Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Clothes for an Eggplant!!!

I've had pretty good luck lately at some of the thrift shops, but for the life of me never get anything that really fits me well. Clothes + eggplant shape = a pain in the neck!!!

I got alot of new thing with tags: Eddie Bauer off-white jacket for $5.29; a Red Lands End winter coat with a fur collar for $29.99; Nike tennies for $3.99; a couple of uniform tops and one pair of uniform pants, an LL Bean long canvas type coat for $5.99, two new hoodies, a tan Sag Harbor dress and matching jacket; a Croft and Borrow sweater, a Liz Clayborne sweater and two dress pants, a St Johns Bay pair of pants, a couple pair of dress slacks by Relativity, I think they are Elderbeermans. A brand-new king-sized blanket for 8.99 at Goodwill because last time I went camping I froze to death!!! I was on my way to Walmart to pick on up. What the heck happen to med-lge tops that go below the waist of my pants?????

When I started losing weight so rapidly, I was given all kinds of things and desparately bought thing that didn't quite fit me. So, I need to replace some of my stuff, plus I'm taller than medium, but not quite tall enough for longs. Ever pair of dress pants have to be taken up the sides because of the way that I'm built and I'm having to accomodate my stupid hernia belt. I swear someday I'm gonna get that thing fixed! I have to shorten the longs. I'm still looking for flannel lined pants, but hate to order them from LL Beans or Lands End because I'm built so dumb and really need to try them on. My girls tell me that there is a mid-fit kind of jeans that don't come all the way up but covers you puny! So I'm on the hunt for those. The extra flab around my belly is really annoying and with the hernia the size of a baby's head, I get kind of scared when I look at myself in the mirror! LOL!! I'll take it just to be healthy again and will just put up with ill-fitting clothes.

I still love sweats, baggy jeans, and flannel at the house but want to look nice when I go out. It is so nice not to have to make all my clothes! Just wish that after the small, mediums there was a category for eggplant before they jump to the larges.

I went to an up-scale re-sell shop this weekend and they wanted $22.00 for the same shirts that I get for 3.29 at Goodwill. I swear there was a young girl in there and she had three items plus a pair of shoes and it was over a $100.00!

Happy clothes hunting!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I haven't had any luck at the Goodwill stores near me. I hear about others finding such great deals, but I haven't quite gotten there.

I will say, though, that I am officially in that awkward size range that's at the lowest end of plus sizes but at the highest end of regular sizes. I went to Old Navy yesterday and got 3 pairs of pants in size 18 and 2 shirts in XXL, which was very exciting. The pants are all baggy on my butt and thighs, but if I went with a 16, they would have been too tight in the waist. But I will say that buying regular sizes at Old Navy is MUCH cheaper than the plus sizes I was restricted to at Lane Bryant, Torrid, and Avenue!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #3  

Oh Jilly, I'm so happy for you. Nothing makes you feel better than when you can buy something attractive off the rack. They closed our Old Navy! Look how well you have done!!! Don't you feel physically so much better????!!!! I hate that in between size thingy. I'm wearing size 10s to 16s; whatever I can get on my eggplant body. I have a habit of wearing baggy, and it drives my kids crazy. Hey, I'm an old girl and I don't like my pants up my crack and the waist so tight that I have a blub above and below! The thing I like about Goodwill and Salvo is they have all kinds of brands and I can go in a try on a bunch of them and get an idea of what I need to look for at the store. I have to be honest. I have only bought one pair of new jeans and I wore them two weeks before they feel off my waist. My girls gave me a bunch of size 12s and 14s and I make due. Someday, I just might buy me a pair of new ones, but I get sticker shock when I go into JCP, Sears, Kohls, and such. Besides, free if for me! LOL! As long as they keep giving them to me, I'm gonna wear them! Keep up the good work!

Are you hungry? What is your eating pattern like with the DS? Do you snack? Had any diarrhea? How have your labs been?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm having a lot of issues with clothes right now
I'm either a pear or a Gourd and a short one at that!
Dresses are my least emotionally damaging article of clothing, but now that its getting cold those are out So I don't know what I'm going to do yet but I better think of something
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Nan I love overstock.com! Just got an evan picone dress for My gourd bod for $50 which is $$ but also I can wear it to work and It's MUCH better that macys prices
I wish My mom lived in NJ b/c shopping with DH is difficult and he can't help me try on
Old 09-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

