View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Barbara Berkeley

Default More on this

Hello to all and thanks for following the conversation. I did not respond sooner as I subscribed to this thread but did not get an email that there were further posts. I'll check periodically.

First of all, I hope that those of you who have not read the book will do so. There is alot of information in the book which is not part of a "program". And, as I've said, any program should be looked at as something that can be modified and adapted to individual needs.

In terms of the artificial sweetener issue, I would say the same thing. In my experience, both personal and with patients, artificial sweeteners don't seem to cause a problem. I have not seen convincing evidence to suggest that they are dangerous, so i consider them a useful aid in weight reduction and in maintenance. If, on the other hand, any individual finds them overly stimulating to their appetite, I would tell them not to use them. My approach is always a pragmatic one. I think I'm going to blog about this soon actually. The diet that I suggest is not necessarily "pure" or "perfect". I 'm just trying to get as close as possible to what I believe we were best tailored to eat. I take into account the fact that we don't live in the paleolithic (thank goodness!), and try to incorporate things that make it a bit easier to stick mostly to Primarian types of food.

I also have to say, that many maintainers who post on the internet say that they are having success eating smaller amounts of what they did before. Many seem to be able to get along without restricting certain types of food. In my practice, however, I find that the vast majority of people fall off the wagon as soon as crackers, bagels, cookies, bread, etc...make a re-appearance. For those of you who are able to deal with S foods in smaller amounts, you are luck and you have the best solution to maintenance. I believe, though, that you are unique and are probably in the minority. Another explanation may be that early maintainers need to be tougher until they learn skills that they can later adapt.
Barbara Berkeley is offline   Reply With Quote