Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Exclamation Glycemic Index Diet?

Per my thread yesterday, I was considering maybe trying a low glycemic index approach but when I Google it, I get lots of info

Does anyone here do this sort of thing and could give me some pointers on getting started? How have your results been.
On the other side of the coin, have you tried it and had a bad experience?

Thanks in advance!
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I am seeing a doctor and dietican. I am eating mainly "whole" foods. Bu the plan the dietician has set out for me is basically a low glycemic index type of diet. I had a test done to determine my resting metabolic rate. From that the doctor determined the number of calories I should eat each day. I started on January 21st at 300 pounds and I was eating 1750 calories a day. Once I lost 50 pounds I cut back to 1650 calories, not a huge cut, but I am trying to avoid a platue.

With that said here is in a nutshell what I do. I eat between 30-45 carbs (or 2-3 carb units) per meal and I balance those carbs with protien. I can have more protien, as long as I stay in my calorie range, but I must have a protien unit for each carb unit. A protien unit is 7 grams of protien.

I do not have to count all my carbs. Just basically those from grains, starchy veggies (like corn and potatoes) and fruit. There are some fruits that although I count the carbs, they don't have to be balanced with protien because they are a low glycemic index. A couple of things that come to mind are cherries, berries and apples. It really isn't as difficult as it my sound.

If you wish you my PM and I will scan some of the info I have and email it to you.

I will say that eating this way I have more energy, I do not ge tired in the middle of the day, I do not feel snacky or have cravings.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #3  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

If you are considering a low glycemic diet, please read about not only glycemic index but glycemic load. If you google both phrases then you should get enough information to help you have a more clear understanding. The glycemic index itself was created as a tool for researchers, so there are many misconceptions about the numbers. Just because something has a higher glycemic index number, does not make it a bad food, or even a high glycemic load food.
"Reader's Digest" version...the researchers used whatever amount of a certain food item that would give 100 grams of carbohydrate to then evaluate and place it on the glycemic index. The glycemic load number is more important for dietary/personal use. The glycemic load is a number that corelates with a "normal" amount eaten in a serving of each food.
Examle---M&M's have a low glycemic index, carrots have a high glycemic index. Which do you think would be a healthier choice? The M&M's have a high glycemic load and carrots a low glycemic load.
There is a lot of helpful information out there, but weigh it based upon it's source.
Karla
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #4  

Hmm. that's confusing. I'm going to the grocery store today and I'm still not sure what to get.

We also eat out on thursdays but I guess that's no-go now.LOL
Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #5  
Beach Bum

By the way...I do a South Beach Diet way of eating. I do however eat ALL fruits and most veggies. I still avoid white potatoes, except on rare occasion. I also am still learning and developing a consistent exercise program that I think is essential and it makes me feel powerful, like something I can control. South Beach Diet principles are based somewhat on glycemic index and a whole foods approach. There is a great forum here on South Beach Diet. Even if you don't want to do SBD, you might enjoy many of the recipes from that forum.
Best wishes,
Karla
Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #6  
Beach Bum

Eating out is fine. Just be careful to make good food choices. We eat out 1-2 times each week. I tend to choose a non-breaded meat, substitute any potato option for grilled/steamed etc, veggies and a salad. I can find good food choices on most menus.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #7  

I'm confused. So much info, blargh.
On SBD/Phase 1 you can't have any fruit and even on phase 2, it's just a few dried pieces but on glycemic, they encourage most fruits.

This is getting really complicated really fast. I may have to consider something else that's not so confusing.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #8  
Beach Bum

That is a misconception about South Beach Diet. Fruits are allowed on phase 2. Fresh fruits are best, not dried, although dried can be used if there are no added sugars. SBD gets confused with Atkins. SBD is all about GOOD carbs and GOOD fats. NOT low carb at all. Carbs are allowed even in phase 1 in the form of beans and dairy products.
It is true on phase 1, which lasts 2 weeks, that no fruit is allowed. This is supposed to help knock out carb cravings.
Some people can not do phase 1 but can start right up with phase 2.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #9  

I'll poke around some more.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I need to correct myself. My "diet" (I usually don't use the "D" word) is based on Glycemic Load not Glycemic Index.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 310/281.5/279 (10%)

Height: 5' 1"

Default Low GI Eating

Hi Heather,

This is my first post at 3FC, though I've been lurking a while.

I started eating low gi on 5/31. I don't count carbs or fat grams, and I wasn't even too worried about calories in the beginning. I do sort of tally each day to get a rough estimate of calories, because I realized I wasn't eating nearly ENOUGH calories and I feared a slowing metabolism.

