Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/163/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Pureed Soup

Hi, I'm new here. I am a WW Core plan follower, and I've always been interested in natural health. Since being on the WW Core plan, I've actually started eating the way I've always thought would be best ... low sugar, no bread, with veggies, fruit and whole grain hot porridge type cereals being the mainstay of my diet.

I've been doing really well lately eating this way, and even though winter has arrived early and with a vengeance here, I'm not putting on my usual pudge.

Every week, I make myself a pureed soup, and the creaminess and warmth of it are really wonderful. My first one was butternut squash. I've also made acorn squash, cauliflower, cauliflower-broccoli and black bean.

The base for any pureed soup is chopped onion, garlic, carrot and celery -- sauteed in olive oil. After this has sauteed for 10 minutes, add chicken or vegetable broth and either your 2 potatoes (except for bean soups), whatever vegetable (cauliflower, butternut squash, etc.) and boil until everything is soft, then puree in blender.

It's so great.

Thanks for letting me share.
IngridonWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #2  

Sounds good. I agree that soups are a key factor in getting in a ton of veggies and in feeling satisfied. I have found that I can skip the potato and still get a nice soup, sometimes rounding it out and adding "creaminess" with a dollop of cottage cheese stirred in the hot soup.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Funny this should come up today. I've made frozen pea soup and carrot, beet, ginger soup today. They're both fabulous! And I added a dollop of cottage cheese to one for lunch.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/163/150

Thanks for your replies. I just use one or two small potatoes, but if you can get by without them, that's okay, too. I grew up in Kansas and was raised on potatoes, so I'm never going to deny myself a potato! And you're right, soups are great in the winter, but the pureed ones seem so much more decadent to me!
IngridonWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #5  

Oh I consider potatoes to be a whole natural food, but I prefer to really "taste" my taters so I save them for more 'tater-centric preps. The thing with cottage cheese is that it adds protein which at least for me really amps up the "full- factor". Susan's carrot, beet, ginger soup sounds like something I might try with farmers market beets this weekend! I also like how these kinds of soups freeze well so I can make a big batch and freeze some so I always have variety which helps me from searching out the dumb stuff...
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

Height: 5'7"

i love these pureed soups, too. a favorite way to flavor them for me is to add a tsp of caraway seeds when i saute the onions. especially good with a cauliflower soup! or ginger and coriander for a more indian flavor, or cumin... the possibilities are endless. i also am a big fan of smoked paprika which gives a really unique and rich flavor.
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I make these all the time to take to the office with me for lunch. They're VERY filling, and give me multiple servings of veggies.

I've done all kinds of squashes, cauli, cabbage/carrot, etc.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

I've made these also and sometimes had them cold, pureed with a chunk of avocado.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 AM   #9  
restarted

S/C/G: 233/229/175

Height: 5'7"

YUM! I think I am going to make one of these tomorrow. Sounds delicious!
Coffee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #10  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Do you all use a blender??-- I'm too lazy. lots of pots and bowls to clean.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #11  

STick blender. That way you can blend it right in the pot and no messy shifting around or extra things to wash.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
STick blender. That way you can blend it right in the pot and no messy shifting around or extra things to wash.

yeah. gotta get me one. it's on the stuff to buy myself list
Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #13  

If you get one, make sure you get the kind that has the removable "stick" part. I looooove mine - and you can just pop the blender part and put it in the dishwasher along with everything else.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #14  
needs constant reminding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
If you get one, make sure you get the kind that has the removable "stick" part. I looooove mine - and you can just pop the blender part and put it in the dishwasher along with everything else.

good point. i'll keep that in mind
Old 12-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #15  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Wow these recipes sound great. I am going to try one today. I have lots of interesting vegetables at the local supermarket. I wonder how mushrooms would do?
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote