Old 06-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #1  

Default Nutella

Sorry if this isn't the right spot, but does anyone know if Nutella (it's that cocoa/hazulnet spread similar to peanutbutter )would be allowed as a topping....or a spoonful...in phase 1....or at all? Peanut butter is allowed right?
twentyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I highly doubt that Nutella is allowed on SBD, as I'm sure it's full of sugar and fat and high in calories.
Peanut butter is allowed on all Phases of this plan, but it should be natural peanut butter with less than 3grams of sugar.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Nutella is so high in sugar that it would not be Phase I or II friendly.

I recently bought some Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams at Walmart, because I was swayed by a persuasive sample lady. It isn't nearly as sweet as Nutella, but does have 6g of sugar per tablespoon - less than Nutella, but still too high.

I've also added unsweetened cocoa powder and Splenda to peanut butter, to make my own spread.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-02-2009 at 07:15 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #4  

Ah ha ha, lol. Sorry for that. I had looked and looked at the ingredients list and didn't find sugar anywhere....so I was hoping the grams amount was from natural sugar...lmao...I can't believe I missed it as the FIRST ingredient!! Silly me, I must be jonesin' for sugar already.

I'm so sad now.....lol.

Thanks anyhow. I will try that cocoa to peanutbutter thing.
twentyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Twentyless, there are two options you can try.

The first is to make your own Nutella. I bet it would be even MORE delicious, since the one we get now is mostly sugar (as you found out). Two of the recipes seem the easiest to adapt, but you could mess with the others I've linked to below, too. This recipe for Chocolate Hazelnut Spread could be used as is, as long as you don't have cravings in response to agave nectar (if you do, just use sugar-substitutes for part of the agave).

Here's the first recipe with my adaptations in red brackets (note that if you aren't in love with cooking or are in a hurry, you could try this with pre-bought natural (no sugar!) hazelnut butter. You'd just mix in the ingredients to it, though I'm not sure how much the cup of hazelnuts make. You'd have to mess around with it.):

Quote:
Homemade, Real Nutella (Hazelnut-chocolate spread)

1 cup hazelnuts
3 oz dark chocolate -- more if you’d like your spread more chocolatey and less nutty [If you want this to be a once-a-week indulgence, you can use the dark chocolate. If you want to eat it every day, you'll need to use unsweetened baking chocolate and compensate with splenda/stevia/erythritol, etc. to make up the sweetness]
1 T butter [personally, this small amount wouldn't bother me, but if you want to be SBD-strict, you might consider using Smart Balance for this]
3 T hazelnut oil
3 T honey [try using 3 T of agave nectar, or 1 T and 1 tsp of agave plus 1 T and 2 tsp. of Splenda instead]
1 t vanilla (and/or dash of Grand Marnier or other flavor)
pinch of salt

...Toast the hazelnuts for a few minutes in a 350 degree F oven, even if they’re pre-roasted. Warming them will help with the skin removal and with turning them into nut butter. Pour the hazelnuts into a dish towel or cloth, and rub until most of the peels are removed.

Then, shake out the bits of peel. A tip: pour the hazelnuts into a strainer with big holes. The nuts will stay in, the bits of peel will fall down:

On the stove, melt the chocolate in a double boiler. [you can also melt it in the microwave. Put it in a glass measuring cup, like Pyrex, and heat on high for 30 secs at a time, stirring between heatings, until melted.] While it’s melting, place the hazelnuts in the food processor and run it until they form a paste, the stage after grinding. Add oil, butter, vanilla, salt and honey (tip: use the same measuring spoon for the honey that you used for the oil. The sheen of oil will help the honey avoid sticking to the spoon.)

When the chocolate is melted, pour it into the food processor and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust flavors as needed.

Pour into jars. The consistency at this point will be fairly liquidy, like a chocolate sauce. It’s nice poured over fruit.

The proper consistency forms after about 30-45 minutes in the fridge. After longer in the fridge, you’ll want to let it sit out at room temperature for a little while to achieve the proper consistency. This spread is less smooth, less sweet, and more nutty than store-bought Nutella. Adjust the recipe to suit your tastes, and enjoy!
Second Recipe, with my adjustments in red brackets (check out the website...she has a great discussion about why Nutella in the jar is not particularly healthy):

Quote:
Healthier Not-tella (Chocolate Hazelnut Spread)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (heaped) fresh hazelnuts
5 tablespoons oil [make sure it's good oil...hazelnut would make this even more hazelnutty!]
1-3.5 oz Lindt 70% cacao content bar
1/4 teaspoon (scant) of good-tasting pure stevia extract [or you could use a packet or two of Splenda...I'm not sure of the stevia measurement comparison to Splenda]
4 tablespoons powdered milk (I used Organic Valley)
Pinch sea salt

Preparation:
Toast hazelnuts in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, stirring twice. Dump hot hazelnuts into a clean dish towel and rub vigorously for a few moments to remove some of the skins. Don't worry if some of the skins are still left on. Chop up nuts well (unless you have a really powerful blender). Pour oil into blender or Magic Bullet cup. Add nuts. Blend for a minute or two until nuts are ground as smooth as you can get them. Make sure your hands are dry, and break or chop up chocolate bar into pieces and microwave for 30 seconds, then for 15 seconds, or until it can be stirred smooth. Stir in powdered milk (sifted, if it has lumps), stevia, and sea salt. [At this point, I think she wants you to add the hazelnuts] Store tightly in a glass jar for 24 hours to let the flavors meld. Reheat cold Nutella to make it spreadable, as it will harden in the fridge.
Other recipes to mess around with:
DIY Nutella
Nuts for Nutella
Recipe for Nutella, Hazelnut-Chocolate spread

The second option is to buy a pre-made sugar-free version. There was one called Twist for a while and it was very yummy, though it had some icky ingredients (like maltitol). It's no longer made, but there is one made by La Nouba. The first two ingredients aren't the best, but it's something each of us has to decide for themselves. You can read about it (including nut'n info--scroll down the page for that) here.

Hope that helps your Nutella cravings! I think if you made the version with cocoa powder and stevia (or a sweetener), you'd be able to have it during Phase 1. But stay away from any using dark chocolate (the real stuff), agave nectar, etc. during Phase 1. It's not safe.

Last edited by beachgal; 06-03-2009 at 11:49 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote