Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile #224 Bale of Turtles Scaring Up A Weight Loss!

We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #2  
Chick

Hi Turtles, This weekend was tough for me and I may see a gain at the scale this week. The food for the party was yummy, but I also overate on Sunday as well. Ugh. Well, today has been a low point day even though I ate out twice. At Applebee's I had a WW dinner and at Dunkin' Donuts (I had had a bone density scan and was starving!) I had a healthy eggwhite scramble on flatbread. That pointed out to 6 points, and I'm not sure I'd get another one, but if you figure that was brunch for me, it wasn't too many points. Now I'm home for the evening and I'll work on drinking water and staying away from food. Wish me well!

Here's to to all of us now that the holiday season is almost officially started with Halloween just a few days away. I'm stocked with pretzel bags for the trick-or-treaters and that won't tempt me. We get over 130 kids each year and with Halloween being on a Saturday, we may get even more children. Wow!

Okay, Ladies/Turtles let's do this!
Love, Judy
234.6/?/190
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles:

Judy - good luck this week at the scale. Hopefully, you will be fine.

For Halloween so far I haVe bought uneatable things to go with the regular treats I haven't bought yet. Too tempting - I will pick up candy Sat a.m.
I get about 100 kids - and then I am heading to dance, so that should be fun.
Dressing up as a 50's gal!

Hope all you other turtles are having a good OP day!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #4  

Good morning Turtles. It is cold here just getting into the 50's but we are warm inside. The kids were getting over their colds but with this nasty weather they are still coughing off and on.

Well weigh in today and i am at 241.2 down from i think it was 243 so that is good. And on Wii Fit Plus today my Piggy Bank that keeps track of time spent and calories turned Gold because i have excersized a total of 10 hours since we bought it on October 14th i think it was.

Judy- Just keep on keepin on. Hopefully the scale will be kind.

Bandit- I know candy can be tempting. Just keep putting it off.

Hello to MsMeri, Princess, and LinS
If i forgot anyone so sorry
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #5  

Cherry - that is a fabulous weight loss & kudos on the excercise. That's the way to do it!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #6  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Judy, you may do better than you think, since you reported a couple of really low point days on the last thread. You might consider trying to eat around the same number of points each day. I've noticed that you tend to try to eat really low, but then compensate by overeating on other days. It may all balance out in the end, but you might be able to avoid the emotional roller coaster by staying more consistent from day to day. It's just an observation and a thought. Only you can figure out if there's merit in it.

Bandit, I hope you have a great time at the dance. Sounds like fun. I hope those leaves you raked give you a good result at the scale. It makes all that work pay off just a little bit more.

Nice to have you posting more, Cherry. Super loss for you. Way to go with the exercise, too. You're doing great!!

I'm doing just fine this week. I've noticed that weekends seem to be a challenge, which is why I set my weigh in day as Friday. Then I have maximum weekly points to use for all the weirdness that I face on Saturday and Sunday. Then the rest of the week is usually pretty easy.

Halloween won't be a problem for me. No candy in the house because we're not going to be home. We're cooking dinner at the San Jose Family Shelter. It will be so much fun! Our church signs up for the 5th week in those 4 months that have 5 weeks and I've been able to help out a couple of times. I look forward to it. Paul's not the fanatical cook I am, but he enjoys helping out, too.

Wasn't one of you planning to do NaNoWriMo this year? Did you sign up? I signed up and an idea has been keeping my brain busy. I don't know if I'll finish. Life often gets in the way. I won once when we lived in Salinas and I didn't have very much else to do. But, I'm going to try to schedule specific times to write each day and we'll see if I can reach that 50K goal.

Keep on turtlin'!
Lin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #7  
Chick

Cherry, Weigh to go! Great reaching a great level on Wii and congrats and and on weight loss. You can do this!

Lin, lots of good ideas---yeah, I'm getting in a bad habit of overeating on weekends and compensating by undereating on Monday and Tuesday. I'm almost doing the "wendie" plan. LOL, but it's not funny if I mess up my weight loss. Thanks for the tips.

Bandit, have a ball at the dance. Going as a 50's gal is so perfect----it's a costume but you won't look gory and you'll look so cute! Yay.

