Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Default What's the deal with Eggs?

I've been trying to find a breakfast that keeps me full until lunch. I was eating yogurt, Kashi, and berries (Delicious!) but 30 minutes after I ate it I was hungry again. So I ate my morning snack right after breakfast and was starving 2 hours before lunch. I've found that eggs keep me full the longest (things with higher fat contents keep me full - like the Amy's breakfast scramble wrap). I've been having 3 hardboiled eggs on a pita every morning and I've enjoyed the lack of hunger until lunch. I'm worried about the cholesterol though. I can't find ONE answer on eggs. Some say they are good, others bad. I don't want to kill my cholesterol just with breakfast. My last blood work showed me "good" colesterol was high, and my "bad" cholestorl was normal.
Any thoughts? I don't really like meat, I can eat peanut butter by the jar so that's a no go, and I have no way to cook eggs at work and no time before. Do scrambled egg beaters stay good in the fridge overnight to be microwaved in the am?
Thanks!
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #2  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I switch between egg beaters and regular eggs both...depending how I feel. I mostly use egg beaters. I cook them either plain srambled, omelette or hash form (scrambled with veggies and sausage). And, yes, they stay ok cooked in fridge. I make my egg beaters either the night before or sometimes several days in advance for next few days and then portion it out for the week. I've never had problems with cooked egg beaters in the fridge. Next morning I just warm and eat. Once the container is opened they recommend you finish the container within 7 days.

I usually get my egg beaters from a wholesale store and freeze the containers until I'm ready to use it for the week.

Have you tried protein with your meals? There are plenty of non meat forms of protein. For me, carbs alone does not work. I will get hungry within an hour if I just eat cereal or oatmeal. I need some for of protein with meals to keep me full longer.

HTH

Last edited by pintobean; 09-18-2009 at 09:13 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #3  

I alternate my breakfasts. Some mornings I have a whole wheat english muffin (100 calories) with some natural peanut butter. Then I'll have fruit later on in the morning. This usually keeps me full until lunch.

On the alternate days I have 2 hard boiled eggs and a Special K bar later on (90 calories each and I think they are DELICIOUS!!). Or I'll have a low fat yogurt and fruit instead of the Special K bar.

Some days I feel like I'm eating a lot of calories in the morning, but I personally feel it's better that way and anyway I have fewer calories in the afternoon and for dinner (usually salad or veggies and some kind of protein).
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I too wish we could get an accurate and up to date answer on the egg cholesterol issue. I can sometimes eat 5 or more boiled eggs per day and I dont wanna damage myself with cholesterol. but they're so good with salt on them when they're cold! Yum! And the protein is a plus...
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Have you ever tried oatmeal?? This is my tried and true method of staying full for a full 3 hours or more. If you make it with skim milk you have the added benefit of the protein which keeps you fuller longer and if you had raspberries or mixed berries (frozen) to the oatmeal the added also keeps you full. I can't eat regular cold cereal anymore because I always wind up hungry in an hour. But if you switch it up, eat eggs or egg whites some mornings, oatmeal on others, your cholesterol will be just fine!

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

The AHA recommends no more than one yolk per day for non-diabetics. One yolk has almost the daily recommendation of cholesterol (300mg) to avoid cardiovascular disease.

That's for yolks though. There's no reason to give up the whites. I hardboil eggs to put on my salads, and just toss the yolks.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Another thing you could do is a tofu scramble. Tofu scrambles are very good and very egg like but without the cholesterol.

I don't eat eggs but I've been feeding our dogs eggs and my husband was concerned we were feeding them too much cholesterol by giving them an egg each every day. So we've cut down to half an egg each day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #8  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Egg white ommelette with veggies and turkey is always great
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #9  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

A friend told me that you can microwave egg whites. I haven't tried it yet because I haven't been in the mood for eggs, but here's a recipe link. Let me know if you try it and it works:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...wave_oven.html
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I eat 2 eggs everyday. I hope I am not killing myself with them.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I eat 2 eggs everyday. I hope I am not killing myself with them.
My 79 year old Dad eats 2 whole eggs everyday per his cardiologist & GP's instructions. Personally, I eat at least 2 whole eggs everyday...sometimes more.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Kim, I feel better
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Thanks to all for the info I really like Amy's Breakfast Scramble Wrap (buritto). I was eating it for breakfast for a week or two just looking at the calories and not the fat. I cecked the fat - 17g! Eeeek. Really good though and really filling... perhaps if I keep the rest of my fat for the day down...

Nutritional Facts
Serving Size: 1 wrap
Servings Per Container:
Serving Weight: 0

Calories: 380 Calories from Fat:180

% Daily Value

Total Fat: 19g 29%

Saturated Fat: 4.5g 23%

Trans Fat: 0g

Cholesterol: 10mg 3%

Sodium: 490mg 20%

Carbohydrates: 30g 10%

Fiber: 4g 16%

Sugars: 1g

Protein: 21g %

Organic: 90%

Vitamin A: 10% • Vitamin C: 2%

Calcium: 20% • Iron: 15%

Last edited by marbear24; 09-18-2009 at 01:10 PM.
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #14  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I eat 1 - 3 eggs per day, 4 times a week. It depends on other foods plans I've made. Sometimes I'll have a whole egg combined with egg whites. I don't like plain whites, they don't taste good to me. I'm blessed with the ability to handle eggs just fine. My cholesterol is awesome.

If I eat only carbs in the morning, I spend the day foraging. I get hungry really quickly. I have to have protein first thing in the day, and I combine that with a lot of veggies. I cook it all with olive oil. I might have a high-fiber whole grain bread with that. It usually keeps me going for a few hours.

My tastes are different. I sometimes eat sardines packed in olive oil with whole wheat toast and a squeeze of lemon for breakfast. Other times I'll have half an avocado, olives and a poached eggs. I like a poached egg and olive oil over my steel cut oats with cayenne pepper. I also like having a layered Asian-style soup, filling the bowl half way with whole grain pilaf or brown rice or quinoa, topping it with shredded poached chicken, cilantro, chilies, sautéed shallots, chopped hardboiled egg, bean sprouts, and then topping it off with chicken broth in which I've simmered ginger, lemongrass and kafir lime leaf. And then a squeeze of lime juice. I also like vegetarian lentil soup, which is really good for regulating blood sugar.

Something else I do is take a few capsules of Ceylon cinnamon, which also regulates blood sugar. I'm a type 2 diabetic that I manage entirely with diet and exercise. My blood sugar tends to go all over the place, and when it drops, I am more inclined to eat. The cinnamon helps me manage that impulse.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #15  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I eat at least one egg per day, sometimes more. I recommend the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" too. Eggs are not your enemy. Here's a tip from RealAge:

http://www.realage.com/blogs/doctor-...n/the-good-egg
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote