Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #31  

ammi no time for wii thats bad. i am fixng to go do a round of tennis ..
Old 08-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hello everyone!

What a week! My boss is on vacation this week and next, and I am substituting for him. Of course, the s*** hit the fan this week. My boss's boss's boss is a real nasty guy -- a verbal bully. He is trying to turn over a new leaf (we have new owners and his approach to management won't work with their management philosophy), but when it comes to our business, he just can't help himself. He was so derogatory about one of our projects in a meeting that I just about asked him if we should just cancel it (after investing several million $ already). Fortuntately, I managed to keep my mouth shut . Then, the next day, he yelled at me again in another meeting. About 1/2 of my work week was spent in meetings with this guy -- even if he's not being nasty, I'm on edge wondering when it is going to hit. My boss is a great guy to work for and he shields me (and the rest of our product line) from most of this stuff, but it takes a toll on him -- he had a heart attack a couple of years ago and he's not that old -- early 50's.

School has suffered due to work stress. We have 5 weeks left in the program -- last class is September 5th. I am glad I've been in this program, but my gosh it is a lot of work. A full-time MBA takes 2 years of full-time study. I believe we have done the same amount of work as that, but doing it part time while working. The longest break we've had is 2 weeks in the past 2 years, and for the most part, we just go from one term to another with no break whatsoever. However, I've been exposed to a lot of new ideas, and I'm seriously thinking about entering graduate school as a PhD candidate in a couple of years (not next fall, but the fall thereafter). It takes about 5 years to get a PhD, so I would be in my mid-50's when I finished, but with all the healthy stuff I'm doing, I'll be able to have a long career .

This weekend is another outdoors weekend -- I'm going on a 7 mile day hike today with some new folks I've never met (I'm trying to make more RL friends ). Tomorrow, I might get out on my bike. Right after I get out of school, I'm taking 2 weeks of vacation and going down to California. I'll visit my folks and kids for a few days and then head up to the Sierras for some backpacking. I love the Sierras and I have not been backpacking up there since I was in college (the first time ). I first planned to take one long trip, but then I realized I would make it easier on myself and be able to visit more spots if I broke it up into 2 or 3 trips. I've got at least two of them identified -- one is a 4 day trip and one is a 2 day trip with maybe a layover day. Both are in places that I have wanted to visit since I was in high school. In between trips, I plan to get a motel room, hit the shower , and repack. This way, I don't have to carry as much on my back at one time.

The snow starts flying up in the mountains here around October or November. Another thing I love is skiing -- I haven't been downhill skiing since the early 90's. I did do some cross-country skiing a couple of years ago and loved it. My plan this winter is to take my 5 y/o downhill skiing and go xc skiing with my outdoor pals. Being able to physically be out in the woods and do stuff is what motivates me to lose weight and exercise. I love being outdoors.

Lilion -- Glad to hear you had a good weekend and good for you for getting back on track with your eating. That is one of the hardest things for me to do -- to pick myself up after falling and get back to doing what I know is best for me.

Valerie -- Congratulations on your girls' accomplishments at the fair. What is a morab? I'm guessing a breed of horse, but perhaps not...

Ammi -- So glad you are back! I think that DIY projects count as exercise. I know that I sure am sore after some of them -- so I must be moving some muscles . As far as being resentful about dieting, I don't know if this will help or not, but as I've come back to 3FC (not all that long before you ) and dieting and exercising, I am thinking about this as my way of life now. Just like when I quit smoking and quit drinking, I didn't just look at it as a "break" from cigarettes or alcohol but rather a change in how I was living.

Annie -- I know what you mean about not being able to do stuff. The good thing about being so active so early in my weight loss this time around is that I can really see progress in what I'm able to do on the weekends. I'm glad that quake wasn't worse. I grew up in CA and never was in one of the bad quakes, but my folks were in the Loma Prieta quake (my dad's workplace was right next to the 880 fwy that collapsed) -- fortunately they were not hurt.

Sue -- Good to see you and congratulations on the pants fitting better! I am sending healing thoughts and prayers your way so your body can finish off that infection.

Patti -- Congrats on your 10 lb loss!

Ruth -- Glad to hear that dh is better and a fall road trip sounds like a great thing to look forward to!

Terri -- Seems that if you can maintain in August and keep your activity level up, that would be a good goal to shoot for. It seems that maintaining is as hard as losing weight -- so perhaps a "practice month" isn't a bad idea . You are undergoing a lot of stress right now -- for me, sometimes the not knowing is worse than anything else that can happen. If you need to take some time off from 3FC, know that you will not be forgotten and we will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

Valerie -- Good for you for visualizing success on riding Gabe! Having the self-confidence to try things is so important, I think, and seeing yourself being successful is a piece of that.