A good primer of low gi eating is The GI Diet by Rick Gallop. It's very basic info, but it's good basic stuff and not confusing at all. I got it from my library first (a couple of days after I'd already started eating low gi, going by info online) and then from half.com for a song.

There isn't really informtion about glycemic load in the book, just the gi numbers, but common sense can help you out there.

If a carrot's GI number is similar to something like a small package of M&M's number, the key to figuring out which is best for you to eat (and that's obvious in this case) is how many carbs you get. THe GI numbers were based on 50 grams of carbs. You'd eat an awful lot of carrots to get 50 grams of carbs. So the effect on blood sugar from carrots is much, MUCH smaller than the effect on M&M's (many more carbs per serving) even though the GI numbers aren't that far apart. There are other factors involved, but that one's key.

If you want to know the glycemic load of a food, look it up at nutritiondata.com I think that site's valuable for the numbers alone. I have trouble taking nutrition advice from any site that warns the reader that a large portion of the calories in celery come from sugars. For just GI numbers, glycemixindex.com is helpful. Though you've probably found both of those while searching online. Rick Gallop's site is gidiet.com But aside from some recipes and very basic information, it's really more an advertisement for his books than it is a good resource, IMO, of course.

Low gi eating stresses fruits, vegetables, certain lower gi whole grains like oatmeal, lowfat dairy, lean animal protein and beans. Make half your meal veggies, about a quarter some low gi carb, and about a quarter lean protein. He also recommends 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Sometimes I have a hard time getting all those in.

Living the GI Diet also by Rick Gallop has a lot of recipes (some of which are great, and at least one I've tried so far that went directly into the trash). Susan Woodruff--I think that's her name--has a couple good low-carb/good-carb books--The Good Carb Cookbook and Secrets of Low-Carb/Good-Carb Living.

And I under the New Glucose Revolution series of books cover the same low gi ground, but I haven't read those. I may, though.

I only have to feed myself and my daughter, who just turned 12 two weeks ago, and we've always been big fruit and veggie eaters, we just ate poorly aside from that--lots of fast food and convenience foods when I'd get home from work.

We haven't eaten a pre-packaged anything during the month of June, aside from a couple veggie/portobello mushroom burgers and meatless chik'n nuggets that she really wanted to try. I haven't had fast food all month, no junk food, very few processed foods, and then only in small amounts.

And I haven't had chocolate in a month--I haven't wanted it! And I was used to that afternoon Snickers bar from the break room vending machine. Sometimes a snack cake/chips/god knows what else. After about 2 days, the cravings and urges I'd often chalked up to depression, emotional eating, etc. were just gone. My soon-to-be-ex upset me highly last night--before I would have turned to food. Last night, it didn't cross my mind. I thought I was a compulsive overeater/food addict, but now that my blood sugar has stabilized, sometimes I even forget to eat until my stomach growls and hurts to remind me. It's very freeing. I can't recommend it enough. I know one approach can't work for everyone, but oh my gosh it's worth a try.

I've really only been eatingn this way a month, and I've dropped 12 pounds. I also find that the mood swings which were pretty regular before are gone. I don't feel jittery and tense by 5 pm, and I don't feel like napping right after I eat! Overall, my entire being has improved.

I know it's only been a month, but never before has a month passed with me remaining this optimistic, while not starving or being miserable in some other diet-related way. I feel like a cheerleader for low gi eating, and I'm sure I still have tons to learn myself. I don't even consider us on a 'diet,' we're actually just eating healthy, period. Which is why I know I can do this--this is how we eat now, the basis of a lifelong dietary plan.

Do go for it. If I can answer any questions, I'm happy to.

I wanted to put my pretty little trackers here, but I'm new so it won't let me.
amtooround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #12  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Come on over and join us in the SUGAR SHAKERS forum . . . at the moment it is still mostly about Sugar Busters which is probably the oldest GI/GL plan out there but we are in the process of expanding it to handle all the GI/GL plans (other than South Beach which has its own forum) . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62 . . . tomorrow I hope to get started on a series of reviews of the numerous plans I've read about.

BTW, my own plan incorporates lots of the principles that run through all of the GI/GL plans . . . good carbs (meaning lower GI for various reasons), balanced with good fats and proteins. I couple those principles with the principles of Volumetrics (how to get the most healthy food for your calorie buck). The combination is working well for me, although slowly in that I've now lost almost 70 pounds and significantly reduced a lot of my Diabetes medications as well.

Good Luck on your journey . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote