Old 05-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #1  
Because I Can

Height: 5'6"

Default What are some of your favorite weight lifting exercises?

I recently switched to low-cardio heavy-weight workouts. Are there any others like me out there? If so, what are some of your favorie moves? One that I just learned is called a sissy squat. It rips your quads and I love it!
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #2  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I like lat pull downs and bent over rows (works that "bra overhang" muscle), and anything to work the triceps (kick backs, dips, over head presses). For legs, I like jumping squats, sumo squats and plyo-jumps.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #3  
Because I Can

Pix, did you read that article I sent to you? I was curious what you thought of it.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #4  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Oh! Yes, Mel I did! Shoot - sometimes I think I respond to things...and I did't.

Makes sense. You can't burn fuel your body doesn't have. If you are going to work out hard (even with weights) you need fuel so you body doesn't eat the muscle. THAT I agree with.

Muscle burns more calories than fat. THAT I agree with.

All the myths (low carbs, dont eat after 7pm) those I agree are bunk.

The only thing I take exception to is that this is applicable to my stage of weight loss. I have TONS of extra right now - unlike the woman in the example who was working on that last 10lbs.

That being said - my program involves 2 days of weights (high reps, killer moves, heavy as I can take the weights) and 3 days of running per week. I'm a running junkie (so right there, unwilling to stop the intense cardio). So far...(fingers crossed)...upping my calories and zig-zagging has done the trick to get things going again.

I say - whatever works. I'm a firm believer that 2/3 of this is in our heads anyhow. You do what works for you in your brain!!
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #5  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

After my race on Sunday, I will go back to a more strength building exercise routine. I love squats/lunges. I'm working on getting my soccer legs back.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #6  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

My favorite weight-lifting exercise is bench press, flies, and pull overs on a stability ball.

You put your sholders on the ball, feet on the floor and body flat like a table (See attached pic...not of me of course ). I use 8-10 pounds. I do 16 bench press, then 16 chest flies, then 16 pull-overs...then 8 of each, then 2 sets of 4 of each. No rest between sets and keep your body flat like a table the whole time.

You not only work your chest and arms, you also get a killer core and butt workout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Benchpress.jpg (2.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by AFChick; 05-11-2010 at 09:30 AM.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Weight training is difficult for me cause I find it boring. I do like squats and lunges, but REALLY need to get into the upper body. I have very little strenght there. The difficulty comes in w/ not having a gym membership. So it's dumbbells and imagination for me. I DO however find kettlebells fun. Cardio and weighttraining all at once.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #8  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I've always hated lunges, so I used to make myself do them constantly. I always say that we should do the exercises we hate because those are usually the ones we need the most! (A general rule of thumb, obviously.)

I like the ones I'm good at or I feel powerful when I do - squats and bench press. Physically seeing yourself move big weights is such a rush. "Me? Did I do that? Little 5'1" me?"

I also like the ones that form muscles I can see easily - lat rows and shoulder flys.

Combos or supersets are good for changing things up, but I always feel like I am not giving each exercise its due focus. The one that starts the set always gets more "attention." I do like to group exercises together, though. Start with the power moves (bench press or squat) that encompass a large muscle group and then drill down into each component muscle (shoulders, tri-ceps). Then do plio or weight based resistance training for final fatigue. Ball pushups (or ball plio pushups depending on level), rolling yourself backwards as you fatigue so that eventually you can barely hold yourself up. If done at the end of the workout, it doesn't take many. Almost bloodied my nose once. That was a cool battle "scar."
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/206/145

I workout with hubby on Saturdays and we hit the weights hard.

I have 3 faves-21's for my bi's, rope pull down for my tri's and the cable side extension for my obliques.

I feel so hard core after doing those.

GRRRRRR!
KiKi in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 AM   #10  
Because I Can

Beach, I actually used something you said tonight at the gym. I wanted to swap out my chest press machine exercises for push ups. Why? Becasue I HATE to do pushups so I must need to do them more. Also, gotta love a chick who's into battle scars.

Kiki, I love that enpowered feeling of lifting weights too.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 246/206/145

MelO,

I enjoy the "pain" afterwards. It let's me know that I hit them hard.

Besides, it feels good to get those glances from the other ladies in the gym.

Wondering, how the heck is this overweight woman able to do those exercises.
KiKi in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #12  
Because I Can

LOL Kiki, I know what you mean. I like it when the young guys who think they know what they're doing look at me like I don't belong but the "guys" area. Then I do stuff they have only seen pictures of in magazines. Pretty cool. I seriously smile at them like, "yeah and?" Congrats on dropping 40#s. That's awesome!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #13  
Because I Can

So, I have to do abs. I try to mix it up to see what really makes my abs scream, but have yet to find something. Anyone have any suggestions for some smokin hot abs?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #14  
Alberta Gal

S/C/G: 154.2/151.2/125.0

Height: 5' 3"

Default Kettlebells

I'm loving my kettlebell video. Just say no to the gym. Say yes to the Home Gym
HalfPint71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #15  
Because I Can

Wow, halfpint! 56#s?!? That's awesome!!!