South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/176/155

Height: 5'8"

Default Stevia

I have been using Stevia for a couple of years and really don't want to use the other artificial sweeteners. SBD does not endorse Stevia and I was wondering if the only reason for that is because it is not approved by the FDA. Are there any other reasons that I am not aware of. Do others use Stevia on the SBD with success?
Donise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #2  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Dr. Agatson sez...

Quote:
While not artificial, stevia has developed a large following among the natural food crowd as a natural sugar alternative that doesn't affect blood glucose levels. Stevia comes from a South American shrub and is used extensively in candy making in Japan and Brazil, yet is not approved as a food additive by the FDA. You'll find it sold as a dietary supplement in health food stores in liquid and powder form.
from
http://www.southbeachdiet.com/askdr/qa34.asp
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Donise, as far as I know, the only reason that Dr. A doesn't endorse or recommend Stevia is because it wasn't officially approved by the FDA during the publishing of his books. However, it has now been approved (as far as I know) and is showing up in many products and even in the sugar/baking aisles at the grocery store. Though every person has to decide for themselves whether they feel safe using each kind of sweetener, there are many of us (including me) who use it and find it a benefit on SBD. I see no reason why you'd have to change your habits of using it while on SBD unless you find that it causes cravings. Some of our members have chosen to avoid all sweeteners of any kind because they cause cravings for them. Otherwise, using Stevia (or erythritol, xylitol, or agave nectar in moderation) should be fine.

Thanks for the great quote, Weeble!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #4  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Donise, we use Stevia in tea...I don't like sweet tea so I don't use it...but others in my house do...
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #5  
Be happy.

I use Stevia, too.
Not for baking, but in beverages and on my oatmeal.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #6  

I really want to try Stevia as i'm a bit put off by switching to artificial products, has anyone recently converted and can give me an idea of taste?
meelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

its supposed to have a black licorice after taste
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #8  
Be happy.

I've never really noticed much of an after taste.... or maybe I did at first and don't remember now. We started using it years ago when a good friend got hooked on it and gave us a bag.

The biggest thing I notice is that you have to stir it well to get it to dissolve. I have no problems, but when my DH fixes my morning tea for me I almost always end up with some sticky sludge in the bottom of the mug.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Stevia itself does have a licorice aftertaste. The producers know this and have worked to pull out the sweet parts of the plant while leaving behind the aftertaste. I've used several different Stevia products (NuStevia, Sweetleaf , Truvia--which is mostly erythritol, liquid vanilla stevia from NuNaturals, and NuNatural's MoreFiber, of which I'm especially fond), and most of them have been free from aftertaste. Personally, my favorite products come from NuNaturals. Though it took some time for me to get totally used to the flavor, I really love their vanilla-flavored liquid stevia. It is delicious in coffee and tea and you need so little of it that a bottle lasts months and months.

I think lots of things have an aftertaste, but your ability to notice it changes based on what other things you are eating. Long before I started SBD, I tried some cheesecake made with Splenda and thought it had a bad aftertaste. After several months on SBD, I tried the same cheesecake again and loved it (not noticing any aftertaste). I've found the same thing with other items: I used to think broccoli was bitter, but after months on SBD, I found it very sweet! So try it out, Meelsie, and see what you think.

Heidi, I've found that the liquid stevia is really great for adding stevia to coffee and tea because there are no dissolving problems.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #10  
Be happy.

That's good to know, thank you.

I've never seen the liquid but I've never really looked for it either. We used to use the bulk bagged stuff from a health food store near my son's home but now use Trader Darwin. It's the only brand available in our small grocery store, but I can look for the liquid when I visit my son in "the city".
Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #11  
My goal = health

I also find the aftertaste a little bitter. I do use it in ice teas exclusively.
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #12  

i use stevia. didn't know it was not on the SBD.
dsigngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It may be officially OK now that it has been approved by the FDA as an additive. I have used it and agree that the aftertaste is off putting.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote