South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking The HONEYCRISPS are here!!!!

Our local honeycrips are in! I had a huge one yesterday with nat'l PB and it was SOOOO good.

Anyone else have theirs yet?

I was looking for places to go pick in our area, and found this list of the species grown at a local school. I thought it was fascinating because it tells where the different apples originated, including our favorite, Honeycrisp! Amazing stuff...Thanks to those of you who got me into these wonderful apples. I'm ready for a bushel and a peck!

Last edited by beachgal; 09-18-2009 at 02:29 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

They're here too but I'm a loyal Eastern Ontario girl and MacIntosh are still my favourite since the were discovered at Dundela near Morrisburg, just an hour or so from here. It was 1811, the same year our Church was built. Must have been an exciting year!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

The apples we have around here are called 'horse apples'. Hard and dry. Yuck!
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Ours have been coming in for a couple of weeks. Honey Crisps are the absolute best driers. Last year I remembered to label all the apples and the honey crisp don't brown much and really hold their flavor. The Ginger Golds are my current favorite eating apple, but they are just about done. I prefer tart for eating but sweet for drying

I was disappointed I couldn't find any HC in Central NY last year. Couldn't wait to get to Vt to get one
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

YES!YES! They are here and I've had 2 so far. I'm going back to the store I bought them and hoping they still have some. I love this time of year when the apples come in fresh and delicious, it just makes dieting that much easier when you can fill up on something so tasty and good for you.
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

OMG...LOVE honeycrisp--I am gonna check out my local market!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I bought some at farmers market last week from one vendor - kind of small ones. The other growers said they would have them this week. This is my favorite way to eat them.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dess...le-yogurt.html
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #8  
Started SBD 1/26/04

We don't have honycrisps out here. But my favorite that is local are jonagolds. They are a cross between Johanthan and Golden Delicios. Boy are they great!!!

My favorite thing to do with them is to make a mock stove cobbler with blueberries. Throw the blueberries in a frying pan and let them simmer until they pop and then add the apples sliced up and let them cook in the blueberry juice until tender. I also throw in some cinnamon and nutmeg while they are cooking. When they are just about done I add oatmeal to the mixture and let it cook a little bit until it is still a little crunchy. Sometime I have to add a little bit of apple juice or water to keep it moist. Sometime we add a little whipped topping or ice cream on the top and have a wonderful quick dessert.
Sheba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I've been eagerly anticipating the arrival of Honeycrisps and finally spied some yesterday at Wegman's. They were &1.99 a lb, which wasn't bad, I thought, until I saw the size of them. Each one was huge and probably weighed more than a pound! I adore Honeycrisps but will have to be content eating my Galas until I can find them at a better price.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Cottage, ours are huge, too--and not nearly as tasty as the ones we had last weekend. But I'm going apple picking tomorrow and can't wait to see what I find.

Love the recipe ideas, chicks! I'm looking for ideas for cooking up the ones I pick! I need to get a dehydrator...I'd love to dry my apples!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

YES! Success! I have been able to get them two weeks in a row. The highest was $2.49/lb. and the lowest was $1.77. Yes, ours are huge too. I try to remember how many packages of chips or cookies I have purchased over the years though that cost more than the apples do.

Okay, another apple question. I bought G. Smith this week for .49/lb! They are gorgeous. I got them home and SOUR! SOUR! SOUR!

What to do with them? I could bake them but how would I sweeten without adding too much sugar? What about a pie? How would I use them for that? Any other ideas are welcome.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #12  

(I wish there was a DROOLING smily!?)
Can't wait for an apple (P1 Day3)-- i know it'll be the best thing ever!
Enjoy!
Meremaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I like to cut an apple into small chunks and add 1 tsp of smart balance, 1 pkg. Splenda and a little cinnamon. Cover dish with plastic wrap and nuke for several minutes until soft. Add 1/2 cup of FF greek yogurt with a little vanilla extract to mixture and enjoy!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Thighs, I find making apple pies with G. Smiths to be very yummy! I just follow any old apple pie recipe and substitute a combo of Splenda, Stevia, Erythritol, and other sweeteners (I often put in Spice-flavored SF syrup, too). It works well and is very yummy. I buy pre-made WW unsweetened piecrusts and use that for the bottom, then cover the top in homemade struesel that is heavy on the whole grains and light on fats and sweeteners. It's delish!

You might want to try making them as just baked apples, adding some sweeter fruit (the blueberries mentioned above are a good idea) to sweeten them up. You could mix apple varieties, too.

I went apple picking yesterday and got a ton of varieties that I can't wait to taste and bake with! I found some crockpot recipes for unsweetened applesauce and apple butter, which looks SO fun. I'm most interested in the Northern Spy and Orange Cox apples. Sadly, I'm on P1 right now, so have to wait to taste.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #15  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

sorry my recipe should have gone under general apple thread not baked apples with yogurt.
take care
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote