Old 10-06-2002, 09:30 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Psyllium

I need advice! How much do you take, and in what form? Also, do you hide it in food? Thanks!!!
Old 10-06-2002, 10:52 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default in shakes

Hi Suzanne,
I use it in a powder and caplet form. Depending on how much time I have in the morning. When I have my protein shake, I add a heaping table spoon to the shake, otherwise, I take 6 caplets with a BIG glass of water in the morning. (Take your essential oil at the same time)....helps things slide along

If you dont like taking it this way, throw into your meatballs, or hamburgers etc. you'll never know your taking it

Enjoy
Robin
Old 10-06-2002, 10:54 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default sorry

Im sorry, Jennifer, I just finished reading one of Suzannes......Im going to bed!
Old 10-06-2002, 11:37 PM   #4  

Jennifer - I don't take any. I know I need to, but I'm taking so many other things that it gets hard to remember to take everything. I'm considering Benefiber, is that Psyllium?
Old 10-07-2002, 12:35 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Thanks, Robin! Does this thicken the shake as well? I thought I read somewhere that it did, but I might be confused with something else.

Dyan, I am not sure if Benefiber has psyllium in it or not. I looked on the website and I can't find the source of the fiber. I did notice that it said 3 grams of soluble fiber per serving. My All-Bran has 13 grams per serving...but I dunno how much of that is soluble vs unsoluble. Anybody know how to tell?
Old 10-07-2002, 01:10 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

Oh Dyan, I found out that Benefiber is :

"Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum (A 100% natural fiber). "
Old 10-07-2002, 07:08 AM   #7  

Jennifer, metamucil is psyllium. I buy the CVS or Walmart brand, much cheaper.

If I took a Tablespoon I would blow up!

I use a teaspoon in a glass of cranwater or crystal lite(about 6 oz.)
You could take it in anything, but I don't like to take it if its been sitting around- it blows up and it's yuky going down. I take it according to the directions on the container.
You can take it everyday.

If you want something that you can take in yogurt or a shake, how about ground flax seed or regular bran flakes. If I am eating oatmeal, I usually put some bran in it to give me a little extra fiber.

dottie
Old 10-07-2002, 09:20 AM   #8  
GARDENING ADDICT

I use Psyllium Husk Powder instead of metamucil, which has too much sugar in it. The directions say to take 1 teaspoon, mixed in a glass of water, 1-3 times a day. On the FF plan you would take it twice a day with your LLC Just be sure to drink lots of water during the day. Sometimes taking psyllium can constipate you until it kicks in (could be days) .Also taking magnesium tablets helps. You just need to find the right combo for you. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:42 AM   #9  
WW Moderator

Thanks everybody!
Old 10-07-2002, 04:53 PM   #10  

Unflavored metamucil has no sugar. It is 100% psyllium.

Only the orange flavor has sugar.

d.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:52 AM   #11  
Lifetime Member

Hi Jennifer (and all you stuffed chicks),

I found the psyllium does give me a bloated feeling, which is the last thing I need when I need this kind of help anyway. So I used to take Citrucel, a fiber that does not cause the bloating. It is a fiber called methylcellulose, and it comes in sugar-free orange flavor. I have used it often. Right now I take flax fiber caps every day. When I need a sudden blast, as it were, I have used "Aloe Maxlax" (in health food stores, an herbal - aka, natural - laxative [no presservatives, chemicals, etc]) and have found it to work VERY well. Oh, the flax fiber is also natural and flax oil is another way to help this very common low-carb problem.

Hope you have luck REALLY soon.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:29 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

Thanks everybody for your advice! Giggles, I hadn't heard of flax-fiber caps. Do you know if in that form it is still rich in Omega 3 oil?

By the way, I am really just looking to get in my daily fiber intake with this. I take Glucophage, so constipation is never a problem, ask my family! Hehe..
Old 10-09-2002, 09:27 AM   #13  
Lifetime Member

Jennifer,

Oops! My bad! You are right. I mis-wrote. Sorry!

Flax oil and caps are used for regularity, but as far as I know, they are not mixed with fiber.

Flax seed is used in the health food world as a potent laxative in moderate amounts, or is added to carbs or taken in liquid or capsule form for its heart protection. By itself, flax oil provides all three Omega oils.

As with the use so many decades ago of cod liver oil, too much oil will coat the food and the intestines and not allow the absrption of food's nutrients. That is the laxative effect. It is like putting ice skates on the food. Slides right through.

FYI: the current rave is to take Omega 3, Omega 6, and Omega 9 for complete heart protection and whatever other wonders it provides.

In fact, organic flax oil is considered to be better than fish oil because of the high contamination we have caused to all the oceans's inhabitants. For so many decades we have been spraying highly toxic insecticides and herbicides onto our growing produce, then they make their way into our oceans by rain and rivers. It is believed that there is no edible sea food that does not have high amounts of those toxins.

Apparently those chemicals do not degrade or change their chemical makeup, as is well-documented with DDT.

Borrage oil is also wonderful for supplying all three Omega oils, but for the same reason as with the fish, we should only use organic borrage - it is (hopeflly) free of pesticides.

Sorry about the organic lecture.

The answer to your question is "yes. "But with me, there is always a long, loooooonnnggg answer.

Flax comes in liquid, capsule, and seed forms, and there are MANY brands and combinations.

If you use any oils, liquid or capsules, be sure to refrigerate after opening (unless there are so many preservatives they will outlast Twinkies!)
Old 10-09-2002, 09:33 AM   #14  
GARDENING ADDICT

Thanks ladies , I always learn something from you
~~~Sil
Old 10-09-2002, 09:43 AM   #15  
Lifetime Member

Oh, Jennifer, I forgot!

If you want to get your fiber count in for the day with a dessert like cheesecake or fudge bars, or even in hot cereal with a low carb count, you should check out...

....this is not an advertisement, just a recommendation,

the Expert Foods available in lots of low carb e-stores. A biological engineer who also is a low carber invented a substance which is added to many different substraits with some pretend sugar (sucralose, stevia, or the one you like best) and it gives you lots of fiber. It seems impossible to believe, but I can tell you that through personal experience you have to eat very little of these desserts because they do have lots of fiber. (It took the ER doc 63,219 stitches to put my tummy back together after I exploded when I was depressed and at two pieces of the cheesecake! Okay, so I exaggerate a bit... but I was miserable for 24 hours because of the bloating from too much cheesecake! And I never thought there could be such a thing.)

I can't do a link because I am not at a real computer (it's Matel's My First Computer, aka, Web TV) but these things can be found in many low carb stores online as Expert Foods products.

You should try it. A bit expensive, but it is amazing IMHO to get enough fiber by eating dessert. No carbs, no sugar, not fat, no "nada," just fiber and great taste.