Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/241.5/150

Height: 5'9

Default What's your ulterior motive?

We all have one! What's your secret reason for wanting to drop the weight? We all want to be healthier, thinner, have more energy. Me? I want to wow my ex, make him see what he let go. He never commented on my weight but all the girls he had dated in the past were just little, bitty things. Oddly enough, I lost 15 pounds in the time we were together.
whitneyallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Well, as simple as this sounds, I really am just doing this so I can be healthy and live a longer, active life
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I just want to have 20 fewer pounds to lug up and down a mountain, or on my bike.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218.8/198/135

Height: 5'4

I just want to my daughter to be proud of me. She has been teased because of my weight. She says that it doesn't bother her but I know that it does. She just doesnt want to hurt my feelings. Bless her little heart.
e.mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #5  
Trying Again

Height: 5'5"

Of course the main reason is be healthy and enjoy life more...but I'm also getting married in the fall of 2010. What girl doesn't want to look amazing on her wedding day?
kisskisskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #6  

I turn 50 in 4 years. My doctor told me that if I didn't lose the weight I would soon be unable to walk....and I want to ride the Rockin' Roller Coaster at Disney World! And parasail...and ride in a gondola in Venice..and hike Bryce canyon...and to not be afraid any more and to stop hiding behind my fat!!!!!!!!!!!!! Phew....thanks for asking!
MissBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskisskill View Post
Of course the main reason is be healthy and enjoy life more...but I'm also getting married in the fall of 2010. What girl doesn't want to look amazing on her wedding day?

Congrats and good luck!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #8  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

One item that got me thinking about putting in the effort to remove the extra 100 lbs I've been carrying around for the last 20 years was a conversation I had with a family member. I think I've led a near magical life but somehow they saw my life as really sad. I couldn't figure it out until it clicked that they saw me as "the fat girl" so all other accomplishments somehow didn't count.

The next thing that got my attention was a number of friends who've ended up unemployed in the last year have had a really difficult time paying their own health insurance premiums when their obesity was calculated into the premium. I had no idea that the insurance premiums I'd priced out would not be available to me if/when my job disappears.

Finally, I decided I'd like to try internet dating on my 50th birthday coming up in October and there's no appearance category for "100 lbs to lose".
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

So that I can have arms like Linda Hamilton in Terminator2.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #10  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Well, I am doing this for health, specifically so I don't have to do it when I'm older and it's harder...

but I am also doing it so I can wear clothing I never felt comfortable wearing before. I am also doing it to show my family that it can be done. I am doing it to have a higher fitness level and be stronger. I am doing it so I look great at upcoming reunions... so I can see what a bikini looks like on my body.

And I'm doing simply so I don't have it on my list of things to do anymore.

There's all sorts of reasons and some days I'm more motivated by the "good" ones and some days I'm more motivated by the "bad."
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/119.5/110

Height: 5'1"

My motives in the past were always "ulterior" in the sense that I really didn't care about my health, heart, or anything except for how I thought weight loss would affect my appearance. For the first time, I'm doing it because I want to be healthy! I'm so proud to be able to wake up every morning and say, "I work out." It feels sinfully good! The rest is just icing...although I have to say, to be able to fit into--and look good in--a pair of jeans just makes it too good to give up! Great question!
BKKchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #12  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Doing it for myself, because I'm tired of being fat and want to know what it is like to wake up thin every day... and I want the energy that goes with it.

Other than that, I would like to be more flexible in the.. *ahem* bedroom. *nudge nudge wink wink*.. both for me and for DH. AND.. probably the biggest other than me reason: I want my kids growing up knowing what it is like to eat healthy.. with their MOM as the primary example of healthy diet and exercise. I do NOT want either of them going through what I have gone through.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #13  
Trying Again

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
I want my kids growing up knowing what it is like to eat healthy.. with their MOM as the primary example of healthy diet and exercise. I do NOT want either of them going through what I have gone through.

I'm so glad to hear that! Growing up we were fed junk food because it was easier(canned spaghetti, pizza rolls, etc). Physical activity was not something that was stressed. It wasn't such a big deal when we were with my granny because we spent most of our time outside with her. With my parents I remember both of them sitting infront of the tv all day. They also slept throughout the day. Both were very obese. I have sworn up and down that I am going to change my lifestyle and when I have children they will be taught the importance of healthy eating habits and physical activities.
kisskisskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 248/241.5/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
So that I can have arms like Linda Hamilton in Terminator2.
Good one! I'm working towards Michelle Obama arms myself.
whitneyallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #15  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

I don't want to embarrass my kids the way I was embarrassed by my mother's weight.

I want to look as good as the other women in this affluent town. I feel like I don't fit in being the fat one.

I want to be able to go ocean kayaking.

I want dh to be proud of the way I look when he introduces me to other people.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote