South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #1  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Have to get a tonsillectomy...need ideas

Doc says I need to have my tonsills removed and not only am I scared to death of the pain during recovery, but have no idea what to do for food. I know for at least a week I'll pretty much only be able to tolerate liquids. Everyone keeps saying "at least you will get to have all the ice cream you want." UGGHHH I think not. Or the other piece of advice I get is "I wouldn't worry about the diet at all...just eat/drink anything you can manage to get down" but umm yeah I am insulin resistant and its not just about "dieting" for me. So my question is does anyone have any suggestions for things that I can drink that would be have enough nutrition to sustain me for a while? I can't drink slim fast or anything like that because of the sugar...and I'm pretty sure things like Ensure are loaded with sugar too. I was thinking of looking into the Glucerna drinks. Does anyone know of any SBD compliant supplement drinks???
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Melissa, I've had my tonsils out (as an adult) and so has my husband. I can tell you, from personal experience, that this is the kind of thing where you HAVE to go off the diet. Just like if you had to have an IV in the hospital, they'd give it to you, even if you were insulin resistant. I totally applaud your view that "this isn't a diet" and feel the same way, but there are times when, for your health, you have to go off plan. So here's what I'd suggest:

1. Try to stick to foods that are less likely to make your blood sugar spike (i.e. meat broth instead of fruit juice) if you can, but be prepared that you may be unable to do so.
2. Remember that sugar "coats" your throat and you may find that you really need it if the pain gets bad.
3. When I had my tonsils out, the pain was bad enough that I didn't want to drink or eat. Because I resisted so much (and DH was too sweet to force me), I almost ended up back in the hospital due to dehydration. My lack of drinking also just made it hurt more. So don't refrain from eating/drinking just because it's not on plan.
4. Don't expect to eat solids for at least a week, and more like 2 weeks, if you're like the rest of us. Plan to go back on Phase 1 when you are WELL and not before.
5. Stock the pantry with foods that are SBD-safe but also allowed under your doctor's orders. Things like unsweetened applesauce, cottage cheese, etc could work.

Be gentle with yourself. Yes, this is going to hurt and it'll hurt a lot. So take your pain meds. But know that it doesn't last forever. Sleep, follow your doctor's orders, avoid things with too much acid (i.e. sherbet!), and don't stress about SBD until you've healed. Trust me, even if you eat sugar every day, you are still going to lose a lot of weight while healing. It's just not possible to eat much because of the pain. Take it easy and get a good nurse!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #3  

Hi Melissa! I am not on SBD, but my son had his tonsils out last spring, and my husband is having his out tomorrow! I have also had mine out! I agree totally with everything Laurie said! Fluids are sooooo important for so many reasons after surgery! My son did have to go back to the hospital for IV fluids because he was so dehydrated. It also really helps keep your throat "wet" and avoid a really, really, really painful dry throat swallow! So keep sipping liquids, all day long! Keep up on your pain meds, don't let the pain get ahead of you!
Ice cream is actually a no-no because of the dairy. It will "stick" in your throat and make you miserable! Stick with clear liquids, broth, juice, etc. Whatever you can tolerate, and won't spike your sugars.
Hang in there! Be kind to yourself! It's going to take some time to recover!
MotoXMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Jersey
If youw ant a protein shake you can try Isopure zerocarb creamy vanilla no sugar in it you can buy a Big tub of it for about 35 on amazon
I have it almost every day
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I had to be on clear liquids last year as a prep for a procedure and I tried to stick to sugar free jello and diet sodas, but they weren't enough calories to sustain me. I ended up drinking light versions of some fruit juice or watering the juice down a little bit and drinking a lot of chicken broth too. Popsicles are quite comforting too. I like the SB "Tide Me Over" Tropical Breeze drink packages that you add to bottled water.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #6  
South Beach Newbie

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2"

Oh Jersey...I am so sorry but just know it will be all worth it in the long run. I had mine out at 21 and my husband has his out a year ago and didn't believe me when I mentioned a 2 week recovery time. TWO WEEKS. And take it easy. Lots of fluids.

Things that both he and I liked and could get down easy,
Jello- you can do SF
Ice Pops...again they make sugar free
Campbells soup at hand. All the ingredients have to be small enough to fit through the little hole to sip through so that made it easy to get down and you can even do a straw with this soup...just microwave it until it is warm not hot.
I made egg salad one day and just kinda slurped it down. You will get sick of sweet and like mentioned before...try to avoid milk products!

Good and bad news is you won't want to eat...good since you lose weight but bad because then you don't drink the fluids you need and most of the weight is just water weight.

There are good recipes for Black Bean soup that is pureed...pretty low sodium and not chunky at all and good warm or room tempeture.

The three things you will really need...Fluids...sleep and pain meds!
Schluh

PS Keep us updated on your recovery!

Last edited by schluh; 10-05-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added ps.
schluh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #7  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Thank you so much for the info ladies...sorry it took me so long to respond..i've been stuck in bed with a peritonsillar abcess and was on antibiotics so strong that I felt like I had the stomach flu for a week!! All of your information is very helpful...and scary LOL. I know it is going to hurt a lot..I just have to keep telling myself it will be worth it in the long run. I've decided I am going to wait until after the holidays to get it done. The doctor is ok with that as well. I just have too much going on until then...this month is my sisters bday...my bday...halloween...next month is my brothers bday ..my friend is expecting her baby...and thanksgiving...and then december is my dads bday my grandmothers bday and then the holidays. So I am going to try to schedule for the first or second week in January.

Beachgal...thank you for the advice...I'm pretty much going to do as you said and not worry about the diet. I'm actually looking forward to the weight loss...trying to concentrate on the positive LOL.

Schlul..i will keep you updated on my recovery..i'll probably be on here a lot during recovery...in bed with the laptop.

Ok one more question....are you able to swallow pills after surgery? I take metformin and the pills are kind of big. It is the extended release so I can't crush it up. I wonder how I am going to get around that one.

Thanks again ladies!
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #8  
South Beach Newbie

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2"

When I had mine out they gave me liquid pain killers but my husband had tablets. It is a little tricky but he got them down ok. The liquid is nice but tastes soooo bad. Worse comes to worse they will find a way to get the pain meds in you.

And it is totally worth it. I used to get strep about 6-10 times a year and just kinda lived with a sore throat and enlarged tonsils...they usually had hardened bumps on them and made my breath terrible. After the surgery I have only had strep twice (in 11 years!!!) and can talk, swallow, breath better and I have great breath now. Wish I had it done way sooner. SOOOO Worth the 2 weeks of recovery.
schluh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #9  

Just my 2 cents...make sure if you have any medication allergies all personnel are aware and that your family (or whoever is there with you) can inform and reinform. Definately don't want any post op puking due to meds (my personal experience). Good luck
tiggergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote