Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #31  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Sharon - I am so happy to hear that DH job placement is fine! Power of positive thinking wins again!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #32  

Height: 5'7"

hello everyone,
things here are busy...summer is just flying by!!
I have garden woes........my tomatoes are dying from the bottom up and I was told by a neighbor it appears to be blight. Im just praying all my veggies get ripe before it wipes out the plant. NO real cure for it...also have to rotate my garden next year. fun fun
Scales are still stuck ...............grrrrr
going out for my walk now and then cleaning out kitchen cabinets. fun fun
julia_ glad we dont have home inspections here..but im not lincesed.
debi
Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #33  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Sharon-that's so great about your husband. One of my brothers is in an industry where he's survived repeated downsizes. Once he even had to do the firing of his co-workers. It's hard, and he may go through some survivor's guilt. It is great once a weight is lifted that it seems so much easier to concentrate.

Annie-That would be great if you SIL could move closer. Living so far away from my family, I miss out on so much. I've never even seen any of my great nieces and nephews.

Got to see my psychiatrist yesterday. He said writing the book has been like ripping a large bandaid all at once. That I shouldn't be surprised or angry at myself that I seem to be listless right now. He's going to be out of town all next week, and I'm going to try to get myself back on track. I'm in a lot of physical pain right now, and I need to be in the pool. Unfortunately my class is canceled for the summer because of the kids' swim lessons. There are other classes I could go to at other pools, but I can't get to them on the bus. I know I can figure something out, I just need focus.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Debie, our peppers aren't growing at all. I think since we planted them, they've only grown 3 inches. I don't know if I'll try those again. Our green bean plants are getting pretty big now and hopefully will start showing us the beans!!! Lettuce is starting to form into a ball now, but the cabbage is still a mystery. We've gotten some great sized radishes, and we're still waiting for the carrots.

Catherine, I was thinking about Oprah too, but I figured you wouldn't appreciate that too much. I don't know if there are any of those people that would still come after you, and if there is, why broadcast about where you are. I DO hope it goes into a second print though. Wow! That is just fantastic.
I hope you get yourself together soon and can get back to swimming when they open it up again. Take care.

Carol, have a great time at the lake. Sounds great!

Julee, the time you had with your Mom sounds so nice. I'm glad she got to come and spend time with you. How fun with the mini makeover. Vegas sounds like it has really changed since I've been there 10 years ago. We definitely need to go back and check it out. Enjoy the rest of your time off.

Annie, thanks so much! You're a sweetie. I wish I had the competitiveness with myself. I KNOW I would feel better, look better and all that stuff, but it still doesn't motivate me to get exercise in. I guess it's because I enjoy going places to do it, but just don't go that many places to exercise at. The beach we went to the other day, isn't that far, but still it would be alot in gas. So I still have to figure something out for here. Still haven't gotten our bikes due to money problems, but maybe in September.

Sharon, that's great news about hubby not losing his job!!! I'm so happy for you both.

I'm sitting here at the computer looking outside at all the yardwork that needs to be done...but I'm still sitting here. LOL. I have to go give my Mom a perm and hopefully that will boost her morale some. She says she feels better today. Maybe going to the doc, and trying to get help will be beneficial to her. There's hope on the way!!
hope all are having a nice hump day
Debbie
Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 387/318/145

Height: 5'8"

Luan-Don't wait you need to get something done about the gall bladder. I had mine removed 4 years ago.
Debbie and Carol- pics look great!
Catherine- You are doing great walking! Keep it up!

I am just checking in quick as I stopped by the house as I have to take the younger daughter to girl scout camp this afternoon!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #36  
Happy Vegan

S/C/G: 318.5/Ticker/155

Height: 5.8"

Hello ladies!

Hope you dont mind but Ill jump in here with both feet!

Im so jealous of all of you with gardens! We live in an apartment (with beautiful communial garden) but Ive put the balcony to good use! Ive got sunflowers growing for my baby to look at. Then I have peas and tomatoes. Ive also planted cauliflower and pumpkins but Im not sure if Ill get anything from them as they were planted very late.

