Old 10-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/156.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Brown paper bag microwave popcorn

Months ago, I read an idea about making plain popcorn in a brown paper bag in the microwave. I believe it was this forum, but have searched and cannot find it. I continue to try and make it, but it's not always successful. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it burns. Can anyone help me? When it works, I put just 1/2 tsp butter on a spoon and stir it into hot popcorn and then add seasoning (a bit of salt and sugar; garlic salt; smoked paprika, etc.) Thanks
Sylvia from NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I don't know how to do a quote, but I copied and pasted this from another thread.

Ladies, let me tell you how I make my popcorn without any fancy gadgets. Just put 1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, fold the top down, run your hand under water and lightly coat the front and back side of the brown paper bag to moisten it. Put it in your microwave and hit the "popcorn" cycle. Stay near by to listen for when it stops popping and remove. My microwave is small and not very powerful, I stop the microwave when it has 30 seconds left and my popcorn comes out beautiful everytime. Do not reuse the bag as it will start to get holes and the next batch will have popcorn all over your microwave. Works like a charm and now you are in control of how much and what you want to put on it. No need for any fancy poppers or bowls. Very inexpensive too. After it is popped, I like to spray with non-fat cooking spray (right in the bag) and make a chocolate popcorn using a mixture of cocoa mix/splenda/hot chocolate mix and also a spicy version using McCormick's Smoky Sweet Pepper Seasoning blend.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/156.5/150

Thank You So Much!!!!
Sylvia from NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

I want to know how that turns out! So cool!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I do it all the time with no issue. Just popcorn kernels and a bag. My husband likes to sprinkle a little water as he thinks it helps them cook better but I can't tell the difference. I don't add anything, I just eat as is.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Like Nelie, I do it frequently. I don't do anything with water. I've just never heard that and it works without it, so.... I think it can burn a little easier than the microwave popcorn in a bag, so I don't usually microwave it as long as the bagged ones. So simple!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I pop popcorn in brown lunch bags (no water) all of the time, and I've never had a problem with it (I've always had really super-cheap low wattage microwaves).

I read in a magazine that it wasn't safe to pop popcorn this way, because the bag could catch fire, but since it had never happened to me, I really didn't think it was a big deal (besides, a fire IN a microwave is pretty easy to contain - just don't open the door until the fire runs out of oxygen and puts itself out).

So anyway, one day I was at my parent's house, showing my mom how to make popcorn this way (in a more expensive, higher wattage microwave) and the bag burst into flames before the popcorn could pop. At least I kept my head, and convinced my mom the fire would put itself out and that we shouldn't try to pull the burning bag from the microwave.

Since the bag fire, I have been a bit more cautious about making popcorn in lunch bags. I still do it, but I stand in front of the microwave, watching the bag the entire time, so if there's any sign of burning I can turn the power off.

I'll have to try dampening the bag before popping, it'll give me a little extra assurance.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote