Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default Good-bye fat ceremony

I've been thinking I would like to hold a ceremony to honor my fat and how it has been in my life and to formally say good-bye and release the amount of it I no longer need. I'm not thinking along the lines of a magic process to "make" myself lose weight, just a ceremony to honor where I'm at now. Not too elaborate. Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #2  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i haven't but i like your idea... sort of acknowledging that it is there, how it got there- i think it could be a really great way to get past any stumbling blocks on letting go. like for people (me) whos fat is sort of a security blanket, something to hide behind... cool idea.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Ooooh, I like that idea, too!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #4  
Nice Pants

S/C/G: 224/202/199

Height: 5' 10.4239"

Hmmm... will there be cake and ice cream at this event? If so, let me know when it starts!

Charlie
Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

I don't think I did an actual, physical ceremony, and there was definitely no *honoring* involved but I absolutely did some mentalizing (if that's even a word) to tell it goodbye. I decided that the fat wasn't mine - the real me (my dreams, thoughts, and ideas) didn't carry around fat cells so the ones I was hauling around on my body were simply not necessary - it was OK to let them go. Thanks for reminding me about it - I think I need to do a little more mental work to get myself past the nerves I've been having about being so close to goal.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #6  
Tammy73

S/C/G: 254/215/145

Height: 5'6"

I have never done this with regards to weight loss and fat, however, I went to treatment for addictions and we did a "burning bowl" ceremony to officially say good bye to our addictions.
What we did was to write a letter to our addiction saying how we felt about it, what brought us to this point and what we were going to do to change our lives. We then said good bye to our addiction and threw the letter into
a fire (or burning bowl) and let the letter burn.
It was such a cathartic and moving experience. I would highly recommend that if you want to do this sort of thing you should. It really gets you to think about your true feelings surrounding your issues (in this case weight and fat) and you get a chance to let go.
The process of burning the letter is a physical manifestation of the mental act of letting go of the past.
Can't speak for anyone else, but it was a very moving and powerful experience for me and you've reminded me that it would be a wonderful thing to do with my weight loss journey as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #7  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

This sounds like a wonderful idea.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #8  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I've done a whole lot of mental work around weight, so it shouldn't be hard to write a letter. I do want to appreciate what it has done for me, how it has helped me to deal with emotions and situations. Life has had some mountains to get over so far, and I've had to build up some emotional muscles along the way. But I do feel I can finally move forward without using food to cope. One day at a time.

I got some Bio Oil for stretch marks and have been using it twice a day, and that's been time to touch my fat and acknowledge it. (I've got quite a lot of stretch marks.) This is me, the only body I have.

Maybe I'll take a bath, use some good lotion, write a letter, read it to myself naked in the mirror, and burn it. Perhaps with some sage. You know, making food and/or drink part of the ceremony might be appropriate. My problem isn't eating. It's over-eating. Food or drink is often associated with transitions such as death, marriage and holidays. I'm not sure what exactly would be appropriate for me, so I'll have to give it some thought.
Closed Thread