My little one also had his 8 month check with the doctor today, Im happy hes growing well and everything is perfect.

Im also really surprised how quickly my fitness levels are improving. Id been quite lazy for a while but now Im making sure I take the little guy out everyday for a good walk. I dont get tired as quickly and it really takes a lot for me to get out of breath now.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #37  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello all,

I swore I got a post ready yesterday, but maybe I'm just thinking of Monday's post and I'm losing it. It's been a very hot week here and I'm not complaining. It does make it hard to work outside for a long period of time but yesterday afternoon it was like... water, swim, tidy up pots, swim, etc. This morning wasn't too bad so I got some work done, including some serious pruning of the cherry trees. I took a picture of the last basket of fruit last night. Basically I'm hoping that I don't kill the trees. They were just too big for the corner they were in so last year I took about half the branches off. That resulted in a lot of fruit this year, but you almost had to crawl under the cherry laden branches to get around the corner. Then there was the fights with the birds and squirrels for the fruit. Very much worth it in the end though.

I'm enjoying my rest/maintenance week and even though I feel like I'm eating a lot my weight is just holding steady. It gives me a big appreciation for what my maintenance levels are though and that's good. I definitely see a huge difference in my activity levels though. They're still not perfect (ie. I'm still a touch lazy) but better than they were a year ago. I'm even going out for a meal tonight at a British pub-style restaurant (meaning no good choices). Oh well, this seemed like a good week to do it.

I'm going to start personals before I go but I'll make that a separate post when I get home. I hope everyone had a good weekend (good long weekend for those in the US). If the holiday weekend got you off plan then I hope you're back on plan this week.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #38  

Height: 5'7"

Had a nice rainy day here...didnt get my walk after all.
I ended up not doing any cleaning either..hubby talked me into making biscuits and gravy and homefries for breakfast. Then at lunch he wanted sweet corn tomatoes and bacon.. for dinner we had a salad with lots of tomatoes in it!! YUMMY.
Seems like i didnt get anything done today...but yet i wasnt just sitting either...
hope everyone has a great evening
debi
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #39  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello all - well, started before dinner, and just finished up now...

Ally - welcome! I'm sure other have told you but it's just about posting a little, telling us about you, and what's going on in your life. I think I would have driven my mother crazy if she had tried to homeschool me. She was probably happy when I went off to school for those hours. Good luck with the diet goals

Annie - my zucchini is blooming but I don't see any little squash yet. Although I think some of the blossoms don't set fruit and some do. Hey, I just have more time now to watch these things. Glad you had a good visit with SIL. We've never really had family around. My mother's family is mostly in Scotland still, and my father's family was small, and what's left is somewhat estranged. Not from anything specific, just no common interests that bring us together since he passed away. My mother used to have the parties for him (they rarely reciprocated) so once we stopped making the effort they just stopped happening.

Julee - I do sometimes think people are clueless when talking about their own weight. I know sometimes I scan the new blogs here and I'll see someone talking about 'how massive' they are, and then you find out they're maybe looking to lose 20 pounds. I'm not saying that any weight loss isn't a struggle, but they are so negative it drives me nuts. And no, you can't be responsible for someone else's plan. Suggest she hire a trainer and/or nutritionist if she needs her hand held.

Carol - yes, I see the difference in the pictures. Isn't it funny how the face seems to be the first place that you see changes?

Zelma - I've always loved to cook so now my primary goal is to find things I like to eat and make them better, and lower calories as well. I'm really surprised that this tastes pretty much the same, although I didn't make them side by side so I'm remembering something I made last year.

Dusty - hope you got that pantleg unstuck from the wagon.

Debbie - I saw Washington state cherries last week in Costco! Normally I would have snapped them up but this year we've been eating our own for a couple of weeks. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she gets some help for her depression. I'm also hoping that both you and Jim are feeling better with the coughs. You definitely don't want it to get worse.

Luan - great idea about the company benefits. That's the one thing I love about Canada, we're all within the height/weight ratio. Companies usually give extended health benefits (glasses, dental, prescriptions) but doctor visits and hospitalization is covered for all.

