Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #1  

Default Simple "Vegan Til 6" Diet

I was reading Reader's Digest today and came upon this article by a famous chef and food writer who gradually gained weight until he realized it was causing him a lot of problems, and he did some research and developed his own plan, on which he lost the extra weight.

Basically, he eats a fruit and vegetable based diet at breakfast and lunch, with all unprocessed foods (ie, fruit and oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch.) He forgoes bread, sugar, fried foods and any junk all day.

The payoff is that he has a chef's type dinner at night, with small portions of everything, including meat, wine, and dessert.

Interesting story, I love how he worked out a solution that fit his particular lifestyle so well.

http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/sim...cle109150.html
Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #2  
it's always something

Thanks! I love Mark Bittman, so this was very interesting. It's a very sound way for a lot of people to eat better.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #3  

I visited some friends in France last summer and it reminds me of the way they eat -- one main meal and they really enjoy it! The portions there are small compared to what we are used to but oh so delicious and when you're done you're not stuffed or hungry. Not surprisingly you don't see very many fat people over there, with all the delicious sauces and wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Thanks! I love Mark Bittman, so this was very interesting. It's a very sound way for a lot of people to eat better.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

Default Part time vegan

I read the Vegan till 6 article in Jan 09 Readers Digest and it really hit home. I am a long time animal welfare worker, find factory production of meat products incredibly upsetting and in general lean toward not eating meat. That said I never gained more weight then when I was a vegetarian for 3 years. Did you know that mashed potatoes and Mac and cheese are veggie? I did! In fact, you can be vegetarian and not eat veggies!
The timing of this article was perfect and I decided to give the diet a month, not so much to lose weight but in order to gain control of my eating and feel connected in a positive way to food again.
I have redirected my eating for a couple days now and enjoy thinking about where my food comes from.
My next step is to plant a veggie garden so that I am growing my own food.

Closed Thread