Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #206

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #2  

Morning! Grey day here, but I'm hoping the rain is good for all the plants I potted yesterday. I'm trying container vegetables for the first time! (I generally do herbs...)
Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #3  

Hello Heather - fellow gardener and newbie here - what veggies are you growing in containers? Tomatoes do exceptionally well in containers, if you keep them watered, imho, I've never done any other veg in containers though...
No veggie garden for me this year - we're moving at the end of May, so it's kinda silly to plant one here, and it will be too late to get one started in Rochester...

Last edited by Kimberleigh; 04-13-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typographical boo-boo...:)
Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

HI..well scales are trying to mess with my mind...but i refuse to let them. I didnt eat anything wrong ..and the scales are up 2lbs this week. Tom is here and the ham at lunch yesterday was extremely salty! IM increasing water today and maybe it will help flush some of it out.
I have had off and on sinus issues for a few weeks..well I think they finally got the best of me!! I feel awful!! Daughter is running to walmart today to pick up my sinus med and a nasal spray....wondering if my head might weigh 2lbs extra and that is why my scales were up!!LOL
We have a chance of storms today..fun fun. I need to plant my pansie today. My seeds are now little plants..I cant wait to get them in the ground. It will be weeks if we keep getting rain every other day.
Hope everyone has a wonderful OP monday. Drink your water...and get some exercise.
hugs
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #5  

Smile Good Morning Ladies!

I had a LONG and BUSY 4 day weekend with hubby. Thursday we mostly spent the day shopping for tile for our kitchen/dining room. We got started stripping wallpaper at 9 pm and finished at 1:30 am, in the dining room only! We finished stripping the walls on Friday and then took down the big wooden faux-beams in the kitchen. They were supposed to give a rough-hewn rustic look I imagine, but they were in fact, major dust catchers. I was so glad to see them go. Saturday I spent 2-3 hours scrubbing drywall mud off the kitchen walls. Someone previously put it over the original sand-paint texture to smooth the walls for wallpaper, but just in the kitchen, not the dining room. So we had to scrub it off so the two rooms textured walls matched. Then we painted primer and the ceiling. The Sunday we went to the inlaws, and painted the second coat on the ceiling and the first coat of green on the walls in the kitchen! I'll need two coats too, unfortunately, and I am incapable of painting next to a ceiling without getting paint on it, so when I'm all done I'll still have to touch up the ceiling. It'll look great when it's done...that's been my mantra the past four days.

And I managed to get sick, some kind of head/chest thing. So I'm headed home as soon as I can. Thankfully, my hearings today went away, so I'm done with my report to you folks...and headed out!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Good mornin'!

The challenge results are in!!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

The sun is shining and the skies are clear in Northern California today. From where I live, I can see both Mt. Diablo in the Coastal Range as well as the snow capping the Sierras. Already been out shopping with my dad, who is hunting for a new TV...and I get the "old" one for free! (It's not old, just a 26" HDTV that's not as sexy as the bigger one he wants.)

Today I've decided to go very low carb for a few days, to make up for the Easter indulgences. Didn't have a lot of candy, just one piece, but it was huge! I am a slut for dark chocolate covered marzipan, and I worked my way through a whole bar(log) of Niederegger Dark Chocolate Covered Marzipan, which is 1000 calories!

So, penance takes to form of my daily allotment of water, lean ground turkey, spinach and asparagus today.

I caught a bit of an odd little French film on TV yesterday morning. Not sure what it was called, but there was a man who lived in a manor and had taken in a young boy who seemed to have grown up in the wild. The man was trying to teach the boy how to communicate. With each lesson, the boys was given a reward of a clean glass of cool water, which he seemed to relish as he stood at the window of his classroom and looked out over the fields. Imagine that, appreciating a clean glass of water as a reward.

Perhaps today I will drink every glass of water more mindfully, instead of chugging through giant tumblers trying to "get all my water in".

Check this out: http://www.tcme.org/

Georgia
Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #8  

Kimberleigh -- Well, I went to the nursery to buy herbs, but it was a little early, so I got some veggies that are supposed to be cold tolerant: a couple kinds of lettuce, broccoli and brussel sprouts. Oh, and then I did find a tomato plant too... we'll see how it goes!!

Don't forget to exercise and record your minutes everyone!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Three restaurant meals of not the best choices plus a heavy, salty Easter dinner add up to a 2 pound gain for me this week. It was not nearly as difficult to find them as it is to release them. The difference this time is stopping at 2 pounds instead of many more. Exercise is great as is water.

Lilion - what color green? I'm in the picking paint out for our main bathroom and green is one of my favorites.

Heather - have you grown brussel sprouts before? They are so unique, not to mention hardy. Don't get in a hurry for them though. I think I will put some in with the tropical this year - thanks for the reminder.

Georgia - your turkey, spinach and asparagus penance sounds wonderful - as does your view. Thanks for sharing both.

Debi - hope you are feeling better this afternoon. Let's push this sodium right out of us with some additional H2O.

Terri - so it is 4 miles of 5k for the Trolley Run - I'm reading both. Panic set in a bit when I read 4 miles - I know it's only a bit longer but but but....

Big ole Happy Monday shout out to everyone.......

Carol
Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #10  

Carol -- I've never grown a vegetable in my life! In fact, I haven't EATEN a brussel sprout since I was a kid. I'm kind of hoping I like them. Can you tell that was an "impulse" buy?? This is all a big experiment!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Heather - you'll be hooked! Be sure to harvest the broccoli before it gets too big. I bet you will take pics of the brussell sprouts before you're done - I love digging in the dirt in case you can't tell.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #12  
BELIEVE!

Popping in for a quickie hello!

I'm coming out a bit of a funk tonight. The past few days have just been rough and work was stressful today. I had a session w/ my trainer tonight and that did wonders for me. Now, if I can get the kiddos to sleep I'll have a lil time to unwind.

I'll pop back later or tomorrow.

See ya!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #13  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I've had experience in gardening, but have been having fun growing sprouts indoors over the last two years. I especially like broccoli sprouts and have successfully included them in foods for my unsuspecting sons. One time I made some calzone with a whole wheat crust and filling of ground turkey, shredded zucchini, carrots and broccoli sprouts, and a little mozzarella, and my younger son told me he didn't want to know what was inside, but to just keep making them.

Sprouts are easy to grow, great in sandwiches and salads, and really pack in a concentrated amount of nutrients in a small amount. There are so many kinds too.

Georgia
Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #14  

Oh, I'm getting excited about the sprouts!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Hi Chicks!
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Tuesday!
Closed Thread