Sharon - lay offs never make sense. Usually when plants do % layoffs they'll dump office staff as well. Eventually they end up bringing in temps back into the office. This is because they get rid of the low end people and none of the people left want to file. I'm glad in the end that everything worked out for Steve. I'm sure that's a big load off your mind.

Debi - I really do think that journalling/tracking is important. If nothing else it let's you identify issues if/when things slow down. The other thing is serving size. Weighing portions can help you identify areas you might be under counting calories as well.

Julia - personals are a luxury that we don't always have time for. Just keep us up with how things are going. We never got the storm either. I was really hoping for a little rain though. I can't believe that I actually typed that!

Catherine - I was watching a show one night and the fellow was living in a eco-friendly home. He hopped on a bicycle to use the blender. I was thinking at the time that it was kind of a neat idea. Not that I'd do it, but still.

Heather - so are you excited about your upcoming trip? If I had the money at the moment I would really want to visit Croatia. We now know someone there, but if you let too many years sometimes the invitation isn't as encouraging.

SuomiSara - although we have a house with a backyard, we don't really have much of a garden. Up until this year we grew tomatoes and peppers in pots. As long as you get some sun and plenty of heat (usually good on apartment balconies as they stay warmer at night) tomatoes will do well. You might get pumpkins as you may be able to keep the plants going longer than you would in a garden. It sounds silly to say this now, but in the fall you might have to cover them on cold nights (and old sheet works well). Good luck.

Well, I think that's me through the posts. Anyone I missed - a big

Dinner was pretty good. I'd kind of picked something out before I went, but then I changed my mind. So I had a Bass pale ale (1/2 pint), chicken curry, and then (what the heck) a piece of lemon meringue pie. All in all a nice evening out. We felt sorry for the waitress (third day on the job, but doing well) because the place wasn't that busy. So we left a decent tip and came home. Now I think I'm heading for my bed.

Take care everyone.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Sharon: I thank God that Steve didn't loose his job. Hugs, hugs, and more hugs to you! I'm so happy that the weight has been lifted off your shoulders.
I want you to know that I never ever want to shame anyone in their exercise habits or make you feel bad or guilty at all! It is just so awesome for me to be able to move my body now after 20 something years of sitting on my butt on the sofa and even having to hire someone to clean for me because I was too out of shape and immobile. I used to be soooo active and I am thrilled at all of the things I am starting to do again. So, any exercise you do is wonderful. I'm sure you will get back into it soon. You have had a lot on your shoulders lately. That can take it out of you.

Heather: How exciting! I can't wait to hear how wonderful your trip was and hopefully you will post some pics of it so I can live vicariously through you. lol.

Debi: sorry your tomatos are doing poorly. I would be so sad if my garden wasn't doing so well. This is the first year in about 22 years that we have had a garden and I am just so thrilled with it. I have tiny little tomatos and zuchini popping up everywhere. My apple treee is booming with apples. It just is so wonderful and I hope your veggies start to fare better.

Catherine: It looks like maybe 2 of my SILs will be moving up here eventually. Probably next summer. I hope you are able to get back to the pool soon.

Debbie: Do you have FIT tv? I have it and have recorded some exercise programs that I haven't had a chance to try yet. Maybe you can do the same that way you can exercise at home more. I'm sure you will find something that works for you just keep after it. I will be praying that your mom gets to feeling better soon.

Penny: Hi hun.

SuomiSara: Welcome. The ladies here are all amazing and I'm sure you will find the support and encouragement you need. Good for you walking with your baby.

Anne: Sounds like you had a very fun and productive day in the sun.

I got a call from the City of Liberty Lake for a part time position that I applied for a week or so ago. I don't have a date for an interview yet but hopefully I will hear soon.

I hope that everyone is having a great evening.

