What's for Thanksgiving dinner?

• Hi, Thanksgiving is just around the corner. What is on your menu? We are going to my husbands parents house, they are cooking, but we are looking to make 4 dishes, and desserts (I am not a dessert person, so it is not my weakness )I am looking for ideas. Recipes are welcome!
  • Canadian Thanksgiving is in October so it is already long past for us.

My husband's father and step-mother did dinner. It was curry, very non-traditional I don't eat curry though so they made grilled chicken breasts for myself and one other person who also didn't do curry.

So I didn't eat much, but I drank that night like there was no tomorrow, ugh. Weakness: Desserts and alcohol. ESPECIALLY the alcohol, haha.
  • This year I will be cooking at my house. Yikes! Here are some dishes that are a big hit around my family. Sweet Potatoes yum,

Sweet Potatoes,

Get 6 good size sweet potatoes
    Brown Sugar
    Butter (1 Stick)

Peel the potatoes and slice them, put them into a baking dish
    Pour the brown sugar on top about a cup or less
    Cut butter into pats and put on top.
    Put in oven at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes or until they are soft.

This is not a great Diet recipie but they are so good.

I have been looking online for a great dessert and I have been seeing Pumpkin Cheesecakes I think I might try making one for Thanksgiving. If you need more I will try to think of some!
  • Raine, I never tried curry, and yes non traditional. It is great they made something extra for you and the other guest. Sounds like you had a great time!

khumphrey, my mom use to make that. It was really good, and yes, not for someone on a diet. LOL It is funny you bring that up. I am making a Pumpkin Cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I have a subscription to Food Network magazine, and they have a recipe in there. It looks awesome!
  • I have no idea ... we're going to MIL's.

However, MIL is a good cook, and likes to cook healthy. I am hoping she'll let me make cornbread and sage stuffing, though. That's my favorite thing on Thanksgiving.
  • Quote: This year I will be cooking at my house. Yikes! Here are some dishes that are a big hit around my family. Sweet Potatoes yum,

Sweet Potatoes,

Get 6 good size sweet potatoes
    Brown Sugar
    Butter (1 Stick)

Peel the potatoes and slice them, put them into a baking dish
    Pour the brown sugar on top about a cup or less
    Cut butter into pats and put on top.
    Put in oven at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes or until they are soft.

This is not a great Diet recipie but they are so good.

I have been looking online for a great dessert and I have been seeing Pumpkin Cheesecakes I think I might try making one for Thanksgiving. If you need more I will try to think of some!
    This isn't a traditional cheesecake, but I made it last year and it was a big hit LINK

I was contemplating trying these this year.
  • Quote: This isn't a traditional cheesecake, but I made it last year and it was a big hit LINK

I was contemplating trying these this year.
    Those both look so good! I am making desserts for Thanksgiving this year and was trying to find some healthier options that wouldn't disappoint the non-dieting group. The cupcakes might be perfect!
  • Hi all,

I too am trekking north to my in-laws. I am going to make a dessert (this one as I am on South Beach and can make these cupcakes the night before) and make some sweet potatoes (or ask to!). I will have turkey and veggie sides. Should be a-ok!