to force me into diets, eating certain things, etc. and I just rebelled. It wasn't healthy. The best thing she could have done was encourage me and be a role model. I know she meant best and now that she's gone I'd do anything to have her here busting my chops, but I can't change the past. One thing I've really been focusing on lately is that I can only control myself! I can set an example, be an influence, provide motivation, but the only person in this world I can control is me. Take care of yourself, do right by yourself and hopefully your daughter will follow!

Terri - I know it's tough, but make time for that cardio! You can do it! I'm loving my bike. It's so much fun to hit the road and now that I'm getting more comfortable with it I'll explore a little more. My BFF was so proud of my weight loss. Every time he introduced me to someone (which happened a lot) he told them how much weight I'd lost. It was so embarrassing, but he was so proud. I'll post a couple pics when I have time. Oh - you've seen them on FB. Sounds like you are crazy busy and productive around the house. Just fit in time for you!

Geo - I totally understand the scale frutration! Hang in there...you know it's not for real! Enjoy your pampering today! I've decided to take Thurs/Fri off and I'm going to schedule a massage! ahhh...heaven.

Lilion - You were a busy little one too! Sounds like your gardening is going well. I have a bunch of potted stuff this year. I want to do more...maybe with my days off.

We have friends coming on Thurs nite to spend the weekend with us. I'm looking forward to it, but have a ton I want to do. I started to clean the carpets yesterday with my NEW Bissell....the darn thing is leaking. Gotta figure that out. Of course I no longer have the box or receipt. Ugh.

Hmmm...I think I'm going to call and schedule my massage and get back to work! Chow for now friends!!!

Barb
Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #7  
BELIEVE!

Oh Terri....I forgot to mention. I've been having loads of issues with the site freezing up as well. I downloaded Firefox and have no issues with it!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #8  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Just a quick note at lunch time - no internet at home right now -

Georgia, I'm so sorry that your folks, however well meaning, are making something very tough even tougher. Hang in there! I hope you get both a breakfrom the heat and a more reasonable scale result.

I've just had the most awesome birthday weekend ever. The crowning touch was riding Gabe all over the woods yesterday, and feeling pretty confident. He made one big spook and I heard Shelby (15yo who was riding behind me) yell 'Valerie! He SPOOKEd and you DIDN'T FALL OFF!" I'm not sure which one of us was happier about it. It was really sweet that she was so proud of me. But the confidence I've rediscovered is the absolute best!!

OK, that and the 4-5 pounds the scale finally gave up after 3 weeks of fighting me all the way - hooray!

I can only hope that every one of you has as good a day as I've had for the last few. I'm heading down the home stretch, last 363 days, to my 50th birthday, and I want it to top this one like that KY Derby winner running away, with my health and confidence on a horse better than they've been in years.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi ladies!! Sorry I didn't start the thread this morning. I got really busy and couldn't get here. I cleaned up a bit and moved annette's original post here.

Those of you having site problems, are they new since the move to the new server last week?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Terri and Lilion - finally the weather cooperated so Missouri can start to look like it is supposed to near Memorial Day. Was glorious to work outside yesterday.

Val - nice to see you again.

Annette - welcome - keep posting - this is a wonderful group - more support than you can imagine.

I released 2.5 pounds this week - far from the 6.5 I gained last week. I knew I was in trouble on the too low calorie days while DH was out of town. He is leaving again tomorrow - I have committed to a minimum 1500 cal/day each day while he is gone. I found a Sweet Chili Chicken recipe I think I will try while he is gone - always best to see what fine tuning it needs before I put it on the menu.

Barb - good to see you. Hang in there!

Is everyone developing a plan for Memorial Day picnics, bbqs and pool parties? I'm hoping our annual formal pool opening party is warm enough for friends to swim - I'm ready for some volleyball.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #11  
BELIEVE!

Hey Gals!

I'm finally winding down for the night. I had a good training session tonight although I admittedly putzed about on the cardio a little early. I then went to the doc for a rash I can't seem to get rid of. He's calling it an allergic reaction, but we can't figure out what it's to. So I am on steriods for the next 6 days. I went through this about a month ago and I think it's part of the plateau I've hit. The most important thing is for me not to get frustrated or give up...EVER!

Valerie - HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!!! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time!!!

Carol - I'm hanging...sort of. This weekend is going to be challenging for me with our houseguests. I will keep my head on straight and think about what I'm doing!!

Heather - My issues seem to have started when the paid subscriptions went away. I read a few others having the same issue. That's where I got the suggestion to DL Firefox.

I've got a few more things to do and then I'm headed to bed.

Night Friends!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Heather - I've always used Firefox and never had a single problem.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #13  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi all. Another day of cleaning and packing and running errands. I don't know how I'd manage if I had my old job and had to be at the office 8-5.

Had a little tiff with my mother today, and ending up eating a snickers bar afterwards. (She was making fun of "fat people" on t.v. again, and I pointed out that both she and I are overweight, and then she wouldn't speak to me any more. So I bought and ate a snickers. Go figure. I've been doing that since I was 16. It has to be chocolate, or it doesn't fix the anger.) That's something I've been trying not to do (eat when angry), and today I gave in and made the wrong choice. Luckily, I was able to adjust my dinner time calories and stay under my calorie limit, even though I know that snickers calories are not equivalent to broccoli calories.

Annette: Welcome! I'm so happy your family is working at weight loss together. I have to second (or third or fourth) the comments others have made, regarding your daughter who "quit." Maybe competition isn't the best model for her--maybe she needs to do it on her own, for herself.

Valerie: You're under 300! When will I be there with you???????

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 05-18-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #14  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Angela, my anger-food-of-choice is KFC Extra-Tasty Crispy chicken...in the 8 piece box. I am mentally sending you strength and fortitude, and wishing for you to find a non-Snickers method of escape that really serves you well and healthfully.

I had a really lovely massage today! I was so relaxed afterwards and I really wanted to go to sleep, but it was too early. I ended up going to my godmother's house for dinner and I only just got home. We are both psychology and philosophy groupies and had fun discussing mental health issues and the elderly.

I skipped earlier meals, overate at dinner and didn't drink nearly enough water today. I'm going to go to bed now and will sleep in late. Tomorrow is another day!

Georgia
Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Angela -- My stress food tends to be sweet carbs, baked goods. Cookies, pastry, cake donuts. Is it me or is there a second or two when you are gorging on that food when you feel some "comfort" in your brain from the food? I swear it goes right to the serotonin system. Followed almost immediately by guilt, shame, etc...
Closed Thread