Blessings,
Annie
Old 07-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Just a quickie...
Annie no, I didn't mean it in a bad way, all your exercise makes me realise I'm doing NOTHING exercise-wise & I KNOW I should be doing SOMETHING. I just can't seem to get motivated or find something else which needs doing..I'm the expert at procrastination!!!lol Good luck with the jobxxxxx
Thanks everyone for the kind words about hubby's jobxxxxxx
Well TOM finally arrived, only 17 days late...sigh... I must start taking the vitamin thingies I got to help with flushes & mood swings, they upset my tummy but if I take them with my main meal (as directed) I forget, if I take them in the morning they give me the 'runs', sorry TMI.
xxxxxxsharon
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #42  
Proud Army Mom

S/C/G: 319.2/265/160

Height: 5'6"

Well yesterday was NOT a good day! as far as eating went! I told DH we need to get rid of the extra stuff leftover from the BBQ! I put the leftover sausages & hotdogs into the freezer this way when the girls want something quick they can nuke them........and they aren't going to waste! As for the majority of the chip bags that were leftover I had DD#1 take them back to her Nanny job and share them with her kidlets.............However she didn't take the tortilla chips and salsa GRRRRR so last night I heated up some cheese dip with the salsa and ate almost half the bag!!!! grrrrrr.........DH & I are going to clean out the house of junk again! We also have tons of soda left over.......so he is taking that to work to get rid of it..........cuz if its here I WILL drink it!

Nothing spectacular has happened this week other than the fact, I've learned the advantage of not having kidlets in the house!!! LOL DH & I have had fun snuggling etc.....

My poor poodle is almost back to normal.....he is actually more playful and is not bothered anymore by his bottom......so he hasn't needed the cone around his poor head! His meds are almost finished and his ears as well as his bottom are less red and he hasn't been scratching or picking at them!

Well I better get ready for work! I can't wait till this week is over! Even though it has been only 1/2 days it has been draining!

I've been reading every post just have felt blah.....about my own plan lately........so I haven't been commenting on others at the moment..........I need a new motivation......if someone has one laying around could I borrow it??? LOL

OHHH I did locate a pilates DVD that I apparently had for awhile and never knew it! I popped it in yesterday and went through the directions for the "Modified basic mat" LOL and I felt confident that I could do most of it! then this morning woke up with sore abs and arms LOL so I guess even though I didn't "do" the routine.........I know it will work my muscles! will try to do some more of it today!

pray I find some motivation soon!
Bernice
Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #43  

Greetings Chickies!

The visit with my parents went spectacular! Mom (who is 75) has more energy than someone half her age pumped up on caffeine. hehe. We rode bicycles 3 days, shopped at huge malls 2 of the days (oiy! the walking) and then went to some smaller shops. I lost weight while she was here. Of course, TOM is around the corner and yesterday I wanted to eat my left arm (if properly salted).

My parents are both on low sodium diets, so I cooked one night, made sure they had low sodium options for breakfast and lunch. Dad went to my gym 2x while Mom and I bicycled. We did a total of 29 miles over 3 days. Even Mom commented that we had a plethora of big fat squirrels! I swear, they are everywhere.

I dropped off my car at the body shop because it got "keyed" to get the scratch fixed. When I got home, I realized I forgot to get gasoline for the mower. I decided to put the gas can on the back of the bicycle and ride to the station 3 miles away.. hehe. It must have been a sight to see. On the wa, some homeless man yelled at me "You're looking good!" Hey, I'll take any compliment from anyone hehehehe.

Everyone has been busy here!!

Sharon, phew about the job stuff.

Catherine, has the temps there stabilized? Is Himself still melting?

Debbie, I love your new avatar!

GGG, I love your avatar too!

Hugs and Luv to all my lurkers and all the folks I didn't get personals to!!

Ratkity
Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #44  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning Good Morning!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #45  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Rat-The temps are back down. It's only going to be in the 60's today, so his brain is working again.

We're getting a new bathtub today. I'm clearing out to let him handle it. We got approved to have our bathroom made more handicap accessible by the city, so they're paying for an elevated toilet, and this kind of tub door thing to make it easier to get in and out. It's nice that it'd be free, and it's nice that I didn't have to deal with any of the paperwork or mess, it's just hard to admit that I need/will need special treatment. At least it makes himself happy. He loves getting free stuff, and he does fuss over making the house safe for me. He acts like I'm made of glass.
Closed Thread