Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #1  
You can call me Chantili

S/C/G: 227/225/130

Height: 5'6

Default Back injury and weight gain

About 2 years ago, I was injured during a training exercise for my job. Unfortunately, the injury has left me with a permanent back injury, to which I have had 4 surgeries. Unfortunately, I can't exercise and this has caused me to put on far more weight than I care to even think about, but am forced to see everyday. The stress of the life change has caused me to revert back to compulsive overeating.

Is there anyone else out there who has had a serious back injury and gained lots of weight as a result of it?
Monkeybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #2  

you can't do anything , if you can walk you can exercise , I have friend who can't walk and he is in gym everyday lifting weights , what did doctor told you what you can't do ?
Markoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybean View Post
About 2 years ago, I was injured during a training exercise for my job. Unfortunately, the injury has left me with a permanent back injury, to which I have had 4 surgeries. Unfortunately, I can't exercise and this has caused me to put on far more weight than I care to even think about, but am forced to see everyday. The stress of the life change has caused me to revert back to compulsive overeating.

Is there anyone else out there who has had a serious back injury and gained lots of weight as a result of it?

I fell and broke my back in two places and gained a lot of weight during recovery. It still hurts quite a bit to be on my feet for more than 20 minutes or so ... spasm type pain, so I can't manage my favorite exercise (walking).

Last month I decided to restrict my carbohydrates and have lost about 14 pounds with another 25 or so pounds to go.

My diet consists mainly of low-carb type foods ... meat, fish, eggs, limited vegetables and copious amounts of water.

Perhaps this method isn't for everyone and I'm surely not promoting it that way, but it is a viable way to lose weight without exercise in the short term (although I don't see why it wouldn't work in the long term as well).
Starlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 222

Height: 5'8

I have back problems and the doctors told me not to stand, sit, lay, push, pull, lift, basicly anything.. so i gained weight... and then i relized the weight was hurting me more than the moving did.. so i got new doctors and they basicly put me in physical thearpy and taught me how to work out gently enough to where i could walk and do light stuff and once my core started getting stronger i do harder stuff i have no started to RUN! im really excited lol just dont give up and really dont let anyone tell you that you cant ..
atenderheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by atenderheart View Post
I have back problems and the doctors told me not to stand, sit, lay, push, pull, lift, basicly anything.. so i gained weight... and then i relized the weight was hurting me more than the moving did.. so i got new doctors and they basicly put me in physical thearpy and taught me how to work out gently enough to where i could walk and do light stuff and once my core started getting stronger i do harder stuff i have no started to RUN! im really excited lol just dont give up and really dont let anyone tell you that you cant ..

Physical therapy was prescribed by my doctor and I chose to ignore his advice. To this day, I don't know why but I suspect I was feeling very fragile and somewhat afraid. I've recently come to the conclusion that I made a huge mistake, so I congratulate you for following your new doctor's advice!

I'll probably be making arrangements soon for some PT since it's been just over a year and I'm pretty miserable with these back spasms that prevent me from doing even the smallest of tasks without having to stop and rest every 20 minutes.

I urge anyone who has sustained a back injury to follow the advice of their doctor if PT is prescribed!
Starlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 241/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlink View Post
I'm pretty miserable with these back spasms that prevent me from doing even the smallest of tasks without having to stop and rest every 20 minutes.

sorry for resurrecting an old thread but ^this^ has been my life too. 2 years before my first surgery I weighed 143 pounds. Today I am at a suicidal 237. It's now a year and a half since my last surgery and I'm feeling well enough to exercise. But I have the every 15-20 minute thing too so it's difficult.

Check with your doctor to make sure light exercise is ok then get yourself a big blue ball (mine is a 75cm Thera-Band but there are other sizes) Both times I've been in PT I've spent the majority of my time on the ball. Those of us with bad backs need to strengthen our core muscles, there are a bunch of them that can easily be done on the ball.

I also use it at my computer desk at home instead of a chair. Some say just simply sitting on it works the muscles in your back. I sit on it as often as I can and gently rock my hips back and forth, side to side. It's an excercise that I learned in PT and it works the lower back muscles without strain, impact or exertion.

I also work out on an elliptical machine. Most days I can do 5 pain free minutes (if its raining I can do 2 lol ) but I really think the ball is helping. I took almost 2100 steps today without needing a vicodin.

Good luck and feel better!
Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

I would not be able to function at all (or sleep) if I didn't take pain meds every day. I have permanent nerve damage in my back, and can't stand for very long, but rapid regular walking actually helps my back (I think most back injuries are helped by the right exercises, and get worse without them). Unfortunately, rapid walking doesn't help my knee that I injured last spring. So I'm trying to figure out new ways to exercise now that won't hurt my back or my knee.

How about doing pool exercises? The last time I had a serious episode with my back, the PT had me working in a pool till the doc finally sent me for an mri and it was discovered I needed surgery again for a cyst in my spine. The pool therapy doesn't put weight on your back like normal exercises do. I think it might be really helpful. See if your doc will prescribe it (if your insurance will cover it).
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote