Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default I had no idea chicken thighs had so much fat/cal

6 grams of fat and 100 calories for just one! I knew they were dark meat but I never realized. Picked up 4 packs yesterday because they were cheap and then checked them on Calorie King. OMG! Is there such thing as inexpensive dieting?
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I carry a lot of fat on my thighs as well. Ha ha!

Last edited by bethbeth; 03-07-2008 at 01:35 PM.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #3  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

CrazedLedZepFan: I hear that! LOL

I'll tell you what I do, I buy Chicken Cutlets instead of chicken breasts. The cutlets are just a little over 4oz each (two per pack) and they work out to be about 1/2 the price of regular chicken breasts. I started doing this last summer when we would BBQ chicken for dinner and everyone had huge portions and my chicken breast, which I usually had to cut in half to keep within portion guidelines was so tiny it made me want to cry. So the next time I shopped I bought regular breasts for everyone else and cutlets (lean white meat) for myself. When my SO BBQ'd them he looked at his and looked at mine and was disappointed that his looked smaller even though mine weighed about half of his! LOL If you're only cooking for yourself then cutlets are ideal. On the other hand I suppose they're still perfect for family cooking, about 1/2 the price and they're a proper portion so kids especially learn what a portion is.

Just keep in mind they're a lot faster to cook on a BBQ or indoor grill then your typical breast...so be careful not to burn it.

I don't eat dark meat at all, even when I wasn't eating healthier just because I'm not a fan of the taste. For sure dark meat is much higher in calories and fat though so that's something to keep in mind next time you're looking for a deal! I've found that short of the produce section, very seldom is there a VERY good deal on the leanest meats (X-lean Ground Beef, Chicken, Sirloin Steak, etc)...it's one of those things that sucks about changing the way you eat...but there are less expensive alternatives to get your protein (which I find is the most expensive part of my grocery shopping). I use lots of beans/lentils and also buy veggie ground round (soy) and make a huge pot of chilli or spaghetti sauce. It's a bit less expensive and very healthy!

Cheers,
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #4  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I love dark meat, I use it a lot in stews and soups. You can trim off a lot of the fat that is on the thigh and it should cut the fat down. Also when you use it in any sort of soup you can skim off the excess fat that accumulates...
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #5  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

There is a huge difference in chicken thighs and chicken breasts. There can even be a huge difference in different brands of chicken breasts. I happen to have both here. They have the amounts on the package. Here is an example of what I mean

Chicken Thigh ( I broke everything down to 1 thigh in the package )
Calories 145 4oz includeing bone
Fat 8

Chicken breast boneless 4 oz
Calories 100
Fat 1

I am very careful which chicken breasts I buy. They can have as much as 5 grams of fat for the same 4 oz size.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
The cutlets are just a little over 4oz each (two per pack) and they work out to be about 1/2 the price of regular chicken breasts.
Actually ... that's really self-deceptive thinking.

Chicken cutlets at my store run $5.69 / lb. Yes, if you buy one pack with 4 cutlets, then it's a $5 pack.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts regularly run $3.99 / lb and can be gotten on sale for $2.49 / lb if you watch carefully. Yes, a pack with 4 breasts is $12, but that doens't mean that the cutlets are 1/2 the price. It means that you're getting less than 1/2 the amount of meat for nearly 2x the price.

You're much better off waiting for chicken breasts to go on sale and then cutting them in slices and freezing them.

I just can't bring myself ot pay $5 for a package of thin breast cutlets. It makes my soul hurt.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #7  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I buy this kind at save a lot. 6.99 for 2.5 lbs. That is 10 4oz chicken breasts. With only 1 gram of fat for 4 oz. Well worth the price.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #8  

There's typically a lot of visible fat on boneless/skinless chicken thighs that's pretty easy to remove - that helps a lot. Also, I never used to be a big fan of dark meat, but have to admit that it's definitely more "meaty" tasting, and I can usually get away with eating less while still being satisfied because it tastes so much richer.

I find that thighs work really well on thr grill - they don't dry out as quickly as chicken breasts can. Asian marinades work really well! One of my favorites uses soy, garlic, ginger, honey and cilantro, and the bold marinade is a great match with the dark meat of the thighs.
Sorcha33 is offline   Reply With Quote