Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #1  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Question What are your Strategies For Weight Loss?

What are some Strategies For Weight Loss?
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

For me, pick a programme that's do able, not too ambitious. Slow and steady wins the race.
I then strive to do it perfectly. I know some people don't like that idea but if I don't stick to a thing exactly, I lose control of the drift.
That being said, I make sure my programme has plenty flexibility in it, so that my perfection is probably the same as someone elses 90%.

I count calories, up to 1500 a day. The aim is to stick to whole foods, no processed carbs/meats/cheeses for as much of the time as I can but Always to stick to the calorie budget. This means I can have days with a candy bar or a cookie and still be on plan, as long's it's not every day.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Hmmm. My strategy.

I have an overall plan that's based on dividing up my carbs, proteins and fats into servings of particular foods--like 4 vegetables, 2 fruits and so on. It forces me to eat fairly similarly to Ailidh--whole foods, not much that's processed, if at all.

But it leaves me a lot of flexibility. And I've found that doing the following has really helped me.

1) I try to have a little fat with each meal. So, for example, a smidge of butter on my rye toast, or fying the veggies in a little olive oil for my omelette. I find it helps me feel like I have had a big meal. I feel nice and full. It also keeps me from "grazing."

2) However, if I need to graze I use high volume foods like berries (1 cup = one serving as opposed to 1/2 banana). In my mind all uncooked veggies are fair game. Carrots, snap peas, celery, peppers--I can have as many as I like.

3) Drink lots and lots of water. If I feel hungry, I'll make myself a nice big pint glass of water (sometimes with a dash of lemon juice) and drink that. If I'm hungry when that's gone, I'll eat something.

4) I try to have dinner ready at a consistent time every weekday night. It's taken me a while to figure out how to curb the cravings in the evening--but a nice satisfying meal with a complex carb, a cooked veggie or two and maybe even a salad and at least 2 ounces of protein (preferably a bit more) helps. If I want a "little something" for dessert (usually after our evening walk) I'll have 1/2 cup yogurt and fruit.

5) I always have a bed-time snack to "finish" up my calories for the day. I actually missed last night, though I'd been looking forward to it. (1/2 oz cheese, onion, rye toast and tomato with basil melted under the broiler.)

6) Oh my, I almost forgot. Breakfast. I always have breakfast now. Right now it's either a one egg omelette or cottage cheese and fruit.

7) So, all in all, I'm probably eating about every three hours. It is amazing just how much food you can eat for 1600 calories when it is "real" food. I love it.

hth.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220.6/213.2/145

Height: 5'4

I'm following the weight watchers momentum program.
rowan108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #5  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Exercise and planning, I surround myself with whole food cookbooks
workout magazines, and watch T.V programs that promote weightloss and eating healthy. I eat between 1200-1400 hundred calories day.
I write out everything....I have 3 meals and 2 snacks a day about 3-4 hours apart. And I have an assortment of workout DVD's to keep my interest going.
And a taking it slow and steady approach.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

For me, as a cynic by nature, I could never wrap my head around "organized" weight loss - I mean, a company whose success depends on my repeat business doesn't seem like a road I want to travel. So I guess I use the "common sense" approach, and finally abandoned my usual "ALL OR NOTHING" mentality - either eat like a waif or a lumberjack LOL that doesn't work. So I started by eating breakfast every day (cottage cheese, piece of fruit, piece of toast if i'm starving), making lunches to take to work every day, and spending some extra time making a nice supper. I always ate lots of fruits and veg (and everything ELSE mind lol) so that's not a problem. The single biggest change I have to say is shutting down the kitchen after dinner & a cup of tea and bite of something sweet. NO snacking after supper. LOTS of people can't live without a snack at night, and can handle it just fine, but I know myself and my habits well enough to know that 1 piece of cheese and a cracker turns into 10 pretty quick LOL best to avoid it altogether. MOST of all, FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU AND WHAT YOU CAN LIVE WITH. If you're in abject misery you're doomed to fail.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I think that my most important strategy is persistence. When I look back over my life it seems that every major accomplishment I have achieved, primarily my education, my marriage, and raising children, required persistence. Some people might (and have) called it stubbornness. Never, ever give up.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

My biggest strategies are:

~ Plan! I lead a very chaotic life and there is no set schedule but I plan my meals/snacks for every day. I also plan my exercise in 5 days a week.

~ Stuff that I can't say "no" to is just not allowed into my house. Period.

~ Write down everything that I put in my mouth. This holds me accountable besides helping me keep track of my points

~ Water is your friend.

~ Don't stress too much about what the scale says. If you are truly on your plan then the weight will go down, maybe not in a straight line but it's all good. Fluctuations happen hour to hour, day to day, minute by minute....it's a part of life & as soon as you can accept that then it'll be a more stress free journey

~ I've made commitment to myself and I treat it that way! Just like I can't not feed my kids...I can't not do this for myself
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #9  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

Here's my ongoing gameplan:

Food...
Food is fuel. I eat 6 small meals a day, trying to aim for a percentage roughly of 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fats. No white breads, lower glycemic carbs when possible. I snack on fruit if I need a boost - usually berries or grapes - and cut up cauliflower, carrots, and celery.
Today's mealplan:
9:00am - bowl of 1 cup fatfree cottage cheese, 1 cup fatfree yogurt, .5 cup granola
11:00am - boneless, skinless chicken breast on 2 slices weight watchers wholewheat bread
2:00pm - 2 hard boiled eggs, mashed up with a little pepper and hot sauce, in a 1/2 of a wholewheat pita
5:00pm - small, lean grilling steak, baked potato with fatfree sour cream topped with hot sauce
9:00pm - protein shake after getting back from the gym

Exercise...
Gym once a day for cardio (30 mins exercise bike) or an hour in gym lifting weights. I hit the weights as hard as I can - it boosts metabolism, which burns fat more quickly.