I'll also add that I seem to be an apple shape - I have NO butt at all, and my legs seem disproportionately thin compared to my middle. So, the grass is always greener, ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanj View Post
Are you hungry? What is your eating pattern like with the DS? Do you snack? Had any diarrhea? How have your labs been?
I'm hungry sometimes, but not seemingly insatiably so like I was pre-op. I normally eat maybe 4-5 times a day. I aim for 6, but I usually get too busy at work and don't remember to eat soon enough to fit everything in. No diarrhea, but a bit of constipation since I started taking iron, so I take stool softeners daily. My labs run at 3 months were great, just a downward trend in iron and ferritin (not low yet, but heading there!), so I started supplementing iron at that time. I have my next labs run at the end of this month, at which time I expect to be taken off the remainder of my diabetes meds.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Jill you're kicking Butt
BTW I have a disproportionate amount of Belly to Butt so if it fits the Gut I'm droopy drawers in the back

whats ferritin?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO View Post
whats ferritin?
Ferritin goes along with iron. It tells you how much your body has for iron stores as opposed to just how much iron is in your blood at a given time (which is what your iron serum level is). You can actually have an iron deficiency if your ferritin is low even if your serum iron comes back within normal range.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

You have all done a great job!! Making great strides in the weightloss department.

Shopping for clothes is difficult when you are smaller sizes too?? Oh man!! Just when I was looking forward to losing weight and not dressing like every other big girl in town. I was looking forward to shopping off the rack!

I am so tired of shopping in the plus sizes....no selection, nothing really cute and nothing I like!

Come on ladies please tell me that there is something wonderful about shopping off the rack!

mgf~

Last edited by MyGirlFriday; 09-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #10  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

it is fun
but for me clothes have memories it was very hard to part with them
also I knew exactly how each brand fit in + Jones NY fit 1 way Ralph Lauren another LB a third
So It was a go and grab for me
now it takes time and thought!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

mgf, I think clothes shopping can be tough no matter what size you are! I know even my thinner friends complain that they never know quite what size they are because sizes vary depending on the store, designer, style, etc. And then, just like the trouble I've had with bigger sizes, just because something fits in the waist doesn't mean it fits well in the butt, or if a shirt fits over your stomach, it's too baggy on the shoulders...women's clothing in general is quite the enigma!

BUT I will lsay it is fun to have more options and to be able to walk into the regular size section and NOT be shopping for someone else, but for ME! I used to only go into Old Navy to shop for my nieces or for things like flip flops for myself, so being able to dig through the clothes and try things on myself was pretty freakin' awesome, if I do say so!

Once I have time, I will also be checking out Gap (they are owned by the same company as Old Navy, so their sizing is similar) and NY & Co., which tend to be friendlier with the larger end of the regular sizes. All of a sudden, I have OPTIONS beyond Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, and Avenue! Which opens up, for me, more affordable options (LB's prices scare me, even if I have a coupon!) and younger styles (I'm still only in my 20s, after all!).
Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGirlFriday View Post

Shopping for clothes is difficult when you are smaller sizes too?? Oh man!! Just when I was looking forward to losing weight and not dressing like every other big girl in town. I was looking forward to shopping off the rack!

mgf~

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but shopping in the smaller sizes is a pain in the rear end too. When I wore a 12 it was easy because that is an average size that stores order alot of. Now that I am a size 2 in jeans....its really hard to find them, especially in the cheaper stores. I went into Goodwill the other day and they had 4 long racks of size 8, 10, 12 and 14.. But they had like 3 pairs of jeans in size 2. And lets not talk about teeny bopper juniors sizes. Who really wants a pair of ripped jeans at 44 years young? It would seem that the grass is always greener until you get there. Our clothing problems never seem to go away completely.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #13  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I went Shopping today (the super deal I got from overstock got trashed by UPS)
I got 2 dresses one is purple the other animal print I just need the belly bloat to go bye bye I also got a cute Denim Peacoat
Old 09-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #14  

TamiL: a size two....WOW that would probably fit my head! I see your point. If I look at 12s then I see something I like better in a 10....never satisfied. My niece is a size one and her mom pulls her hair out trying to get her something that well, her butt or belly isn't showing and so her boobies don't hang out!! I guess eggplant 12/14s are better than circus tent 5Xs..I'm done griping now!! LOL!! But don't even get me started on bras and underwear!!!!

KO: Good for you. I'm still looking for flannel lined jeans that I can try on and don't have to order on-line because of my shape. It was 94 in the car today and I was perfectly happy, but everyone else was roasting. Not looking forward to winter at all.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #15  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanj View Post
It was 94 in the car today and I was perfectly happy, but everyone else was roasting. Not looking forward to winter at all.
This is starting to happen to me now, too! I never thought I would be the cold one because I was always so HOT all the time, but now I find I'm cold more often than hot. It's quite strange to adjust to!