Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #1  

Default Desperate...need advice

I am new at this so I apologize now for any spelling/editing errors. I am 36 years old and have struggled with my weight most of my life. I have been training since last march to participate in the sprint triatlons. I participated in my first one in August, my weight was still very high, 225 pounds and I am 5 ' 5. A year later and I am still fighting the 220's. I work out religously 5 days a week. Tue - Thur 1 hour weights and 30 minutes cardio. Mon - Wed. 45 minutes of hard cardio(spin). One day swimming. I purchased a heart monitor that will tell me when I am slacking. I visited a nutritionist and found that I was on track for the most part. I consume between 1,300-1, 500 calories. I really don't know what to do at this point. I am extremly frustrated. I was so angry that I decided to add addtional weight in my weight training class, if I was going to stay fat I will at least be strong. I know some of this has to be muscle weight... I am writing this in hopes that someone has had a similar situation and can guide or offer a suggestion. My next triathlon is in april... Again, I will probably be the largest women and my times will suffer because I continue to carry this very large stomach around.
girlybooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #2  

I'm not an expert but I think you need to take in more calories. You seem to be exercising a lot and doing a lot of weight training and your body may just need more calories to keep up. I know that when I was working out for 1 1/2 hours per day, my body didn't seem to want to lose any weight. I've lowered it a bit to a little less than an hour and my body seems to be responding. It does suprise me that you haven't lost anything though. Good for you for sticking with it while seeing no results. I probably would have given up by now. I can't wait to see what others have to say.

Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #3  

Thanks Amber, at times I don't know if I want to cry or toss my scale out the window. I only weigh once or twice everyother week. I do feel healthly. I think that is keeps me going. I will increase my calories a bit and see if it produces any results.

Sheila
Old 03-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

I agree with Amber, Sheila. You definitely need more calories.
The doctor/dietitian/trainer-supervised program I'm on has me eating 1700-200 calories a day in order to lose 1-3 pounds a week. I'm 216 pounds, and am 5'-2". Eat more, hon, and good luck!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #5  

Your awesome...I promise to give this a try. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Have you ever been tested for insulin resistance or PCOS? That can slow down weight loss. Here are some signs and symptoms:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17325
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #7  

Thanks, I will check it out!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #8  

Have your thyroid checked too. I really struggle to lose and its a combination of a number of things, but the thyroid contributes the most to the slow down.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

And your metabolism! Get that checked, too!
And if you want to, you could give us an idea of your daily menus, and we can let you know if something looks "wrong".
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #10  

Thanks... all... I have a doctors appointment next friday, the metabolic syndrome sounds pretty convincing...I have had my thyroid checked in the past. I will get back to you when I find out more. I am also re-evaluating my carb intake. It may be to high, I exercise so much that I didn't think I could possible be eating to many. I really need to figure this out. I am so discouraged.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #11  

You're my hero, I really want to try triathlon, once I get my running up to scratch!!

I am in a simialr boat. My weight loss has stalled, and I think its my calorie intake. I have a week off my diet plan every eight weeks. My week off should finish tomorrow, but I have lost a pound for the first time in MONTHS!!!

After your visits to the doctor, depending on what happens, you might want to experiment increasing your calorie intake for a week and see what happens.

I have suspected PCOS too, it's hard to figure all this stuff out!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #12  

It is tough and discouraging. My times on my first two triathlons were very poor because of my run. I really just do a very slow jog. I tell you once you have committed and compeleted your first triathlon your hooked. It's a great sport to cross train. It was a little hard being the marshmellow of the group. Most folks don't consider a 220 pound women an athlete.
I will get back after my doctors visit on the 17th. Hopefully with some anwsers. Thanks for your input....just tri it!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #13  

Default ??? :(

Results are back from the doctor, all tests were normal...this should be a good thing, however I am really struggling...the doctor is now telling me that I will probably have to consume less calories, even with all the exercise he suggests 1,200. I am going to try this for a while and see what happens.

Thanks for all your imput, it was worth a try.

JUST TRI IT!

Sheila
Old 03-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #14  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Sheila, I'm glad all your results came back normal, but I know that must be frustrating for you. Hang in there and let us know how you're doing!

Come join us on the "week of..." thread if you want to chat!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Sheila? How are you tracking your calories?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote