Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 405/387/150

Height: 5'9

Default I need advice from the gym-goers.

So I joined a gym last week and signed up for twelve sessions with a personal trainer. I thought that would be enough to get me started and from there I could go on my own. I just needed someone to teach me how to use the machines properly, give me a routine, etc.

I just had my first session with my trainer, where we just talked for an hour and she's concerned that I wouldn't be able to do this on my own after our sessions were over. She recommended that I sign on with her for like a year. Now this would be awesome.... if I could afford it. The cost is just a little over $5000. I'm a student soon to be swimming in debt. It's not that I don't want to do it, it's that I really can't.

I'm kind of second guessing myself right now. Can I really do this on my own? Because before tonight, I was pretty sure that I could.
Midna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/148/130

Height: 5'4

You know to be honest. After 12 sessions im sure you will be fine.
They are trying to help but... they also like taking your money as well.

This gym i go to.. he called me all the time.. to see if i had got a job n stuff yet..

so i finally signed up.. and i havent seen/talked to him since.
Jassica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/235/155

Height: 5'8''

It might help to sit down with her and say "I appreciate your concern. Here is my situation. I can't afford more than 12 sessions, so over these 12 I would really like your help in building up a plan and a system by which I can keep myself accountable as I continue exercising after our sessions."

She's probably under pressure to make money for the gym, but stick to your boundaries. And don't let her undermine your willingness to make healthy, lasting changes! You can do it!
jenmonkey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/169/125

Height: 5'7

I wouldn't sign up for a thing until you know if you work well together and then I would no commit to a year. I'd go session by session.

Maybe you could share the trainer w/someone else w/ similar goals for $2500/ year?
photoRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #5  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Midna,

First let me say that a trainer is an excellent choice. They will teach you (or should) about using correct form (which in my opinion is the most important thing you get out of it so there are less injuries and you get the most out of your time and money) and also for motivational purposes.

I had an excellent trainer when I first started out at 250 and in horrible shape. First day was chats, measurements and asking me what I wanted out of it. I trained with him one day per week. I did this for many reasons, one for cost and so I could learn but also try things on my own. I chose to get more sessions because he was a major motivator for me and I continued to learn. He is recognized as one of the best trainers in the city.

I am concerned for you. A good trainer should not be defeating you right at the start and trying to make you dependent. She sounds much more like a salesperson! Finding a trainer that fits for you is so important. If you lock into more sessions without even trying her out for the 12 and you find that once your confidence and knowledge grows, you will resent it. The fact that she is encouraging you to do this is not good. Trainers should teach independence not dependence. I've also heard of trainers that try and get their clients 3-4 times a week and their sessions are gone within a month. Space it out a bit, make it last. If she is good, she will see you when you are not with her and come around to give you a smile or ask how you are doing.

Hope that helps a bit (sorry for the rant). I just really believe and have experienced a GOOD trainer and a GOOD trainer does not start out their sessions like this!

Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I love my trainer and have been working with him over 2 years!! In that time I've gleaned a lot about the trainer biz. And it IS a lot about selling.

But you don't have to buy. I agree with those who say have clear boundaries and goals for her, do the 12 sessions. Re-evaluate after that. See this as a business proposition (clearly she does, and that's okay, but so should you). If you work well together, think about more sessions IF you can afford it. Otherwise, don't.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #7  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

It seems a little premature to be selling you on a year's worth of service when you still have so many sessions to get through. Even if you had the means financially, it's not a good idea to get into a long-term commitment before getting a good sense of whether or not the two of you click.

I really wouldn't let her second-guess yourself. Don't rush the 12 sessions and just try to get the most out of them, and go from there. You can always revisit the idea later on if you feel like you are just absolutely stuck.

If your gym offers beginner-friendly group classes, it might be a way to keep structure and interaction in your workout if you feel you are lacking that. I know that if I'm in a spin class, for example, I'm more than likely working a lot harder than if I was just pedaling away at an exercise bike in the cardio area.
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #8  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Since you're in school, maybe an easier route would be to contact your school's gym. I don't know if they have one, I know big universities do,but if they do, go to that department and you can have someone teach you basic forms and moves for nothing. If that doesn't work, maybe take a class in fitness, that's what I did. When I was in college, I had to get so many credits of PE, so I took weight training and fitness classes and was taught about form and what exercises to do. That's why I have never paid for a trainer. For now, go to the 12 sessions, glean all you can but in the meantime, find cheaper options.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 353.6/344.6/180

Height: 5' 9"

Hmm, she sounds very gimmicky, and too much of a salesperson. A trainer is supposed to encorage and motivate you so that you CAN work out on your own, and if a trainer puts you in a position of defeat on the very first session, I would definitely set firm boundaries, and do these 12 sessions, then see if you can do it on your own..in all honesty, after the 12 sessions, you'll probably be totally fine form-wise..i mean, you might need motivation, but you shouldnt have to pay 5000 for it lol. I just think in my opinion, she started off on the wrong foot, and may be more about the cash than your progess.
tlp06289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I would take advantage of the Personal Trainer for now since you have paid for him/her, but you don't absolutely need one to get fit. Especially if it doesn't fit into your budget! I joined Planet Fitness last month and I pay $10/mo! Yes..that is right. I love it! I am there every morning before work and I do the treadmill and then I weight train. You can do it!

Last edited by Torister; 05-06-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #11  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

When I started at the gym I booked 6 appts with a trainer to teach me. Now I book with her 1 or 2 appt when I feel I need a boost. Or especcially when I need to alter the plan to get more benefits. I would recommend asking if the would do quarterly checkin/ups.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #12  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I would use the 12 sessions to figure out a strength training routine that you can manage. Do not accept sessions where she watches you do cardio. Don't be afraid to stretch out the sessions to two a month if you can (not sure what the contract may say). Find something you enjoy doing, as there's a better chance you'll keep it up.

And just because our starting weights are almost the same, let me say this - I have never used a personal trainer. Sure I've made mistakes along the way, and had some backsliding along the way, but you most definitely can do it. I'll admit if I had some cash I'd probably invest in some personal training sessions to correct what is probably poor form, but I just can't.

Also, be careful of the nutrition information she may give you. We've seen a lot of people given very bad information, yes, even by medical professionals. It's sad, but some don't seem to understand that losing weight at different weights requires different calories. If she tries to get you onto a 1200 calorie a day plan... run away as fast as you can. The ladies here can probably help more in the end on that.

Oh, and welcome, from another Canadian. I'm also in Ontario (Southwestern) and am back in college myself, as a mature student. So I completely understand the being broke part.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 405/387/150

Height: 5'9

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm gonna stick it out the rest of my sessions. I just had my first real one tonight and she was really impressed with my energy level and my ability to keep up. I think she might have just judged me on my size at first. Yeah, I'm big, but I'm a lot stronger than I look! So now I feel a whole lot better about everything.

I do like her though. She seems to genuinely care about her job as well as her clients. I'm actually really happy I got a trainer now. She says even though I can't afford to keep her for a year, she'll still check up on me to see how I'm progressing and help out when she can.

Last edited by Midna; 05-06-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Midna is offline   Reply With Quote