Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'2"

Default brand new to site

Hello all,
I am brand new to this site, and I am feeling my way around at this point. I am 34 yr. old wife and mom. I have two little boys 6 and 3, and my hubby is in the Navy. I am a teacher. I am home for the summer, and Iam at my breaking point. I weighed in after a vacation at 200 pounds. I don't know what plan to follow, but I need support like nobody's business. I have done WW before but never stayed with it. I also have the 6week body makeover, which I know shows results, but it is pretty involved. I would love to hear from anyone that can give me some direction.
Thanks.
Heather
heath13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi Heather! Read your way around the site, there's a lot of plans out there!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #3  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Welcome!

Hi Heather, Welcome to 3FC! This is a place that you will find more support and different ideas than you ever imagined possible from a "diet" support site.

I have found that there are so many great ideas from people and then there are great things like recipes, workout schedules and one of my favorites...Challenges! Challenges really make you feel like you are accomplishing your short term goals in spurts, I find it really helps me.

As for a plan, it really has to be something that you know you can stick with and sometimes in the beginning it's just about making subtle changes like exercising more (and sticking with it even when you don't want to) and making healthier food choices. If the plan you choose is too restrictive and it doesn't work in your family dynamic (like if you're always cooking two meals for dinner) it can make it much harder to follow. My family eats the same foods I do only in little higher quantities and with a few easy exchanges (they get regular salad dressing/sour cream/mayo/etc., they may have rice and corn and veggies with a meal while I get just the veggies and corn (my starch). I also log every single thing that passes my lips into my plan's nutritional tracker as well as my water and activity.

It's more about changing the way you live and eat than the dreaded "D" word. You have to want to be healthier and make better choices that you can live with for the rest of your life. Diets fail because people see them as short term fixes and once they lose the weight they can go back to McD's and Taco Bell. Not so! You have to change the way you think of food and always think about the quantity and quality of food. And Exercise! ! ! Moving raises your metabolism and will continue to help you burn food even when resting.

There are a lot of people on this site that have been hugely successful with their weight loss and maintenance. I go and look at their photos and stories on a regular basis for inspiration. They have changed their lives and will be much happier and healthier for it. You can solicit information from everyone and everyone thinks the plan that is working for them is "the one", but in truth it has to be something you enjoy, something that works for you, something that makes you feel like you're eating and enjoying your food without deprivation and something that works with YOUR life. All the information you could want is here at your disposal so pick and choose and find something that will make you healthy and happy!

Cheers, Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #4  
Yes, I can! Yes, I am!

S/C/G: 182/152/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi Heather! Welcome I agree with Tamara above and would only add that for me, South Beach has been the most livable. It uses everyday, grocery store items. You don't have to count calories and it really limits sugars (which I DEFINITELY need!) and best of all, it is really more common sense than a "plan" -which works for me. I think that I can make this a lifestyle versus a "diet" and I've even got my family eating better! Good Luck with whatever you decide and know that we are all truly in this together!
LilMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

welcome...join us on our daily chat if you want. I would recommend finding something that works for you. Remember this isn't a diet but a life style chage. I personally love to calorie count that way i can occasionally have chocolate or sweets...but everyone is different. Find what works for you. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #6  

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I am not sure what direction I am going to take but looking to make some lifestyle changes.
Gatorgal-noticed your a Fl. girl in GA. I am in Fl. as well only a couple of hours from Savannah. Always nice to see some southern gals.

Heather
Old 06-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 264/149.4/140

Height: 5'8

Welcome!
Just wanted to say while you are figuring out which plan to follow take baby steps. The best thing to do is eat lots of fruits and veggies. They are low in calories and will fill you up not out. Also you improve your health by eating better. It will give you more energy for the kids too! (just watch the calories in some salad dressings and toppings).
We have a current mini goal for July 4th and next will be a Labor Day mini goal. Feel free to join in!
take care!
Laura
highest ever-313
current 264
loganandlivsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 201.5/188/180

Height: 5'6"

Heather - welcome! I am also new. I love this site!!! It is a lifesaver for me. Tamara gave you some great advice! I am currently doing WW because I am still nursing my baby and I need to make sure that I can continue for a few more months. WW takes into account what I need to do that - so that is working for me right now. Let me add that I have tried doing it in the past and failed several times - but this time it is working (13.5 pounds since May) and I think the difference for me right now is that I am willing to do all that I have to in order to lose this weight. Before I just wanted to lose weight - but didnt want to make the changes, know what I mean? ANYWAYS - my highest weight was 201.5 so we are very similar in where we are going with our weight loss goals.
The mini goals are a lifesaver for me - so much easier than looking at the "big" picture of the total amount of weight I need to lose. Challenges are the next thing that I want to get involved in here. Also - I just started a weight loss blog and that is keeping me on track too. My favorite part of that is getting to read other people's success stories - that keeps me motivated as well.
Good luck with choosing the right plan for you!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
OH Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #9  

Laura
thanks for the invite. I think I will check out the July 4th thread! Any loss is a plus in my book.
Heather