Heather -- Nice to hear from you and glad that you're enjoying your vacation!

Rene -- Welcome and I think it is never too late to get healthy. This is a really supportive crowd.

Ok, gals, I think that is everyone . Hope you have a good weekend all!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #33  
rene

S/C/G: 338/321/170

Height: 5foot4

Today has been hot..hot..hot. but I still managed to get some much needed things done in the yard. (and some much needed exercise) I appreciate the support sent my way. It has been great reading the posts and getting to know everyone.
I use to post here a year ago....i wasn't ready to commit. I am now.
take care.
rene
Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'm back!!!

I had a fabulous trip but am also glad to be home and getting back into my routine. The dogs gave us a royal greeting last night. The scale is up 5 pounds, but some of that may be water weight. Back on track today!

Ammi -- I was in Croatia on vacation. We were staying with a colleague of hubby's and his wife. They are WONDERFUL people and really helped make our stay memorable. The gorgeous location didn't hurt! There were many guys like Luca though!

And before Croatia, I was in Berlin -- I had to go there for a conference. I had a great time there too!

So, I've been gone about 2 weeks and was ready to come home! I'll post some pics later!

Last edited by Heather; 08-03-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to drop in and say that I am taking a break for at least two weeks. I need to get into heavy duty study mode so I need to change some behaviors. Like being more organized and less lazy. Maybe its not lazy but less procrastinative. So just think of me being on extended vacation.

to all! Be good and hold down the fort!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #36  

Default hello

hope all had a good weekend. i have actually managed to stay on program with my eating this weekend.. makes me so happy!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

I’ve had a bad weekend, well where my diet is concerned anyway. Noting OTT, but suffice to say I didn’t stick to my points. As a first week normally I either do excellently well, or not well at all. I think I did the latter this time around. But not to worry, tomorrow is another day and a start to another week, so I’ll be persevering.

Patti – well done to you for being so good this weekend, you sure do sound full of enthusiasm this time, and I am sure you are going to be getting to your goal
Did you have your game of tennis on the Wii? Did you see my photos, I sure get into the game when I play it, so it’s brilliant exercise isn’t it!

Elmay – I bet the weekend couldn’t come fast enough for you after such an horrendous week at work. No wonder your boss had a heart attack so young having to deal with the kind of stress that awful man puts him under. Seems like despite having to try and curb his way of management for the new owners isn’t happening very successfully.
Your weekend plans sound brilliant though, and it’s great that you are trying to make some RL friends. Me, I am one popular lady online lol, but only have 1 RL friend who is so busy with work commitments that we only really see each other on special occasions. Anyway I hope you had a wonderful weekend.
I know what you mean as not thinking of losing weight as a diet but as a life style change, but in all honesty that just makes it harder for me. I actually hate the idea of always having to watch what I eat, and feeling guilty if I go over points or don’t get my exercise in. Even when I lost 112 lbs before, some days I was still very resentful of making sure I stayed ‘good’ and by gaining back 56 lbs you can see that it was all too easy for me to go back to my old ways. Oh I will conquer this I know I will, but finding the key is proving so hard. I also feel more annoyed with myself because I lost the weight before and just can’t get back into it again!

Rene – It’s great that you feel ready to commit to your weight loss now, it’s great you are back and I’ll enjoy cheering you on as those lbs come off.

Heather – wow Berlin and Croatia, how awesome. I’m glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time and I am SO looking forward to seeing the photos.
Did you mean that there weren’t many ‘Lucas’ in Croatia, but that the place was gorgeous anyway? I guess I could cope with a visit there even without the eye candy lol.

Terri – I don’t know if you will read this, or do any lurking over your two week break from the board, but just want to say that I hope you’ll get to sort everything out and I’ll look forward to your return

Time for me to go play on Pogo now, so take care all and here's to a great week of weight loss for us all!

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #38  
rene

S/C/G: 338/321/170

Height: 5foot4

Default still hot!

It is still hot...hot..but i changed it to my advantage and did my exercise in a pool. (a private not public one). It felt good to beat the heat and reach the goal for the day. Hope all of you are keeping cool.

take care
rene
Old 08-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Rene - you are so lucky to have a private pool. If I had one I'd not be out of it. I love the water, but hate being seen in public in my swimming costume. Not just because I am fat, but because I have scars to rival Frankensteins monster and an ostomy, all of which puts me off swimming. I am glad you got to swim and you got your exercise and got to cool down as well. How hot is it there? It's rain rain and more rain here and only about 15 celcius. Got to love a Welsh summer NOT

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

STOP and post on the next thread!
Closed Thread