All goes well here today. Spending some nice time with my dh and then getting some things done as well. Lin, I'm the one thinking of signing up for Nanowrimo. Maybe I'll head to that site now and sign up. Then I can learn more about it. I don't see how I can possibly add that to what I'm doing, but WW's says what you think you bring about, so if I think I can commit to writing each day, then I will.

Good luck to us all. Turtles keep on turtlin' along!
Judy
234.6/?/190
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #8  

Morning, turtles:]

Lin/Judy - weekends have always been a challenge for me as well. I find if I can stay on track & get in my exercise during the week, I still will lose weight
even with some "extras's" on the weekend. My extra is usually drinks with snacks.

Princess - where are you?

Cherry - hang in there - you are doing great!

As for myself, I got in 30 laps of walking last night then hot-tub and quick swim. Have my weigh in tonight & hoping to be down at least 1#
But sometimes results are not what we hope for. But I have pretty much stayed on track this week, so here's hoping!

Have a great "turtle day" everyone!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #9  
Turtle wanna be

S/C/G: 302/240/170

Height: 5.4"

Wink Followed the bread crumbs

The idea that you need to drink 8 glasses a day is a myth, right? Although the amount of water you should consume varies from person to person, there are a lot of reasons to make sure you're getting enough. If you're looking for a few, a new study confirms that water drinkers tend to have better diets.

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, used data from a government health survey of 12,000 Americans to make their conclusions. Researchers found that "people who drank more "plain water" tended to eat more fiber, less sugar and fewer calorie-dense foods," versus those who got their fluids from other beverages (such as soda, juice, milk, etc.) This doesn't mean that drinking water made them healthier eaters. But it does show a relationship between drinking water and a healthy diet.

Drinking water in place of higher calorie beverages can also help with weight loss and weight management. Looking for an easy way to lose over 14 pounds this year? Instead of having your daily Coke with lunch, try a glass of water instead. You'll save 140 calories per can, which really adds up over time. Drinking water is also important as you increase your level of physical activity, can help you feel fuller throughout the day, and is a simple goal you can set for yourself. Staring with simple goals can help you build momentum to reach bigger goals when adopting a healthy lifestyle.

msmeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #10  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hey, folks are doing great here! So good to see.

Lin, I didn't know you won NNWM in years past. Congratulations! What does it mean to "win"? Does it mean you wrote the most? Or other participants liked your story the best? Or ...?

I'm suddenly really wondering if I should sign up for this. We're going to be gone for a week during the month, so I doubt I'd hit the goal. But I really like the idea of something making me write every day. Hmmm.

Have lost a few more pounds of vacation fluff since I last posted; just 3 more to go. Hope to get those off before Thanksgiving, when I will no doubt gain some back. Sheesh! (We'll be at my dad's house for almost a week.) Well, at least I am learning how to maintain, and that's never a bad thing. I'm learning about turning around gains before they become permanent, too, which is also good.

We had a little incident with a deer while driving home the other night. It ran onto the road and slammed into the side of our car. So yes, it hit US, we didn't hit IT. Very startling, to say the least. Michigan is #2 in the country in deer accidents, interestingly enough. Anyway, we were fine, but the car needs about $1200 worth of work. Unfortunately, we have a $1000 deductible, so there goes that money. When I heard that, I no longer felt sorry for the stupid deer.

Anyway! Have been having good eating days since the last time I posted, which has been good. Don't know what that was all about.

Must run; have a great, OP day, everyone. We're worth it!
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #11  
Turtle Buddy

Lauren, I'm on my way out the door, but I thought I'd answer your NaNo question. Winning means writing the whole 50K (or more) words in a month. The basic rules are that you can do any prep for the novel before Nov. 1, but you can't start the actual writing until 11/1. Being gone doesn't mean you can't win. It really only takes an hour or two to bang out the 1667 words per day it takes to reach the goal and if you have a laptop, you can take it with you. Even if you don't make 50K, it's still a blast.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #12  
Chick

Lauren, : weigh to go! for losing some more of those pounds. Your weight on your ticker scale is fabulous! Hey, why don't you sign up for NaNoWriMo? It could be a blast. I'm going to give it a shot.

Bandit, how did you make out at your WI? You're sounding determined again.

