Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #1  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Default Cool Runners -- October Thread!

Welcome to October folks! A bright and shiny new month that we can run all over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm View Post
Hi girls, can I join in? I'm not a "proper" runner like you yet, but I'm up to week 2 of the C25K, and I've been lurking here all month.

I'm so inspired by what you have achieved. My plan is to do the C25K, then work up to a 10k, and there's a rather large 10k here in June every year that I want to run. It's organised by my local running club, so that's what my aim is at the moment.

Cheers girls!
A "proper" runner is anybody who is running -- no matter how far, how long, or how fast. You are most certainly a proper runner! How exciting to have a target race already, that will help motivate you through the C25k! We're glad to have you in the thread, post often and let everyone know how it is going!

Well, the "cool" front I want looking forward didn't quite happen but it was at least in the mid-70s (though really, really humid) this morning. I did 5.08 miles and felt fine but very, very sweaty even at 5:30 am. Ick.

There is an inaugural 5k to be held at a beach park right down from my house later this month that I may do because I can bike to it, do the race, then bike home. That sounds like fun!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I completely agree with your definition about a real runner. But sometimes you reach a point where it *feels* more real . And that, for me, is now! Because I'm in week 7 of C25K, and I'm not doing any more walking intervals! 25 minutes of running - but not 2.5 miles, like their schedule says. Somebody down there was on drugs when they decided to estimate distances based on a 10-minute mile. I mean, 6 weeks ago they had me running only 60 seconds at a time. Duh. I think I'm maybe doing a 12 or 12:30 mile, but haven't formally timed it. Not that I'm pushing speed right now at all, it's just fun to know.

It feels good. And my family is at least pretending to be suitably impressed too .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

Congratulations, Julie!!! Your family should be impressed, it's awesome!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hey all!

Last night was first day of running class and it was awesome to be running with a large group of people. There were about 20 of us or so. Right now we are doing walk 3 minutes, run 1 minute and I was actually near the front of the pack! Today was another run day on our schedule (we are to run 4 times/week) so I ran before my swim and it was good but not as fun as with the group. I can't wait until next Wednesday even though I was sooo nervous.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

How exciting Nelie! It sounds like the group running is alot of fun!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hey gals,

very cool on the "official" running Julie and Nelie... super wow on the group runs. Those are a bit intimidating for me. And Josephine... I don't think I ever gave you a solid "CONGRATs, awesome job!!!!" on the goal attained status you now have!!

My update is that I now am very proactive about making sure cars see me and allow me to proceed. Wild arm waving occurs regularly
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

Let's see, yesterday I did 3.27 miles (then did some walking later, too) and I'm planning on either a 9 or 10 miler on Monday morning as my weekly long run. Tomorrow I'm volunteering at the local triathlon that I've raced a couple of times. I'm looking forward to it.

The only thing I dislike about the really long runs is how absolutely drenched my clothes and hat (and I) get. It is still so warm and humid here that after about 5 miles (at 5:30 am) my clothes are saturated and no longer able to wick away the sweat. I haven't settled on a good solution for this. For my last 10 miler, I did a double loop route and used my mailbox as a water station AND a shirt/hat change at the halfway point. I think I need to do that again, but instead of doing the same loop twice maybe do 5 miles to the north of my mailbox and then 5 miles to the south of it. I need the change of scenery.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi everyone. I had a nice cool day to do 12 miles today, and my pacing was better than usual. That's one thing I really need to work harder on. For those of you who do run negative splits, do you have any tricks/tips on how you were able to get there? I generally do okay keeping some energy for the end, but it's the middle of the run where I slow down. I'd like to make it a little more linear on the speed from the beginning of the run.
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #9  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

oh wise running chicks, what is a negative split??
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

kittycat - I actually thought about that while I was running and thought I should explain, but of course forgot when I actually logged on!

Anyway, negative splits are when you run faster miles in your later miles than your earlier miles. The definitions I can find all say to run the last half of your race faster than your first half.

Hopefully I can learn some definitions I have been wondering about since I started running too - anyone care to explain the term fartlek to me?

jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

I think the only reason I run negative splits is that I'm more and more ready to be home as the run goes on and I start running faster to get there, lol. Plus I'm a cautious starter, always trying to conserve something for the end.

Fartlek is just a fancy Swiss term for speed work.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #12  
Just Me

Hey all,
I ran this morning. Our program had us increasing from 16 minutes to 24 minutes. I was actually amazed at how easier running seems in just a short period of time. I really wanted to just keep going but I know... start slow.. I want my legs to catch up to the demands that'll be placed on them.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #13  
Michelle the Vegan

This morning, I experienced the tragedy of running 10.11 miles while apparently wicked under-fueled. It wasn't pleasant and now I have to try and get barf out of my favorite running shoes.

I'll make EXTRA sure next time that I've eaten enough the 2 days prior to a long run. Duh.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 10-06-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/160/148

Hi October runners,
My computer caught a virus and I was so sad. I have been running 5K twice a week and trying to go for longer runs once a week. My knee was giving me a little grief but I think it worked itself out for now.

Josephine~I can't believe you were sick. poor you poor running shoes

Nelie~ great job on the 24 minute run and pacing yourself
lene1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #15  
Just Me

Tyler - sorry to hear that!

I came home after work and ran/walked for 22 minutes. (My training plan calls for 16). I then grabbed the dogs and went on a brisk walk with them for another 19 minutes. Tomorrow is swim!