Liquids...
I kicked the 6 cans of Coke habit a month ago. Now it's 1 can of diet coke, non-stop glasses of water all day (as much as I can drink), and a couple mugs of green tea daily.

I plan everything the evening before, and review how I did at the end of the day. Not every day turns out perfect, but I'm losing weight quickly and feel healthier.
Kootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #10  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Great question!

I don't believe in the "diet mentality". I'm changing my lifestyle.
Changing my lifestyle means I have to adjust my eating and exercise habits.
I went on a program that works with my life and how I live and with what is important to me.
As how you eat accounts of 80% of how you look, I stick strictly to my eating plan through planning and journalling what I eat (I'm on WW)
If I fall off-plan, I forgive myself, and get back on.
I weigh myself once a week, as a feedback mechanism. It isn't the be-all and end-all of my existance.
I found an exercise that I love, and I do it at least 4 times a week.
I do the exercise for cardiovascular, flexibility and balance improvement.
Exercise does NOT give me permission to eat freely!!!
NO SELF-LOATHING ALLOWED.
NO EXCUSES -- I own my decisions and carry on from there.

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-30-2009 at 02:23 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #11  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I hate anything that forces me to be overly structured, but I finally did realize that to be successful I have to have a plan that I will stick to. I think I found it.

1. Food. I count all my calories and post it on my PC Fitday. I try very hard to keep the total of calories between 1500 and 1600 a day. I do allow myself one "free" day where I might eat out, or cook something more calorie dense, (something not to hideous). I don't count my calories on my free day because I need that one day off so I don't get burned out on calorie counting, which I know is the only way for me to lose this weight.

I try to eat as many whole foods as possible. Lots of lean protein, low-fat dairy, complex carbs, tons of veggies, moderate amounts of fruits. I get as much fiber rich foods as I can into my diet. I drink lots and lots of water. Coffee and tea are my other beverages of choice, but I use Splenda and fat free half-n-half so they aren't that bad. I don't touch white sugar, flour, or full fat dairy products. I don't buy much processed foods and much prefer making things from scratch where I can control the ingredients and calories.

2. Exercise. I love it and I do it 6 days a week. I go to a great gym and use the elliptical and treadmill for 60 to 90 minutes. Exercising is what has taken most of the pain from my legs and given me the stamina and energy I'm loving. I do plan to start up using weights again, but haven't decided how to do that since I no longer agree with the weight machines at the gym. I just might have to break down and pay one of the trainers to teach me how to use those free weights of theirs. I know that strength training is vital so I'm going to get on with that.

3. Accountability. I have to answer to someone other than myself. So, I joined TOPS (Take off pounds sensibly) support group. I weigh in every Tuesday evening and sit with other women and men who are either working to lose their weight or are working to maintain their loss. I find it very encouraging to be part of a group where I have a scale to answer too and the fun and support of other people.

I also spend a lot of time here on 3FC where I get tons of support and great advice. I join challenges, which keeps me going.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #12  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

It's weird because as much as I hate when people say its as easy as eat less and exercise more... It really is THE key, however as most of us know there are a whole MESS of things that account for if you can manage that long term including emotional stuff, health, habits, history, etc etc. but if you want to break it down into simple aspects of what makes it work for me:

- Counting Calories - keeping to a chosen calorie limit (give or take)
- Exercise (regularly 6x per week NO excuses)
- Nothing off limits but keep the crap out of the house
- Recording food intake and balancing a calorie deficit with exercise
- NOT stopping when you screw up
- Having an activity "goal" to train for isn't essential but helps keep exercise on track an for me has been a real key for the long term.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #13  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

For me and the way my life is right now the key is PLAN and then DO. Also journalling everything I consume keeps me honest and accountable. I have also made it a bit like a game, keeping score and seeing my successes each day in black and white, whether it be weight, points consumed (I'm on WW), getting my exercise in, fruit and veg consumed, etc. Sounds weird but I find it FUN!

This is about loving myself and finally having the guts to have ultimate self respect.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #14  

Height: 4'11"

I started out trying to change too many things at once. For me that doesn't work. I have to work on one area at a time. Exercise: check, I walk the dog 30 min. to an hour everyday. Junk: check. It's out of my life. No sugar or fast food crosses my lips. Now I'm working on more veggies and fruit. I'm consistently losing, so I must be doing something right.

Last edited by thinpossible; 06-30-2009 at 03:27 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #15  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Thank You all for your Strategies. I need to eat less junk food and more fruits and vegetables. I need to start eating less processed food. I use a calorie counting program. I usually eat between 1700 and 1500 when I'm on program. I try to get in 64 ounces of water minimum. I need to exercise more.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote