Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #1  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Question Do you change your ticker?

Hi all!

I have to weigh in tonight, and I know that one of the first things I'll do when I get home is log my weight in on fridgegraph and change my signature and ticker to reflect my weight. I feel that putting the results visibly and publically make me, well, more accountable. It sucks when I have to move the ticker UP, but it serves as a "kick in the pants", so to speak, at least, for me.

I notice that, although I've been on this site for several months, there are tickers that just don't change, even though the posters are discussing their weight loss successes/failures and giving tips. And it has been MONTHS...I was wondering why this is.

SO, does your ticker reflect your actual, as of today, weight? If it doesn't, why not? How often DO you change your ticker?

And if you get weight loss advice (not the emotional support kind, but the "do this because it works for me" kind) from someone whose ticker hasn't budged for MONTHS, do you seriously consider the advice?

Thoughts?

Kira
Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #2  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I do change my ticker whenever I get weighed. It is usually twice a week. if it goes up or down,I reflect the changes.I did notice that too,that alot of tickers don't move either way.

Last edited by Tracy; 07-08-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #3  
Kitten steps to fitness

S/C/G: 208.5/?/148

Height: 5' 6"

Me too. I love changing my ticker then posting so I can see it. It's very motivating for me. I also have a chart on my fridge to track my weigh-ins, and that is very motivating as well.

I haven't noticed trackers on here that haven't moved. I look at the trackers but I guess it's difficult for me to remember whether the numbers I'm looking at are the same or have changed.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I change my ticker if it goes down every weekly weigh in....if by chance I gain I give myself two weeks and that no matter what will be recorded on my ticker. Lately I've been losing half a pound a week and I don't do put it on there until I've reached a full pound.

I keep my advice options open...just because a certain thing works or had worked for someone doesn't mean it'll work for me and vice versa. Plus you don't know if they are maintaining for a little while for different reasons or whatever.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #5  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

I couldn't wait to get my ticker! I'm very goal oriented, so I think they're awesome - a visual boost that I really am making progress. Of course, I'm just tall enough, and have nice even weight distribution, so I have to lose 15 pounds before anyone notices.

But, as soon as the scales move, I run to log it on FitDay, and then move my ticker.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

To be honest, I have decided to not weigh myself. I mean, I am sure I will one day but I was obsessing and worrying so much with the scale that I finally decided it wasn't worth it. So until I feel more comfortable and ready to weigh, I am leaving my ticker as is.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

My ticker hasn't changed because that is the weight I have been maintaining. I have found that I have my favorite posters on here that I love most of what they have to say. There are also people's whose opinions are reflective of a diet that never worked for me. So I think you just have to take into consideration maybe if you have anything in common with the posters.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I weigh daily. I am either 1/2 pound or 1 pound less than ticker shows. When I was losing at a faster pace, I changed it more frequently.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

When I was losing weight, if it blipped up, I'd give it two days to come back down before adjusting up. Every day weighing with an update didn't make sense to me...too much fluctuation!

Usually, I maintain within a range, so as long as I'm going to be staying in that range, my stats stay the same. Right now I'm maintaining a bit higher than that, but not moving much, so it stays in the same place.

I really consider everyone's advice and decide whether it applies to me...everyone, whether just starting, sitting at a bit of a plateau, or losing consistently, might have something useful to offer. I do the same I do with all advice - listen, consider whether it makes scientific sense and whether it seems to make sense given my previous experience, and consider whether it would work for me in my plan.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #10  
video game junkie

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

if my weight fluctuates up by a pound I usually dont change it because I find it depresses me, if it's any more than a pound in either direction I update.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #11  

Height: 5'9"

I usually change my ticker about once a week. I've sort of made Friday mornings my official weigh in day. I do weigh myself through out the week sometimes, just to see how I'm doing, but I normally only actually go by what I weigh Friday mornings

Last edited by luvja; 07-08-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #12  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

OK, here are my ticker rules. I weigh-in "officially" on Tuesdays at my TOPS meeting and have decided to go by their scales. Of course, if I went by my scales the ticker would move a lot more, but that is another gripe for another time. Now, if on Tuesday's I've had a loss then I'm rushing home to change my ticker ASAP. Unfortunately, I had a gain of one pound last week, so I decided to give myself one week to lose the weight, or I would adjust my ticker accordingly. Yay for me for losing 1.8 last night and getting to move my ticker in the right direction.

As for taking advice from people whose tickers haven't moved, I really don't let that affect me whatsoever. I do admit to having my own issues with myself giving others advice when my own ticker wasn't moving and you can clearly see by the date I've joined that I've been here long enough to reach goal. But, I've had to come terms with my failures and begin again. I do have lots of good advice and I do know how to lose weight. I just got to do it...right?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

At first, when I was losing, I would change it each Monday's weight (even though I was weighing daily), up or down.

Then I stopped changing it for ups, because they were only water (there was no time while I was losing that I could possibly have gained fat - well, except maybe on vacation, but I turned out to have gone down when I got back ).

Then I started posting any new low weight (not just weekly).

Then (now) I'm in kind of some phase, a bit off track. Haven't changed the ticker (I'm closer to 140) because I'm not really so focused on the weight anymore, more on my habits, and because I'll get there again ... and because I don't wanna . Changing it isn't going fix anything. I don't respond well to trying to make myself feel bad.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #14  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

At this point I change my number when I've been at the new weight (or slightly lower) for 5 days in a row. I weigh once every day.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-08-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #15  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

I don't use a ticker because I would never remember to update it, but I do change my sidebar thingy once a week. Although maybe I'll start putting in new lows.
Closed Thread