I chickened out and didn't WI yesterday. I was up a tiny bit and I really don't want to see gains on my tracker. Silly, but that's how I feel right now. My challenge this week will be to stay tight on program to lose weight and not take this week as a laid-back week to stay the same. I need determination and a bit more exercise. (Dopey stuff like having a cyst removed and not wanting to pop the stitches, and then before this I had hurt my elbow, etc. etc) so my October calendar is not loaded with exercise stickers the way my September calendar is. However, did I tell you that my blood work came back so much better than in March? All numbers are lower except my HDL which is higher. Yay! I still have weight to lose and I still am at risk and can't sit on my laurels (or fanny) and say I did it, I'm done! But it is encouraging to eat better, exercise more and have the results be concrete and better with the blood test results.

Okay, gotta run and get some stuff done before dh wakes up.
Judy
Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #13  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Judy, it's so that you signed up for NaNo. NaNo isn't hard if you don't think of it as 50,000 words. If you think of it as "average 1667 words each day", it becomes more manageable because your mind can cope with the smaller number. It doesn't seem as impossible. That's kind of like we have a lot of weight to lose. Setting a goal of 5, 10, 20 pounds makes it doable. Setting a goal of 100+ seems impossible. You can do it.

Ms. Meri, thanks for the info on water. That's one of the habits I don't even think about. It's nice to have one thing that's easy. But, how are you doing?

Bandit, way to go with your exercise. You're really showing determination these days. I'm looking forward to cheering the results!

Lauren, you travel often, so learning to get back to your regular routine quickly when you get home, getting those vacation pounds back off, and maintaining are important things for you. I'm sure your determination to keep on to your ultimate goal will get you there.

Go ahead, sign up for NaNo. Start on Sunday. If it works out that you don't make 50K, so what? You'll have had a great time trying and you will have reconnected with your "inner fiction writer". The key to writing 50K, along with setting smaller goals, is to give yourself permission to write utter garbage. Let whatever words hit the page first stand. And go ahead and write silly stuff as filler while you figure out what the next thing is. Sometimes the silly stuff turns out to be good, useable stuff. If you like the story you end up with, there's always NaNoEdMo (I forget what month that is) to get you motivated to revise/edit the NaNo novel.

I'm doing OK. We took my youngest son to the doctor. Turns out it's a virus-caused throat ulcer and should clear up on its own. But, it was right at dinnertime and they voted for Cheesecake factory. I'm learning how to deal with restaurant meals and noticing where they hide fat. Butter on the hamburger bun to make it crispy when they toast it. I'd be happy with it not toasted and without butter and will ask for it that way next time. I haven't figured out the points, but I think I'm OK because I made good choices overall and was generous with the veggies and frugal with everything else.

Keep on turtlin'!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #14  

Hi turtles:

Lauren - too bad about you deer incident, glad you weren't hurt. Always something to take $$ out of our pockets.

Judy - hoping you get back on track. I know how you feel about the scale being up - really is frustrating. But when you don't want to go is when we need to go the most.

As for myself - I was down 1# this week & was happy with that.
Just to be down is motivating for me. I struggled all summer and really feel back in control finally. I have lots of social things right now, and probably should be just drinking club soda instead of wasting so many points on alcohol. Tonight, I am going to comedy club with the girls & will try doing that.

Hope everyone else is having a good week.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #15  
Chick

Hi, fast chat from me.
Lauren, that deer incident is miserable. Glad you weren't hurt, sorry about the cash.

Bandit, weigh to go! : Being a pound down right now is wonderful. You're in the midst of lots of social things and that's your life. The good part is figuring out how to have fun socially and lose weight. You're doing it!

The overeating I did Sunday night was stress-based and I hate when I do that. I was actually standing up in my kitchen eating out of a container. not smart and not something I want to do. But I did it and now I'm back in control. Someone not too long ago said that on this weight loss journey there will be ups and downs-----vacation, stress, good times and celebrations--that can throw us for a loop. I'm doing the best I can, enjoying less stress than I have had in the past, and am figuring out how to WI or not WI. I always go to my mtg. because I've got good friends there and my leader is great.

Yes, MsMeri, how are you?
Cherry, same.
Princess, we miss you. Come on back.

Judy
234.6/?/190 and deeper into onederland