Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Arrow This Week's Healthiest Food - ROMAINE LETTUCE

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...68e93580e

Love it! I buy the hearts, they come in a package of 3. So easy to clean. It is the bulk of most of my salads. Even when I make a salad using European greens or baby spinach, I always throw some romaine in there. It's also great for tuna wraps. And turkey breast wraps.

6 calories for 2 cups. And relatively inexpensive. I mean, come on. It's great stuff. I couldn't imagine living this healthy lifestyle without it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

It's my second choice for salads -- baby spinach comes first -- but romaine is great.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to eat a lot of it but found it was easier/quicker to just use precleaned baby spinach.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

I love Romaine - it's my favorite! Generally not that expensive either - win win!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #5  
LLV

This is a newfound love of mine. I used to DESPISE any lettuce except iceberg. And I especially hated romaine because I just couldn't get past the sticky-uppy 'ribs' down the center of each leaf. I still don't like the real dark and leafy pieces, but I love the hearts. I too buy them in the packs of 3 and use that as well as baby spinach (which I've always loved) for my salads. I still also love iceberg and mix some of that in as well. But at least my salads now are a mix of lettuces instead of all iceberg.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/268/175

Height: 6'1"

i love romaine. I need to dig up this recipe I have for rosemary grilled chicken on romaine.. it's amazing. I loathe iceberg, but will eat it in a pinch, and I hate endive. Ugh. But romaine..hmm..
Czarria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

I love all leafy greens, but I gotta say romaine is one of my favorites. Like rockingrobin says, I can't imagine living w/o it.

I use it on wraps, salads, shredded on top of vegetarian chili, I make a couscous salad with shrimp/cilantro/romaine that's out of this world. And let's face it, there would be no ceasar salad w/o it!

Here's a quote from WholeHealthMD:

"As a general rule, the darker green the leaves, the more nutritious the salad green. For example, romaine or watercress have seven to eight times as much beta-carotene, and two to four times the calcium, and twice the amount of potassium as iceberg lettuce. By varying the greens in your salads, you can enhance the nutritional content as well as vary the tastes and textures."
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I've found that it can be bitter depending on the time of year. It's starting to come in around here. I paid 69 cents for a huge head of it. Up until last week I bought the prepackaged stuff because a head of it was around $3!

Fit Day says that 2 cups shredded is 16 cals. That is quite a bit of shredded lettuce for only 16 cals.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #9  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

My aunt used to cook the outer dark green leaves just as you would greens. I've never had it cooked but use it all the time in salads and sandwiches. I have 2 bunches in the frig right now with lots of outer dark green leaves. Maybe I'll cook a few to try it out. I'll get back with the results.

OK, this is tomorrow and I've cooked the outer leaves of the Romaine lettuce just to see how it tastes and turns out and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's very nice as cooked greens-mild and the stems are still a bit crunchy. I steamed it for a few minutes and had it with my dinner. See the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooked Romaine.jpg (26.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by retiredone; 04-29-2008 at 10:45 AM.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Whenever I have a lot of lettuce that is on the last legs, I'll steam them with some garlic with a bit of chicken broth. It makes a nice side dish. I used to braise an entire head of lettuce for my familiy to have as a different side dish.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Iceberg will always be #1 with me, but romaine is a close second (along with arugula). I like the fact that it holds up well with dressing on it, whereas some of the other non-iceberg varieties of lettuce can get a little wilty pretty quickly.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #12  
LLV

And never fear, iceberg lettuce ISN'T as nutritionally deficient as everyone would like to believe. I too am an iceberg junky.

http://www.dietdetective.com/content/view/3164/3/
Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
My aunt used to cook the outer dark green leaves just as you would greens. I've never had it cooked but use it all the time in salads and sandwiches. I have 2 bunches in the frig right now with lots of outer dark green leaves. Maybe I'll cook a few to try it out. I'll get back with the results.

OK, this is tomorrow and I've cooked the outer leaves of the Romaine lettuce just to see how it tastes and turns out and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's very nice as cooked greens-mild and the stems are still a bit crunchy. I steamed it for a few minutes and had it with my dinner. See the attached picture.
Wow, I'd have never thought of doing that. I'm going to have to give it a try. I have seen on TV where they grill it, I bet that is good too, I love anything grilled.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
And never fear, iceberg lettuce ISN'T as nutritionally deficient as everyone would like to believe. I too am an iceberg junky.

http://www.dietdetective.com/content/view/3164/3/
Ha! I knew it! I've always said that even iceberg lettuce is roughage, so it couldn't be completely devoid of nutrition. And it's 95% water; water is good for you. Finally my iceberg lettuce habit is justified! Thanks, LLV, I'm definitely going to bookmark that page.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
Ha! I knew it! I've always said that even iceberg lettuce is roughage, so it couldn't be completely devoid of nutrition. And it's 95% water; water is good for you. Finally my iceberg lettuce habit is justified! Thanks, LLV, I'm definitely going to bookmark that page.
You're very welcome. I was happy to read that as well, since all the time people are saying, "Why oh why do you eat iceberg lettuce, it has no nutritional value whatsoever!"

Well, yes it does. And even when I thought it didn't, I didn't care because it was something I could pile high and make a meal out of with very few calories.